shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-educating myself where food is concerned

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh RT i love some full fat things where i know that other subs DON'T taste the same. i try to have real butter in all my baking and cooking...i just use smart balance spread for things like toast. also i love using EVOO as well in things. and sometimes i sub cream in for whole milk in cooking, because a tablespoon of cream never hurt anyone in a recipe! hehe. but for drinking milk or milk in cereal or making mashed potatoes or mac and cheese, i use 1% or 2% milk...because the recipe calls for more of it. but a tablespoon of cream or a tablespoon of butter or EVOO...i always use it if i can instead of subbing. i love using low-fat buttermilk rather than milk in some recipes, esp for baking.

some things to me taste totally the same. low-fat cheddar? awesome in mac and cheese mixed with gruyere and parm. 2% or 1% milk in mashed potatoes and with some low-fat sc? just as creamy to me. i have been eating low-fat SC for YEARS...and i don't even taste one whit of diff between that and full fat. so i definitely think we all have our guilty little pleasures and knowledge about what we are willing to trade off for...hehee..but for someone who is just starting out to figure out how to learn how to eat healthily, i tend to suggest that they try the lower-fat versions or egg-white only or whatever and see if they actually like them because that's half the battle.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, good point. It just now went off in my head that HELLO, I don''t *drink* milk, juice, make mashed potatoes, or eat cereal, and very rarely make grilled cheeses (I can''t get them as good as my grandmother).

It''s not for any real reason, I just don''t...

So if you do, try the lo fat stuff!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Maisie,
I live in Ireland so we have a lot of the same food brands over here. For breackfast I always have crunchy nut cornflakes. I used to do weight watchers and they are the same points as normal cornflakes and you dont need sugar on them as they are a bit sweeter than the normal ones anyway.

For lunch when you do sandwiches, change the bread to wholemeal if they are currently eating white bread. If they are sick of fruit, try some of the fruitini mini tins in their own fruit juice. They''re delicous. The elevenses breakfast bars are delicious for a snack(think they are kelloggs).

Try adding some salad with dinners also. My little sister adores noodles too so it might be another one worth trying

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in college, I babysat many kids in New York City. It was interesting to note their parents'' rules for food. One girl was the daughter of a famous actress and her parents gave her a very balanced diet. Healthy home cooked meals most of the time, with only 2 sugary treats a day (e.g. a frozen fruit bar and a piece of candy). They also ordered takeout once or twice a week, which would be "popular foods" like chinese food or pizza. She never begged for certain types of food (except candy, but she always adhered to the 2 treats a day rule). She also happily ate the "healthy" foods that she was given because she knew there would be takeout once a week.

Another girl was completely deprived of tasty foods that SHE liked (she had to eat whatever her parents wanted to eat), so at home she only ate lowfat, low calorie, low this and that foods. She would beg for french fries and maybe once in two months of begging she would be allowed "junk" food, which she would absolutely BINGE on. She always told me that she hated the foods her parents made her eat.

It''s important for your kids to understand WHY they need to undergo diet changes. It would also be nice for them to feel like THEY are making the choice to eat healthier, rather than being told to do so. Give them healthy cookbooks with pictures and ask them what they would like to make for dinner. If they like books, give them kid''s versions of nutritional books.

Like nejarb and Mara said, introduce the changes little by little, and I think you should try to explain WHY. Kids are always hungry so make sure there are lots of healthy snacks. Some ideas:
-yogurt with fruit
-buy popcorn kernels and pop them over your stove...no butter, just a little bit of oil and a tiny sprinkle of salt
-frozen waffles
-frozen grapes
-frozen fruit bars/popsicles
-jello cups
-carrots and dip
-string cheese sticks
-peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
-fruit
-cereal bars/granola bars
-one small bag of chips/crisps per person each week (only buy a little bit at a time so no one ends up eating the whole bag)
-make your own pizzas with a thick slice of whole wheat bread, some tomato sauce and some shredded cheese on top

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Bee.
I''m glad you mentioned Crunchy nut cornflakes! My kids were horrified at the thought of no more Frosties!! I think most of them will eat some salad but I know James won''t.... bloody bugger!
9.gif

Thanks for the list of goodies CrownJewel. Its really helpful to have lots of different foods for them to try so they don''t get fed up and feel like I am depriving them in some way. I agree that there should be some flexibility where junk food is concerned. I don''t want them to go all out for burgers and sweet stuff once they are away from home. That would undo the good I am trying to do here. If I allow them the things they fancy every so often they shouldn''t feel like they are missing out too much.

Thankyou again for responding!!

Maisie

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
RT, I agree w/ you about fat and flavor. I love fat. Especially butter and olive oil. And obviously when you''re cooking and baking, your food is going to end up better when you use enough oil or butter. Believe me, you don''t need ot be Italian to be religious about pasta (or French to take cheese seriously). But in my case, I had to adjust from making the taste and quality of food my #1 priority, to trying to balance that with my health. I''m not unhealthy, but I noticed trends that if unchecked, would lead me down the wrong path and I''m only 26 so it''s just better to make changes now than to wait until a doctor tells me to when I''m 50 or something. I used to eat a fair amt of cheese (good cheese) and never took yolks out of eggs. My cholest was 207, so I decided to change this. And I also saw that I was gaining a little weight, so I started using a little less oil when I cook and even substituting some low fat cheeses (just for stuff like monterey jack in omeletts or nuefachel instead of cream cheese on a bagel).

As for pasta, I find that the whole wheat makes me full longer and so I usu eat this for lunch if I just make pasta & sauce for myself at home. also, I think it has more fiber and nutrients. But usu I use regular pasta b/c it tastes better.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I got up at 7.30 this morning. I am really impressed with myself as I normally find it very difficult to wake up. I made the kids lunch and spent time listening to my 8 year old read too. I feel great!

We went shopping last night and I didn''t buy any chocolate biscuits, chips or anything else which would be deemed unhealthy! I bought raw nuts and yoghurts and fresh meat and vegetables and loads of fruit too.

I am going to cook meals from scratch instead of using things like ready made pizzas and fish fingers etc.

My hubby is slightly daunted by the new plan but he says he is 100% behind me and will help all he can. Don''t you love it when they are willing to give something up for you? Just need him to stop smoking now!

I will be reading and trying out the recipes posted on here too.

Thank you very much for the support you have given me!

Maisie xx

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re definitely doing the right thing Maisie. If the junk food isnt in the house, your children wont be able to eat it. Im trying to eat healthy at the moment and the amount of walkers and other crisps in the house makes it very hard to resist when Im hungry! Ive managed to resist so far!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well done Bee! I couldn''t resist the crisps which is why I can''t buy them! The only things I have now are James'' crisps and I hate cheesy puffs so they are safe!

I keep thinking about how much fitter and hopefully slimmer I will be once I get into this healthy eating. I have a year and two months to lose a considerable amount of weight before Gary and I go to Jamaica to renew our vows.

I was overweight when we got married so i really want to look gorgeous this time!

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Maisie! Also, take a look at Mara''s Healthier Recipe thread, she has some incredible recipes that are healthy and drool worthy!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 4:29:51 AM
Author: Maisiebelle
Well I got up at 7.30 this morning. I am really impressed with myself as I normally find it very difficult to wake up. I made the kids lunch and spent time listening to my 8 year old read too. I feel great!

We went shopping last night and I didn''t buy any chocolate biscuits, chips or anything else which would be deemed unhealthy! I bought raw nuts and yoghurts and fresh meat and vegetables and loads of fruit too.

I am going to cook meals from scratch instead of using things like ready made pizzas and fish fingers etc.

My hubby is slightly daunted by the new plan but he says he is 100% behind me and will help all he can. Don''t you love it when they are willing to give something up for you? Just need him to stop smoking now!

I will be reading and trying out the recipes posted on here too.

Thank you very much for the support you have given me!

Maisie xx

Maisie, It sounds like you are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle. Congrats!!

When my kids were little, I would mix half regular pasta with half whole wheat pasta. Then I would chop up carrots into REALLY small bits and add them to the sauce. Once they were cooked, they blended right into the spaghetti sauce and they never knew the difference. You can also put cooked veggies in a food processor and then add them to dishes - they will never know the difference.
37.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
''When my kids were little, I would mix half regular pasta with half whole wheat pasta. Then I would chop up carrots into REALLY small bits and add them to the sauce. Once they were cooked, they blended right into the spaghetti sauce and they never knew the difference. You can also put cooked veggies in a food processor and then add them to dishes - they will never know the difference.''

Thats a great idea! I will definitely try that for James! Thankyou
9.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
You''ve got a lot of great suggestions here. I know you aren''t into too much cooking or baking YET but if you made these and the house smells of cinnamon I''ll bet you''ll have some takers. First let me say this recipe is a little time consuming and is probably higher in calories than a dieting adult would want but kids and teens that are at a good weight need fats, lots of flavor, texture and nutrition. This recipe is a good way to introduce the flavor of carrots and apples.

2 cups flour (280g)
1 1/4 cup sugar (210 gm)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
1 1/2 cups shredded apples (1 large)
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans
(I don''t always have all these ingredients so I just use what I have)

3 beaten eggs
1/2 to 3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together the moist. Mix together the dry. Stir together in large bowl.
Spoon batter into muffin pans (Grease pan or line with paper liners)
Bake at 375 degrees (190C or 5 gas mark) for 18-20 minutes. Makes 24 muffines. 200 calories each.

PS I get my kids to help, I do the shredding and let them measure everything else. When kids are involved in preparing food, they enjoy eating it. Good luck.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried keeping a food diary for everyone and then putting the info in a nutritional programme?

I've been using Cron-O-Meter for 2 weeks now and it's amazing to see how unhealthy some of the foods we think of as 'healthy' really are. It's a free programme you can download, but as it's still in the early stages of programming, you'd need to have separate accounts on the pc to input everyone's data separately. Not too difficult to set up though...

You can use the defaults that will give you the calories and nutritional information to maintain your weight (different for men and women, using activity levels and based on your current weight) or you can alter them if you want to lose a bit of weight. It defaults to 30:30:40 i.e. 30% of calories from protein, 30% from fat and 40% from carbohydrates, but you can change these.

It's helped me to make healthier choices - mushrooms have the same amount of protein per gram as milk for less fat and calories! The only downside is that it's based on american nutritional data so sometimes foods are a little more difficult to find. Eggplant = aubergine, zucchini = courgette etc.......

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swingirl that recipe sounds lovely. I will definitely try it and I bet the kids would love to help out.

I feel a bit embarrassed that I am so hopeless! Its really weird, I am educated, sensible and not unintelligent but when it comes to food I am useless! Its been far too easy to just bimble along buying convienence foods and junk. I should have thought about this long ago!

Just_looking I will look for that programme you mentioned. I''m a bit scared as I bet its going to show me just how badly we eat! I am sure it will be most helpful!!

Thankyou both
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results