shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
I plan on re-cutting a 1.60 old miner''s cut into a RBC. Will the new stone be more brilliant than the old? It is an I color but faces up beautiful. I am also going to place it into a three stone ring with a princess cut on each side. Should I buy a pair of matched princess earrings and use those for the side stones? Also, what are the pro''s and con''s on white gold vs. platinum. Thanks for any advice!

pelepup

Rough_Rock
I would say, if you are trying to customize a ring, you would want to make sure your side stones match your center diamond at least in color and are proportional to your center stone. The size will change and possibly color and clarity so you will want to hold off buying the side stones until you get your center stone cut. Is that mine cut diamond a family stone? Did you have someone give you an estimate of how much weight you will lose when the stone is cut? It could be significant. Have you thought about keeping the stone as is? Old mine cuts are becoming prized. Take a look at some of the antique jewelry websites and you may get a different feeling about your diamond.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mike, are you looking to recut that Old Mine Cut into a round or a princess cut? I was under the impression in your last post that you were considering a round. Was that correct?

If so, I was curious why you're putting two princess cuts next to a round? Have you seen that combo somewhere and liked it? The reason I ask is because it seems like an ungainly match to me. Are you sure you wouldn't rather go with (3) rounds, or a round with (2) pearshapes, or (2) trillions?

But to answer your question, yes the recut round (if cut with a fine make) will look more brilliant than the Old Mine Cut. As several posters have pointed out, it's almost a shame to remodel antiquity, but the truth is the OMC doesn't hold a candle to the RBC in light performance. And if the stone holds sentimental value, it's still the same stone, just "upgraded". Grandma's vibes are still gonna be attached to it regardless (unless you have it exorcised...hah hah hah)

Go with platinum, by the way. At least for the settings, if nothing else.
It's a lot safer metal.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Hi Richard... Thanks for all the info and help. The reason my Gf wants to re-cut it is she wants it updated and it would make it more ours instead of her mothers. I thought that the larger table of the Rbc might make it match the two side princess cuts better. She has her heart set on the two princess cuts on either side. Like you, I'm not a big fan of that configuration but she is the one who will be wearing it. Also it(the center stone) is I color and will it look better in platinum or white gold? If the re-cut stone weighs in around 1.25cts what size side sidestones would you recommend? I value your opinion and thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results