shape
carat
color
clarity

RB 2.00 G SI2 with full specs... What do you think??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mark D

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone… This forum is great! I have spent 2 months on here and have learned so much!!! It has helped me so much through my search of a diamond. I think I am getting close!

He is the diamond I am currently looking at. Please tell me what you think. I have not seen it in person yet but my jeweler says it is a very good SI2. I will have to be the judge of that.

The price is around $12K which I think is great. Please let me know what you think just from the specs?
I will be seeing it tomorrow and let you know what I think…
GIA certified:

Round Brilliant

8.06 x 8.10 x 4.95
Weight: 2.00
Cut: Very Good
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Table: 56%
Depth: 61.3%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick
Crown Angle: 35.0
Pavillion Angle: 40.2

HCA: 0.9

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Providing you find the diamond to be eye clean, and attractive ( that part is likely), it sounds like you''re in great shape!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:04:08 PM
Author:Mark D

Hi everyone… This forum is great! I have spent 2 months on here and have learned so much!!! It has helped me so much through my search of a diamond. I think I am getting close!

He is the diamond I am currently looking at. Please tell me what you think. I have not seen it in person yet but my jeweler says it is a very good SI2. I will have to be the judge of that.

The price is around $12K which I think is great. Please let me know what you think just from the specs?
I will be seeing it tomorrow and let you know what I think…
GIA certified:

Round Brilliant

8.06 x 8.10 x 4.95
Weight: 2.00
Cut: Very Good
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Table: 56%
Depth: 61.3%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick
Crown Angle: 35.0
Pavillion Angle: 40.2

HCA: 0.9
Hi Mark,

The pavilion angle is shallow on this diamond, so check it carefully for potential obstruction issues, see if it looks dark when you look at it closely. This can be caused by the shadow of your head/ body due to the shallow pav angle. Check also it is eyeclean to your standards as David advises.

Do you have any others on your list?

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would be interested in more opinions also. I thought the price might be a little lower than expected.......is the cut not really good enough for most PSers?
40.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We generally want to see the pavilion angle at 40.6 to 41. Stick with excellent cut and you''ll be in a safer range, although there are some better choices than others within GIA excellent.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 3:53:29 PM
Author: rainierinspring
I would be interested in more opinions also. I thought the price might be a little lower than expected.......is the cut not really good enough for most PSers?
40.gif
As DS says it is the pavilion angle, in this range it can be iffy, ones that are definitely shallow like 40.2 can be prone to obstruction issues as I explained above. Now even if it does look dark at close scrutiny, if it looks fine overall then it might not be a problem for you anyway, just pointing it out that it is possible. There is no way for us to tell for sure as we can't see the diamond, but check it out carefully as suggested and see what you think. If it is eyeclean, you like it and the price is right ( and if it does look darker at close examination and it doesn't bother you) then it could be fine.

The video here shows what to look for with head obstruction, lower right by Garry H.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/

Mark D

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all you help...! I will have too see the diamond in person. I just thought for the price it may be an option.. Have you seen a diamond with a pavillion angle like the one i listed perform well? It has an HCA of 0.9? Do you think i should still give this stone any consideration?

Mark D

Rough_Rock
is the main reason this diamond is a Very Good cut ter pavillion angle...? Could this have been an Excellent Cut if the angle was better? How are the rest of the specs?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 9:22:24 PM
Author: Mark D
is the main reason this diamond is a Very Good cut ter pavillion angle...? Could this have been an Excellent Cut if the angle was better? How are the rest of the specs?
yes it got VG because of the pavilion angle, it would be a nice diamond for an earring or pendant which is why it got a good hca score.
The lower half/girdle % however could bring that into question also.
It is critical with those numbers.

Mark D

Rough_Rock
Karl,

Could this make a nice ring..... or have you given up hope just from the specs?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:11:12 AM
Karl,

Could this make a nice ring..... or have you given up hope just from the specs?
Do you know what the lower girdle/half % is?
It will be a number on the report between 70 and 85
Even with good lgf% for someone with good eyesight or dark hair/skin or short arms it might not be the best.
For someone who is half blind it might not matter.
It would likely look fine at 2 feet-3 feet.

Mark D

Rough_Rock
i dont have the report infront of me... i am seeing the stone tomorrow....

I assume by you half blind comment... i should probably stay away from it?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:20:30 AM
i dont have the report infront of me... i am seeing the stone tomorrow....

I assume by you half blind comment... i should probably stay away from it?
check it out but make sure you view it in many lighting conditions and particularly up close at 1/2 arm length and holding it up to your face like someone is showing it to you on their hand.
If you can compare it to another diamond under the same conditions.

But to be honest I would keep looking myself but a better cut stone will cost a lot more also so it might be worth it.

Mark D

Rough_Rock
what are the bad aspects of the diamond i should look for when viewing it tomorrow.... Should i notice the bad qualities from first glance? thanks for your help!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:23:57 AM
what are the bad aspects of the diamond i should look for when viewing it tomorrow.... Should i notice the bad qualities from first glance? thanks for your help!
overly dark zones and overall dark look under the table will be the main problem area to check on.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic..
See how the arrow shafts are a lot darker than the heads?

shaftsalotdarkerthanheads.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a better combo.
Notice how the shafts are still visible but they are not jet black and are lighter than the heads, about the same darkness as the heads would be good also.

bettercombo.jpg

Mark D

Rough_Rock
I see.. Thanks!!!

I am going to take a look at it and compare it to an better known diamond... I think it would be good too see in person so I know what to look for in the future...

So you would want to use this type of diamond in an earring because it still looks good from a far...right?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 12:37:33 AM
I see.. Thanks!!!

I am going to take a look at it and compare it to an better known diamond... I think it would be good too see in person so I know what to look for in the future...

So you would want to use this type of diamond in an earring because it still looks good from a far...right?
correct, they can look better from a distance than some diamonds that look better closer.
There is also some indications that they are less affected by hairspray on the pavilion than diamonds with deeper pavilion.

Mark D

Rough_Rock
thanks for your help! I will let you know how it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results