shape
carat
color
clarity

Rate this Stone!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Came across a round brilliant that looks appealing (to my novice eye) - see here for the link to 360 video, youtube.com/shorts/rmkfBubMfKE and attached GIA report.

The price looks good, but I know next to nothing about proportions, etc. Jeweler says he does not have an ASET/IdealScope so I am asking if he could get them. Thanks!
round gia.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very promising in the video. Hope you can get an ASET/Ideal-Scope image to confirm the light return.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
It looks very promising in the video. Hope you can get an ASET/Ideal-Scope image to confirm the light return.

Thank you Kim for a quick reply! Do the proportions look ok to you as well?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
55 stars 57 table with a 36 degree crown angle is not a good start.
I would not consider it without ASET or at least IS images.
There is room in the gia rounding for it work but I would want to see proof of that.

edit: thanks @Kim N for pointing out my misread, post corrected.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
55 stars 57 table with a 36 degree crown angle is not a good start then the 40.8 pavilion is steep for the combo.
I would not consider it without ASET or at least IS images.
There is room in the gia rounding for it work but I would want to see proof of that.

Did you mean the 40.6 pavilion is still too steep?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Did you mean the 40.6 pavilion is still too steep?

woops I misread it, 40.6 has a better chance of working under the table, but because of the 55 stars and potential over steep uppers I would still want advanced images.
The stars should be 50% or under actual numbers.
If rounding to the neatest 5 then 45% would be a better sign than 55%.

Last edited:

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both - I will definitely need the advanced images before considering!

Is there a thread with a cheat sheet on all of this information?! It's like another language :think: very impressive!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both - I will definitely need the advanced images before considering!

Is there a thread with a cheat sheet on all of this information?! It's like another language :think: very impressive!

These are the PS member-recommended proportions.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
These are the PS member-recommended proportions.

So helpful, thank you Kim!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous in the video and I personally love the visual of a high crown (my stone also has a 16% crown height).
But one thing I want to point out for you to consider is that this is stone is small for its carat weight. I have a 2.01 that would also be considered small for weight and it is larger than this one… mine measures 8.01 - 8.07 x 5.06 mm. It is said that a properly sized 2 carat should be closer to 8.10 mm. With that said, I’ve seen excellently cut 2 cts that were lower than 8.10 and I personally think what the stone looks like and how it performs is the most important, and we aren’t talking about a huge percentage off but I just want you to have full disclosure on this. With all that said, while the stone may not measure out with the same spread as a 2 ct of larger mm size, depending on how it is set it can still have the same overall impact, just in a different way.

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks gorgeous in the video and I personally love the visual of a high crown (my stone also has a 16% crown height).
But one thing I want to point out for you to consider is that this is stone is small for its carat weight. I have a 2.01 that would also be considered small for weight and it is larger than this one… mine measures 8.01 - 8.07 x 5.06 mm. It is said that a properly sized 2 carat should be closer to 8.10 mm. With that said, I’ve seen excellently cut 2 cts that were lower than 8.10 and I personally think what the stone looks like and how it performs is the most important, and we aren’t talking about a huge percentage off but I just want you to have full disclosure on this. With all that said, while the stone may not measure out with the same spread as a 2 ct of larger mm size, depending on how it is set it can still have the same overall impact, just in a different way.

Thank you for providing this very helpful context! I currently have a cushion cut, which notoriously face up smaller than their weight, and I would very much like to stay away from a smaller spread if possible. This being my first foray into rounds, I did not know this. Thank you again!

Godrick

Shiny_Rock
Here is ASET image from the stone above
icm_150x150.587892017_e94r2plx9s00okoow444.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results