• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been looking recently for a 2ct ruby for a pendant necklace and been leaning towards the heirloom quality side. I have a couple in consideration but this one has my eye for the moment and am pretty close to buying it. Would love to hear all of the knowledgeable people's thoughts, especially on the color.

2ct, Mozambique origin, medium fluorescence, no heat treatments, GIA certificate, a little less than $10k USD

Video link: https://streamable.com/v719bo

Thank you for any feedback, let me know how i did :)!

Ruby2.jpeg Ruby1.jpeg

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It definitely is beautiful!

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
What do people think of the color, a bit too dark?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
A little bit on the dark side, might look darker when set, but a lovely gem nevertheless. I love the colour, not too pinkish.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me but I am a bit skeptical that this ruby will not be overly dark. My skepticism is due to buying a similar color (on video) "stop light red spinel" that really disappointed me when I received it. Only after buying it did I really step back and look at all the facets in the video that seemed to reflect back a black color, and I see this in the pictures you posted. The vendor was so reputable I just assumed the spinel would be beautiful, but it was so different in real life that I first thought it was a different stone and a mistake.

Can you get more pics and videos in various lighting conditions? Does the vendor have a good return policy and are you confident that shipping a return will not be an issue?

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
@Lisa Loves Shiny / @T L, thank you for the feedback, I know that Ruby pricing is very fickle and a lot of it hinges on color, so that's what I was a bit afraid of in regards to color. Here is another video:

For the price I am paying, I would like something that really has that ruby shine and doesnt come off as a Garnet. This seems to have great transparency and little to no inclusions, so maybe the color is what is off a little bit? I am really not sure, should i ask the seller for a video in specific lighting conditions?

Also, I believe i can return it, but it would be international shipping, so if there are any doubts I would rather not proceed and perhaps try one of the other domestic ones on my list since I am a bit worried about international shipping issues.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think the price of this ruby is quite high for the color.
I don't know if you're familiar with spinel but you can find a beautiful red of your choosing for a better price.

Here's an example of one that is a brighter red and half the price of the ruby you're considering.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
The pictures are taken in a lightbox, the background and hand are edited in.
I tried twice with this vendor, neither ruby looked like the pictures - I was quite disappointed. When you are ask for “real” pictures you just get more of the same. I got really frustrated.

Return policy was fine, still very annoying

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like that tone, but to me it’s too much looking like a garnet. Toning towards orange / brown. Also check the measurements, they always look bigger in the photos / videos.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

So that's why it seems so disproportionate for a 2ct next to that finger? I was wondering if it's cut deeper than it is wider.

For the price I am paying, I would like something that really has that ruby shine and doesnt come off as a Garnet.

In that case that's probably not the stone for you. Corundum is fickle, it changes appearances with the light. That's why it's recommended when buying online to request photos and videos in different types of light - sunlight, daylight shade, indoor office, incandescent, so on. Hell, the last thing I ordered even had a picture of it stuck under the desk to show how the colour performs.

While this stone is beautiful, it definitely seems to have some orange undertones, so it's possible it will brown out when you lose the light. In order to have something bright you need a lighter tone and stronger fluorescence.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
I tried twice with this vendor, neither ruby looked like the pictures - I was quite disappointed. When you are ask for “real” pictures you just get more of the same. I got really frustrated.

Return policy was fine, still very annoying

@VividRed ,

Yes, I asked for more pics/videos in natural light and got more light box vids. Any idea if these change the tone at all? I will ask one more time for more natural pics then probably just give up. How was your return shipping with this vendor, any issues?

It still does seem a bit too dark without a bunch of light pointed at it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems really dark and a stone I would pass over if spending $10K.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the price of this ruby is quite high for the color.
I don't know if you're familiar with spinel but you can find a beautiful red of your choosing for a better price.

Here's an example of one that is a brighter red and half the price of the ruby you're considering.

This stone is beautiful in real life and I had the privilege of seeing it in person when I met up with Gary earlier this year in Tucson!

DK :kiss2:

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
What do people think of my budget for a ruby that i am after, realistic?

$10k, 2ct (ish), heating ok (no 'heavy' resin though), pear shape, any origin, nice color, not perfect transparency/clarity but not heavily included

Any vendors to try in particular (i have reached out to a couple on the list). Seems like stuff online might generally be a bit on the darker side. Thanks for any pointers.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

$10k, 2ct (ish), heating ok (no 'heavy' resin though), pear shape, any origin, nice color, not perfect transparency/clarity but not heavily included

Any vendors to try in particular (i have reached out to a couple on the list). Seems like stuff online might generally be a bit on the darker side. Thanks for any pointers.

Yes, and maybe a few thousand over for a ruby is achievable in your chosen shape, especially heated. Rubies in perfect clarity are not the norm, most have some level of silk. This is what makes a ruby. If perfect clarity/crystal body is what you're after spinel, ruby's 'sister' is a better choice, and in very top color will approach ruby prices.

It's a search and likely will take time to find a pear shape.
The biggest obstacle comes in shape. You won't find exactly what you're looking for right away.
Pear is not as common so it might take a while to find one in the 2ct range that is worth the money. Rubies vary wildly in price on parameters that may or not be worth the price differences to the average consumer. Many are overpriced for what they are.
In this case asking someone(there are many) like https://www.enhoerning-jewelry.com or https://www.finewatergems.com to search for one, or asking some of these vendors(there are many) on Instagram to search would be your best bet.
There are pros and cons to each method.

It really comes down to looking for rubies on Insta/Etsy/online storefronts. They must be certed to be considered.
The one thing I will always caution against is to overpay for a species of stone that is not to type just because it's a ruby, sapphire, emerald etc.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rubies are expensive and tricky to purchase.
No 1 is you need a reputable vendor with an appropriate lab certificate. Because rubies are so desirable there is no shortage of people who will attempt to turn a “sows ear to a silk purse”. Heating is expected but high heat and/or the additions of additives is not ok unless you know that’s what you are buying.
Rubies come in different hues, saturation and tone. This has a significant impact on price especially if matched with a desirable origin ie Burma. In my opinion you want a ruby that looks like a ruby. Not looking like a garnet.
Fluorescence is important, it’s a significant trait that sets rubies apart from other red gemstones (note Spinel is similar and accordingly also up there is price and desirability too.
Your desire for a pear shape is a bit tricky too. Rubies are generally cut to maximise end carat weight and that usually means cushion / oval shape, they are also cut along the axis that gives the best colour, again having an impact of end shape.
And like diamonds, there is a dramatic “price jump” at certain carat weights. Over 2 carats is a significant size for a ruby so the price increases exponentially. Over 5 carats, be prepared to sell your house!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results