Worth it

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
So wanted to start another thread, since the first thread I have learned a fair amount about Rubies and wanted to see if my 'aim' is getting better :). This Ruby was found via the help of a forum partner so some markup in the price is expected. However, it still fits into my previous conditions i was looking for. This will be used in a pendant necklace.

The color seems to be pretty good, and the dimensions for the carat size are also good, price ~$9.5k, the part that has to give in this case is the clarity a bit. Let me know your thoughts!

1.7 cts (but 9x7x4mm), burmese origin, slight inclusions near the edge, heat treated with minor residue (seems standard for this region), strong fluorescence, ok clarity, GIA report

Video links:

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 11.26.08 AM.png Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 11.26.08 AM.png Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 11.27.10 AM.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With strong fluorescence I would ask how pink it goes.
That’s just me tho. I have a no heat Tanzanian that goes more pink than i’d like, knowing what I know now.

I’m out of the current market loop to speculate on this one’s price per carat in a pear with minor residue.

Hard call with people’s different opinions on a silky/sleepy stone (which this appears to be) vs a different stone with a few inclusions aside a more overall crystal structure.

You mentioned heirloom quality in your other thread. I think that means different things to different people.
I think defining it will help you utilize the opinions you get here- more fruitful.

I’d pick this one over your other threads pear tho.

smoothflyer21

Rough_Rock
To me, hierloom quality means a gemstone (not necessarily a fully mounted jewerely piece), that years from now you could pass down to someone else, and they could use the piece as they want or be able to take out the ruby and create something else with it and that would make sense economically at that time.

One can make a really nice ruby necklace with lab rubies, or lesser quality stuff, but 30 years from now it will probably be essentially worthless except for sentimental value.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubys are hard to buy.
A true heirloom ruby is unheated and of Burmese origin.
These are rather rare and very expensive and the purists only want this quality.
Personally I don’t have an issue with heated but I would hesitate at “minor residues”. How are minor residues quantified ? That’s what I don’t like.
I like the colour of this pear ruby but the cloudiness and minor residues at almost $10k would be a no from me HOWEVER I am not researching the ruby market to see what is available and what current prices are so that might for all I know be a good price

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Colour-wise it's a lot nicer than your previous option. Definitely a brighter colour which I would consider important for a necklace.

Here's the thing about the treatment. Most of the Burmese ruby produce right now (if not all?) comes from Mong Hsu. And basically all of the rough from that region (with minor exceptions I imagine) gets heated with borax, hence the residues. So it's true that right now it's kind of expected in a Burmese ruby, unless you get your paws on an untreated one. That's on one hand.

On the other, though, not all ruby rough from all over the world has borax added into the mix. Some regions don't need it, the rough isn't so fractured as to necessitate it. You can find and have a heat only ruby. Many vendors, though, choose to treat heat only and heat with residues as the same thing. It's in the interest of the business to sell Burmese rubies with origin premium at heat only prices. But they're not the same thing, and one is a higher level of treatment.

I haven't looked at ruby prices for over 6 months now. I can give you some tidbits from my observations on ruby purchases in this forum during 2021 and 2022. During that time 10k could get you a reasonably nice, pure red, unheated 1ct ruby. Go heated - the price is slashed almost half.

The moment you step into heat with residues things become a little fuzzy. On one hand, heat with minor residues from Burma could easily be sold for more than a heat only from, say, Mozambique. Origin demands a premium, and if you seek strong fluorescence, you're very likely to end up with a Burmese stone. But in general the residues should drop the price some, and the drop should increase with the amount of residues.

I have no idea what the value of Burmese heated with minor residues ruby will be in a number of years. I imagine they'd still be perfectly acceptable to pass down as family jewellery but since I don't plan on doing anything of the sort (child-free), I really don't know.

I guess my advice is... learn what heated with residues means, if you haven't already, consider if the treatment is acceptable to you. Take some time to look and search for a stone. I strongly suspect this one won't sell quickly with the combination of this price tag and level of treatment. Ruby prices can vary wildly, and I do mean wildly, depending on a number of factors. If you rush the purchase, you risk missing important information and potentially regretting it down the line.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too cloudy and orange. It reminds me of a fire opal. The third photo is very brownish as well.

Please consider spinel if you’re spending almost 10k on inferior material.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results