shape
carat
color
clarity

Rate my princess please....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
So I am looking to buy the following and have done a lot of reading on the importance of Depth and Table percentages.... just wondering what the experts here think and if there is anything else I need to find out before I go for it.....

Princess
1.05ct
G colour
SI1 clarity
D 72.6
T 69
5.65 X 5.64 X 4.10
Girdle S.Thick to V.Thick
Polish & Sym: V Good

From looking at the cert... it has a cloud in the middle of it... how will a cloud look in the flesh?
Do I need to try and find out the Crown height?

Would very much appreciate any help any of you can be in giving me tips/things to find out/opinions.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is the SI grade based on the cloud? or there are more inclusions?

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
yes - it just has the cloud - I am told it''s ''eye clean''.
I just want to know really how I can be sure it has lots of fire and sparkle when the GIA certs dont show the pavillion/crown height and depth........?

another I am now interested in has the dimensions:

5.58 x 5.55 x 3.97 - a girdle of thin to thick and D 71.5 and T 68

how does that sound?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can''t know from a GIA report.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 4:40:08 PM
Author: hardsearch
yes - it just has the cloud - I am told it''s ''eye clean''.
I just want to know really how I can be sure it has lots of fire and sparkle when the GIA certs dont show the pavillion/crown height and depth........?

another I am now interested in has the dimensions:

5.58 x 5.55 x 3.97 - a girdle of thin to thick and D 71.5 and T 68

how does that sound?
If a Diamond''s clarity grade is SI is based solely on a cloud...., I would strongly suggest not to purchase it until you see it with your own eyes while comparing it to a cloudless Diamond of same color and of VS clarity!!!!

It might be eyeclean but lifeless!!!!!!!! Watch out!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/5/2007 4:43:26 PM
Author: JulieN
you can''t know from a GIA report.
100% correct!!!!
The GIA (paper) report is not a visual tool!!!
Fancy shapes MUST be seen prior to a purchasing decision!

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
...they have both turned out to be sold anyway! *sigh*
How frequently is it worth me doing a search and looking through Pricescopes list? How often do the lists get updated?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are ready to buy, you should probably just pick a vendor and tell them what you''re looking for. Then let them pick stones for you to check out.

When I was searching for a diamond, that''s what worked the best for me. I was also searching for a fancy cut (radiant) and I feel like it''s harder to know what to look for in fancy cuts, even though I had done my research regarding depth, table %, etc.

And I don''t know if you''ve checked them out yet, but Whiteflash has some amazing princess cuts in their "A Cut Above" line.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info... I saw those WF ones but they are a bit beyond my budget :)

Does anyone know how frequently is it worth me doing a search and looking through Pricescopes list? How often do the lists get updated?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
my guess is that the lists get update once weekly but you have to keep in mind, vendors are getting new supplies at different times. the suggestion of picking a vendor to work with is a good one because you have the chance to know about a diamond before it ever hits the list.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
twice a week, methinks, but the lists are only as good as the incoming data, and sometimes that can take a little while.

hardsearch

Rough_Rock
Firstly - thanks for all your comments so far - it is greatly appreciated.

Now... I want to ask about Girdles... from looking on WF all of their top end princess diamonds have a girdle of between thin and medium --- what does that really mean in terms of how good a diamond will look in the flesh?

I have seen details of a nice looking one which has a girdle of thick to very thick (everything else seems fine with it) so just wondering what I should be looking for here?

I know seeing it in the flesh would be the best... but thats not really possible... so anything else would be helpful.

Thanks, A.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just means that the stone is carrying extra weight in its belly. Once it gets to ridiculously thick, you may run into problems with setting the stone.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would choose to stick with thin to medium on the girdle. Not very thin, as this can result in chipping. You won't notice a difference with the naked eye but a diamond with a thick girdle will not face up as large because it is holding weight in the belly.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
I went with a lower depth for my princess so it faced up bigger.... low 60''s... that''s just me though

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results