shape
carat
color
clarity

RATE MY NEW RING

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
I GOT MY NEW ENGAGEMENT RING PLEASE RATE

CARAT: 1.12CT
COLOUR: I
CUT: MEDIUM
CLARITY: I2

COST: $3999 tax included w/ life time warranty

heck of deal i think... very shiny, sparkling

canadianice

Rough_Rock
I'm always wary of cuts labeled "good", "medium", etc... they are completely subjective and non-descriptive.

I take it this is from a jewellery chain, ie. Zales/Peoples/Mappins etc?

What parameters in particular were you looking for in your stone that made you decide on this one? Carat weight? Colour?

Does this stone have a certificate?

DiehardSearcher

Rough_Rock
Simply do a search from pricescope to tell for yourself.

I searched for 1.1 carat I-SI1's and listed a page of stones less than yours.
This doesn't mean you didn't get a good deal, but unfortunately, I doubt that you did.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sandwich, didn't we just go through this last week on thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-bought-a-ring-please-rate-it.4644/.

What is it you're looking to hear?

No, it's not a good diamond, no, it's not a good deal. I can't believe you went out and bought it after everybody and his brother told you that.

Sorry. I'm just amazed is all...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2003 4:36
6.gif
8 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

Sandwich, didn't we just go through this last week on thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-bought-a-ring-please-rate-it.4644/.

What is it you're looking to hear?

No, it's not a good diamond, no, it's not a good deal. I can't believe you went out and bought it after everybody and his brother told you that.

Sorry. I'm just amazed is all...
----------------

Richard.....HA. That is a perfect response. I'm afraid Sandwich is a marketer's dream....very susceptible to the hype...(nothing less than a carat will do.) I swear, some people will purchase a piece of granite as long as it is 1 CARAT.

Sandwich: Forgive me for saying so (and so bluntly, too), but....last week, a bunch of people made some great suggestions on how to get the most value for their money. All you could keep saying was 1 carat, 1 carat, 1 carat. If 1 carat was the most (and seemingly only) important thing, then what are you unsure about now? I presume the stone is still 1 carat.....?

photogold

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 2/13/2003 2:58:16 PM sandwich287 wrote:

I GOT MY NEW ENGAGEMENT RING PLEASE RATE
----------------

Uhh, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'll give it a 3.

canadianice

Rough_Rock
Sandwich287 -
Luckily for you a lot of the mall jewellers have refund policies. Run, don't walk, back to where you bought it and get your money back!

Then start from scratch, using the diamond-buying tutorial as a start.

You need some fundamental education on this big purchase, so start learning.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Gem Scan medium cut is something like a GIA IV class...
and with an I2 you're killing yourself..... add to that an J (I bet your color
is even worse than that)...... you have an ugly piece of carbon...
I bet your 1.12 looks more like an 90 pointer or even an 80 pointer.

You got a BAD deal. I'm also canadian and yes, you can
find terrific deals locally in Canada... and I know what I'm talking about!

Trichrome.

photogold

Rough_Rock
I misread your post, when I replied above I thought you had SI2 clarity. It is I2?? I changed my mind. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give it a 1.

But this is all just a joke anyway, right?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
But this is all just a joke anyway, right?
-----------

That's what I thought. This has got to be a joke, right?

Tell me this is a joke, Sandwich.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Are you 4 real???? After all that negative feedback?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Architect

Rough_Rock
Well, after reading people's comments on here, I first thought everyone was being a little brutal to sandwich on his purchase....then I went to the link provided by Richard and read the entire thing. I have to say that I am in complete agreement with everyone on this issue. Sandwich seems to be all caught up in having a 1 carat diamond for his engagement ring and this is causing him to ignore things that are more important than just the size of the diamond.

Here is one thing that Sandwich should consider:

An ideal cut 1 carat stone will be 6.5mm in diameter. I want you to take a look at the certificate that came with your diamond and check what the diameter of the diamond is. If it is not even close to 6.5mm, then you are not really getting a diamond that will look like a 1 carat. Why buy a diamond that is labeled as 1 carat but is the size in diameter of a 0.90 carat? You should search for a diamond that is smaller, but has a better cut and will probably be the same size as the 1 carat you have right now. You REALLY should consider this more because if your fiance shows her "1 carat" diamond to her friends and they compare it to other diamonds, they are going to think she is not telling the truth about the size of the diamond. Get a smaller carat stone that is better cut and it will be the SAME size as your "medium" cut 1 carat stone. If you really were looking for advice and not just hoping people would congratualte you that you found a great deal, then you should take everyone's advice on here and KEEP LOOKING.

Once again, here is the situation Sandwich put himself into. He has been set on getting a 1 carat diamond and sacrificed cut, clarity and color. His 1 carat diamond more than likely is smaller in diameter than a true 1 carat. If it is smaller in diameter than why pay the extra money just to say you got a one carat? Serioulsy Sandwich, please rethink your approach on this matter. Your fiance will appreciate it more if you get her a smaller stone that is sparkly and beautiful rather than a dull 1 carat that no one can even tell it is a 1 carat due to it's poor cut.

Architect

Rough_Rock
Quick correction:

Sandwich bought a 1.12 carat so the diameter for his diamond SHOULD be about 6.65-6.7mm if it had an ideal cut

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

This thread HAS to be a joke......it just has to.

Architect, I gotta hand it to you.....you got patience BIG TIME to actually go back and try to explain this AGAIN to Sandwich. Are you a teacher, too? (God, you have the patience of a saint!)
Hat's off to you!

Architect

Rough_Rock
Aljdewey,
Actually I am not a teacher (just a plain Architect) but I just think that it is good to have patience and explain things thoroughly to people. This forum is a great way for people to get advise and educate themselves about diamonds and it helps if the people seeking advice fully understand the comments made by others. Whether or not they take the advise they were seeking is another matter
loopy.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wasn't this same stone last week only 1.04c or similar? Did the stone grow over a week? I want one of those 'growing' stones. Or maybe that is with side stones? Hard to tell.

Anyhow, yes it is difficult for us morphing cut-geeks to accept that Sandy went out and bought that I2 glass rock after all of our posts and price/stone searches...but he did. After the last thread and the stubbornness in 'I must have 1 carat'...I thought last week....why is he even coming here and asking us our advice only to completely disregard everything that we said and have no good reason to purchase this stone and then defend it to the very end. Why bother? He even said it looked alright (not super great, not stunning but alright), and something along the lines of his girl would think it was okay (not amazing, not exceptional, but okay nice).

Not that I want to class myself as a cut snob...not while I wear my AGS 7 anyway (though it is a G VS1 with great brilliance and spread!).
2.gif
So to each their own, and I hope Sandy and his new fiance enjoy their lovely new ring and wear it in good health always.

But yes...sometimes it's hard to be patient.
14.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/14/2003 12:22:13 PM Mara wrote:
Not that I want to class myself as a cut snob...not while I wear my AGS 7 anyway (though it is a G VS1 with great brilliance and spread!). So to each their own, and I hope Sandy and his new fiance enjoy their lovely new ring and wear it in good health always.
But yes...sometimes it's hard to be patient.
idealbb
----------------
Mara, you aren't a cut snob, and I don't think any of us wants to be one, either. If that does it for him, great! But for the love of Pete, why......WHY????....would he come back expecting the feedback to be any different than he got before? And more to the point, if he didn't value the feedback in the first place, why would he seek more of it?

On a side note, Mara.......AGS 7 is nothing to sneer at or sound sheepish about! You should utter that phrase with extreme pride.....that ring is traffic-stopping gorgeous. What I mean is, you say "AGS 7" like it's equivalent to getting a C+ in school. Wearing a G, VS1 stone of exceptional cut puts you in VERY good company. It truly is a beauty.

Happy V-day, all.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks AL...I am very proud of my AGS 7 stone...it's pretty darn amazing for an AGS 7 if I do say so myself!! It goes to show in my eyes that the cut grades are not all that they are touted to be...that you can get something like a 7 and it looks really amazing due to the very proportions of the stone that push it into that AGS 7 class in the first place!!

I just figured that while I was tooting the horn of the cut-geeks that I would cop to the fact that my stone is not an AGS000000000 but rather something quite different and still gorgeous. So it CAN happen. But I would venture to say not with an I/J I2!!

sandwich287

Rough_Rock
i returned my ring, but they had a better one there

sparkling, shiney diamond ring in 18k barring...

my my I2 is the only draw back, but it can easily go for I1 i think.
yes it has cert from gem scan internationla etc..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You returned your I/J I2 Medium cut 1 carat stone and got a 'better' I I2 Medium cut 1.12 carat stone for the same price? Sounds extremely fishy to me.

What exactly is better about this stone? The cut is still Medium. The color is still I (vs I/J..no real difference). The clarity is still I2. You just got a bigger stone for the same money. Is that the 'better' deal? Chances are its an even worse cut than before, because stores don't just give away bigger stones for fun.

Did you try returning the stone and asking for a better color and clarity only to be sold AGAIN on the larger carat weight? Ahhhhhh.......

15.gif

justme

Shiny_Rock
This is too funny!

Mara, I give you credit - you keep going and going!

I keep asking myself if Sandy really CAN'T comprehend what you all have been trying to say or if he doesn't WANT to comprehend.

Either way - why does he come back for an opinion?

liz

Rough_Rock
I've been following Sandwich's threads for a couple of weeks now (quietly biting my tongue), but after his last post I just have to ask--Sandwich, are you reading ANY of the posts here? I mean, if you're reading, are you actually COMPREHENDING what people are telling you? Some here think that what you're asking is a joke. No matter how many times you return it for another (bigger) one, you have a terrible stone, and no one needs to look at it to tell you that. Please, please, please tell us that some of this, ANY OF THIS is getting through to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results