shape
carat
color
clarity

Rate Diamond and Setting Combo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cinemafreak

Rough_Rock
Ok, I am new at this and foudn this site today. I have some info on a diamond and setting(Ring and band). It is not all complete, but I would like a few opinions none the less. Here I go:

Diamond:
1.01 Carat
G Color
Depth 62.4
Table 57.0
No Floresence
VG Symmetry
G Polish
Thick to Very Thick Girdle

Settings:

Ring:
Platinum
Two rounds each next to Setting
3 smaller rounds in channel on each side

Band:
Three Rounds
3 smaller rounds in each channel on each side

Total daimond weight .74

TOTAL PRICE $6,800.00

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It's going to be tough for anyone to even give you a good guesstimate on value. The table size is good, but the total depth is just slightly over Ideal limits. Clarity will play a huge factor in pricing. In a quick check, I found comparable G, SI1's would run around $3500-$3800 or so for the center stone. The size, color, clarity, and cut quality of the side stones factor into the pricing on those as well. Platinum is at a premium right now, so a simple setting and band can run anywhere from $750-$1200 or so.

One thing I see with the center diamond that is an area of concern is the girdle. There is a pricing premium for hitting the 1 carat mark. A Thick to Very Thick girdle tells me the cutter was hiding weight to hit the price mark. Also, thick girdles are an area for light leakage causing the diamond to lack somewhat in performance,.... the sparklies. Light leaks out thru the girdle instead of being refracted back out to the viewer's eye. Also, with a thicker girdle, the diamond will probably look smaller than a well cut 1 carat. You might check the diameter measurements. A well cut 1 carat will have a diameter around 6.5mm.

Hope this helps.
1.gif

Cinemafreak

Rough_Rock
Where did you find the similar G SI1s for the range you state? I did a search on this site and only found diamonds around $4000.00 or so.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting... there's plenty of them...
You need to set a slight range of depth, table and weight, If you look at G/SI1, 1.01-1.05cts and chack the "H&A" slot for a range of table/depth comparable with your stone's - prices go from $2526 for an EGL certed stone to $6351. The difference is not cut quality only, or size (which should be very, very close for the range) but pricing.

True H&A stones (with all cut details in place for better brilliance, not just depth and table) rank at the upper end (from 5300 to 5800).

It does not make sense to search for the exact numebrs only, since pricing is not done this way and there is no way that half a % or 1% of a carat is goind to do much of anything... On the same line, you might want to inspect stone brtween 0.9-1ct: the size owuld be very much alike but the price per carat woudl take a boost at 1ct, since most buyers take weight for size
8.gif

Cinemafreak

Rough_Rock
ok, found the listing using your settings. Damn that's a lot of stones. I need to narrow that list down a little. Is it better to sacrifice Clarity for Color? How low should I go on Symmetry?

Here is the situation I am in: She loves a setting and band that has many diamonds in it and I fear that if I get to small of a diamond the ring will look too much like a anniversary ring or something. Therefore, I need to get as close to or higher than a carat to make the ring looks right. I was thinking of dropping from a VS2 to a SI1 to stay around 1.01 Carats, but still hold on to a nice color, say a F to a H. Prefer G or F. While not sacrificing too much on the symmetry. I want to stay under $5500, maybe $5000 for the whole thing. So around $4000 to $4500 or so for the Rock. Too much to think about...head exploding!!! I know it is too much to ask here, but what should I value and what should I sacrifice?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 4/20/2004 5:14:57 PM Cinemafreak wrote:

She loves a setting and band that has many diamonds in it and I fear that if I get to small of a diamond the ring will look too much like a anniversary ring or something. ----------------

Ths sounds like a set with half-way set (better prong set) small rounds of equal size (say 0.1cts each) on both the ring and band. This makes the bands quite narrow, so the center stone stands out.

There is NO difference in size between a 0.95 and 1cts - for such a range, the depth of the cut wil make all the difference. A stone anywhere between 0.9-1.1, H/I color, SI clarity, and appraoching H&A standard proportiosn (meaning a very good cut but not really top or priced at a serious premium) would do the trick beautifully.

I woudl still think that it is a good idea to get the center stone and let her gt the setting she wants latter on, but otherwise, this style with rown a small stones making up the band of the ring seems very popular - and for good reason.

I would not venture to get inexpensive side stones (menaing larger ones, not the tiny things used in pave as mentioned), 'cause their quality in ready-made settinsg is not all that great.

This woudl be my 0.2 starting point in this quest.

For the center, I would look for a stone with more info on cut (simply because a better cut gives the best visual excuse for color and clarity)- than those 200 odd listed there.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's a link to the Cut Charts:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

Cut Class 1A is Ideal parameters, but you should do well if you look at stones down to 2B.

Keep the quality of the Cut as the top priority. A well cut diamond performs better. A well cut diamond will show whiter and brighter than the actual color rating and mask inclusions to some extent. Also, diamonds in general, look whiter once mounted than standing alone.

How low can you go in color??!! That really depends on you. Your eye. Your own personal color sensitivity level. G and H tend to be the sweet spots, but there are many beautiful, well cut I and J color diamonds too.

How low can you go in clarity??!! That depends on 2 things. You. Your personal preference. Will the thought that the diamond has inclusions bother you or your gal. The size, type, color, and location of inclusions. ALJDewey has a beautiful SI2 with white, wispy inclusions that is totally eye clean. I have personally seen an eye clean I1. Eye clean SI/I1 diamonds will offer the better pricing. Diamonds are as unique as people and inclusions will vary from stone to stone.

As you find diamonds you are interested in, you can use the DIY system at www.gemappraisers.com to help grade the overall cut.

You can search for diamonds with known specs by entering your color and clarity preferences here:
http://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

Also, White Flash offers an Expert Selection of diamonds that they have on hand. Expert Selection diamonds have been fully evaluated and are available.

If you could post a pic of the setting you are considering, folks can help you search for that as well. You might find a premade semi-mount and band combo that will work just fine for your new diamond.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some examples... the PS way
1.gif

1.22, J-VS2
1.02, I-VS2
0.92, F-VS1
1.05, H-SI1

I strongly doubt any of these stones could disspoint! You woudl get a few people strongly set on a set of colors, clarities and cut characteristics - but you might want to keep in mind that number of posts under our PS avatars! You're bound to get some close cut opinions after so much diamond chat
3.gif

There was a very nice setting of the type I was talking about listed with a cushion diamond on 'show me the ring'... and another, - quite a good deal (Mara's find). Hope to find one of those...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No luck with the settings, but this is what I had in mind. The style is easy made for a range of costs (depending on material and the size and grades of the small stones). It would probably cut a few steps for you to have the seller of the stone make the ring (or suggest a jeweler to have it made) - it usually is a better deal (and much less hassle) than buying a separate setting.

sadfsoc.JPG

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
Valeria...where did you find that picture??? That is very similar to the setting that we picked out and I have not been able to find a picture of it!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture come sfrom somewhere on weddingband.com. This could be one of the A.Jaffe rings, but a few other designers would have virtually indistiguishable ones if you have the patience to browse all those.

Not sure the prices are the greatest for these settings with names, esp. in such a straighforward model.

I was trying to figure out how big those accent stones should be to match the proportions in the picture for a 1 ct center - and the answer would be about 3-3.5mm diameter max (these would be between 0.1-0.15cts each, some ref. prices listed HERE). The stone on the band look even smaller maybe 0.08 or so...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results