shape
carat
color
clarity

Rarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D. Gordon

Rough_Rock
Since the term "value" is often associated with the term "rarity" I wonder if anyone has the statistics on "rarity". For instance what percent of all gem diamonds are of different sizes .5 to 1, 1 to 1.5, 1.5 to 2.0, etc.?
What percent of all gem diamonds are in the different color and clarity grades?
Lastly, what percent of RB gem grade diamonds have attractive (in the eye of the beholder I know) cuts?
Does GIA list these statistics as a percent of all the diamonds they grade? Where can I get this information? Any help is sincerely appreciated.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi D.Gordon,I'm sure GIA has these stats but don't know whether it is open to the public...However if, as you said, value represents rarity, would the price give you the rarity picture?For example, H-SI1 diamonds of 2A cut grade:0.5 crt - $1,240
1.0 crt - $4,740
1.5 crt - $9,080
2.0 crt - $13,700Same exercise can be done with other grades.As for the cut, GIA published the results of recent cut study of 67,000 diamonds. Only 3% were cut to achieve ideal brilliance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have asked this question before on many forums. Truthfully, DeBeers is the only source of what is rare in any size diamond. There is no one else who has direct knowldge of what nature has put into the ground or what has been mined.We know there are substantial stockpiles of many kinds and sizes of diamonds. But, we don't know what kinds or sizes. One must assume that no size or type is really "rare".What we have is a carefully marketed product in a finely crafted environment. Limitation of supply, advertising creating demand, and a grading structure that fits a simplistic approach to "quality". This is what we have to construct "value".With this all in mind, what can we say about rarity and value that will ring true? I think if we say nothing, it may well be better than misleading anyone further.Don't get me wrong however. I love the diamond business, as a business. I have a very substantial financial commitment in diamonds and other gems, so I don't wish to injure the market structure. I don't think it of any great benefit to further foster a tall tale about rarity when it is "perceived value" that people really are searching for when it comes to diamonds.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent post Dave.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results