shape
carat
color
clarity

Rapaport drops diamond prices

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Biz confidence and the cutting loose of De Beers from its traditional constraint of supply to support diamond prices has had the inevitable result.
Martin Rapaport has chosen to drop prices on the Rap list - it seems across the board.
The changes are small in the most easily traded areas. In the 1% to 3% range. Rarely with very low clarity goods I3's have fallen from say 600 to 500 = 16.7% - but this is because these are listed as whole hundreds as 6 becomes 5. (Rap lists in round hundreds).
I have seen this type of effect where I have been able to buy at a few points further back lately - just a fact of life.
So now diamonds are going to go up and down in value like other commodities, just as Martin said they would at a conference at JCK in June 15 months ago.
People might now understand the custodial role that De Beers played for so many years.
Most falls are a rounded $100 per carat.
Garry Holloway

mbn

Shiny_Rock
So instead of diamond prices going up 5% each year, I can expect it to go down? This is great, so I can take my time with a purchase thinking that if I don't buy this year, next year prices will go up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results