shape
carat
color
clarity

Range of cost for custom settings

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

Before I start sending out a bunch of information to various jewelers, I would rather get some feel of what it's going to run. I don't want to waste anyone's time if their cheapest job is out of our price range. I was thinking of asking:

- Brian Gavin
- Michael E
- Steven Kirsch
- Whiteflash
- ID Jewelers
- JbEG

for quotes. I am leaving off Leon Mege and Singlestone because I think they run too high for us. Much above $2500 is going to push future FI into wanting me to settle for something "off the rack." If we went that way, I would probably get James Allen's channel set carre cut setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channelset-rings/ring/item_58-3782.asp

I want a white gold setting with step cut sidestones, possibly tapered baguettes and tapered bullets, or else carre cut (or some combination of these) set with a 1.5-2 carat emerald cut center.

Any guidance on this will be appreciated!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the quote will probably vary based on the type of sidestones used.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
A whole lot of the cost is going to be in the stones given whoever you use but I want to throw it out there that my single stone ring with some pave was within your budget. I am not sure they use white gold though.

ETA- that JA setting looks nice...just pay the extra to have the head custom made for your stone.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1309117126|2955534 said:
A whole lot of the cost is going to be in the stones given whoever you use but I want to throw it out there that my single stone ring with some pave was within your budget. I am not sure they use white gold though.

ETA- that JA setting looks nice...just pay the extra to have the head custom made for your stone.
Thanks, that does help! I don't know if my expectations are reasonable, and I know BF isn't super thrilled by the idea of going custom, so I'd have to make it as pleasant and transparent as possible.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1309116457|2955530 said:
the quote will probably vary based on the type of sidestones used.
Unfortunately I want to work with pricier carre cut and step cut bullets. Sigh.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are looking to keep around $2500 I would take SK off your list of vendors to contact.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
cokitty|1309118915|2955544 said:
If you are looking to keep around $2500 I would take SK off your list of vendors to contact.
Thanks, that's good information!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1309121371|2955560 said:
cokitty|1309118915|2955544 said:
Thanks, that's good information!

I was also thinking that BUT you might want to ask him just in case...you won't know if you don't ask!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No harm checking out Wink too, I designed my set with him.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about asking Victor Canera 8) as well? can't hurt?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
D&T|1309128533|2955637 said:
how about asking Victor Canera 8) as well? can't hurt?
While I greatly admire his work, I don't think his greatest strengths (engraving, intricate metalwork) are what I have in mind. I want something very sleek and modern. Besides that... he seems pretty pricy to me.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
SK, Victor, and Leon are very close in price and frankly def will be over $2500 . You are easily looking at $3500-$4000 depending on the carat weight of your carre cuts. It was $1100 a carat for carre cuts when I purchased back in march and that was before the recent price hike. Good old Gold is doing custom work now so they might be another vendor to consider.

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
What about Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct. I am using him for a custom ring...should be done next week, side stones are carre.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Hospatogi|1309131249|2955685 said:
SK, Victor, and Leon are very close in price and frankly def will be over $2500 . You are easily looking at $3500-$4000 depending on the carat weight of your carre cuts. It was $1100 a carat for carre cuts when I purchased back in march and that was before the recent price hike. Good old Gold is doing custom work now so they might be another vendor to consider.
Since I want less than half a carat of side weight in less than 2 mm size I don't know how much the price hike should effect me, but I assumed Leon and Victor were out of range. Right now I am leaning towards Brian Gavin, whose style seems to mesh best with my vision.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Sounds beautiful, I can't wait to see what you decide. If you do go with the JA setting though, I wouldn't feel disappointed, its a beautiful setting! I feel your pain, I'm trying to decide whether going custom on my wedding band is an option, but it seems everyday that I sit back considering it is another day that the prices rise and rise and rise! :(sad

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I second adding ERD to your short list. I did buy my stone from him, but he was MUCH less expensive on my custom setting than BGD or whiteflash, more than what would have been expected even with getting the stone from him. He is very competitive with his pricing.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
nfowife|1309151393|2955939 said:
I second adding ERD to your short list. I did buy my stone from him, but he was MUCH less expensive on my custom setting than BGD or whiteflash, more than what would have been expected even with getting the stone from him. He is very competitive with his pricing.
What percentage less is "much less"? I don't necessarily want the cheapest thing but obviously if the quality is there (perfectly straight stones and prongs, etc) I would love a deal.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
I used BGD for my ring that has approximately 1ctw of tapered baguettes and carre cut side stones in 18k white gold. The cost was above your max, but you mention that you want less than half a carat of side stones, so maybe BGD will be in your price range.

Here's the link to my ring on BGD's website. The price is still listed the same as it was 1.5 years ago: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5368

Also, here's my PS thread, if you want more pics: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-20th-anniversary-ring-from-bgd.122909/

slg47

Ideal_Rock
suchende do you have a picture of a setting you would like or a description? I am unsure if you are using tapered bullets or carre cuts or both??

was there something abut the JA setting that you did not like?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
It was 30% less. I'm sure some of the savings was due to me buying my stone from Mark, but I doubt that would account for such a large difference. The craftmanship is certainly there, I feel it is very high quality. I had him make a setting to match an existing wedding band and it is a perfect match with very bright, sparkly sidestones. I'm very happy with the ring.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
pierreone|1309179738|2956053 said:
I used BGD for my ring that has approximately 1ctw of tapered baguettes and carre cut side stones in 18k white gold. The cost was above your max, but you mention that you want less than half a carat of side stones, so maybe BGD will be in your price range.

Here's the link to my ring on BGD's website. The price is still listed the same as it was 1.5 years ago: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5368

Also, here's my PS thread, if you want more pics: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphire-20th-anniversary-ring-from-bgd.122909/
This is SUPER close to what I want! I want essentially this, but with only one tapered baguette at the top (though a squatter one), much smaller carres, narrower band in general, and a head that accommodates a wedding band sitting flush against it, and more of a knife-edge band. I really like the "truth" head and the H. Levi V-prong, though my original vision included a bezel for the emerald.

If I incorporated a bullet, I would NOT want a tapered baguette at the top, but rather a bullet at the end of 2-3 carres, leading to a knife edge band.

I think i would want 2 mm or less, but durability is paramount to me.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1309183540|2956106 said:
suchende do you have a picture of a setting you would like or a description? I am unsure if you are using tapered bullets or carre cuts or both??

was there something abut the JA setting that you did not like?
Above I have sorta described what I want... I dunno am a little flexible, and I have sort of been hoping to find something that I would be happy with "off the rack" bc I know BF wants me to. The JA setting is fine but I would rather there be some amount of "tapering" somewhere. I am dealing with lots of hard angles, and I am concerned that will come out too masculine. I'm a pretty feminine person, so I am trying to figure out how to make step cuts (non-negotiable, must be ONLY step-cuts) in a sleek, modern setting read a little more girly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results