shape
carat
color
clarity

Rand''s Analysis on– Diamond Pricing & its effects on the consumer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
I have a few comments to add based on what Bob said in a previous post.

I''ve spoken to several B&M stores and am hearing the same common theme amongst them all. Good quality stones these days are hard to come by. On furthur iniquiry I was told that the phenomenon is artificially induced (De Beer cartel anyone?). Meaning the siteholders are holding back on selling the premium stones to unload the existing inventory of average diamonds.

Even the saleswoman at "Tiffanys" told me that they were having a hard time locating good quality stones. IMHO if a store like Tiffanys is having a tough time finding good stones to cut, the effect on the smaller shops must be even more drastic. Meaning, if a slighly above average stone comes to the market more consumers request the same stone; demand exceeds the supply, driving prices upwards. Everyone in the chain, but the consumer profits from this scenario. Additionally the standard or quality of stones that the average consumer expects to see is lowered while prices drive upwards.

A clear example is the price disparity quoted on the same stone offered for sale by various vendors including highly recommended vendors by people on this board. I will not name names, but I have a list of 18 stones and each stone is being offered at different sperads. (I define spread as the difference between the highest and the lowest asking price on the same stone). As these stones in my list are being seen multiple times I notice that the same spreads are widening. (Meaning dealers are raising the asking prices for the same stone.)

Another phenomenon that I want to briefly mention is the effect of "changing hands". In this scenario the more times the stone changes hands, the higher its quoted price. A clear example would be if you were to walk into an automobile dealership and ask for a very specific car. Sometimes the dealership does not have the exact car that you are looking for, but can swap cars from a nearby dealership if it meets your specifications. The auto dealer cannot give you a good price because he/she is paying a higher price to get the same car. If you buy the stone from their inventory, it is almost always cheaper. The same applies to diamonds. If you go to a dealer and they dont physically own it and have to get it from another retailer or dealer, you are paying a premium. In some instances it is necessary to pay that premium. So allow for that in your budget.

Add to the melting pot, the effect of the already weaking dollar to this equation and suddenly more investors begin to put their money in commodities like gold, silver, diamonds andforeign currency. This effect, furthur serves to drive up the prices of these assets.

Additionally, I theorize that most siteholders (non US based) are waiting for the dollar to strengthen before loosening up their inventory. This is because I believe these siteholders may get paid in US dollars. If the US dollar is weak, then the pricing power of the same 500K is not the same as it would be were the US dollar stronger. At the moment they may be focus on selling their premium supply to those markets whose cuurency is stronger, thereby maximising their profit.

In conclusion, the question I ask myself is, whether this is the right time to buy a diamond in today''s market. I would not recommend the fancies unless there is an absolutely must. There are still some great deals out there for the exacting buyer, but those deals, like the perfect radiant diamond I promise to get for you nicrez, are rare.

It is my belief that we will see an increased supply of diamonds in the coming months. In that lot we''ll see the premium stones and the not so premium stones and when they are gone, the cycle will repeat itself. In the meanwhile whats an average buyer to do?

My humble advice: Keep your ears to the ground and keep looking and never settle!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Aww....
love.gif
Thank you my dear... Can anyone guess what he must do for a living besides post on PriceScope? You should see his color coded spreadsheet of our Radiant search...it's so anal retentive, even I am proud...
love.gif

Diamond 4 Ever

Rough_Rock
Does any one know if there is a historical listing of transacted diamond prices (internet sales at least)so we can determine if current prices are hight with respect to historical values? That will help the average consumer decide if this is a good time to buy. Thanks.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The best time to buy a diamond is always "Now" simply because diamond prices are controlled by DeBeers and the other diamond distribution networks... Historically prices always go up and really never go back down. DeBeers imposed a 4% increase in the last quarter of 2003 and just imposed another 4% price increase, this is what is causing the increase in diamond prices and if history is an indicator, you're not going to see a price decrease any time soon if ever. This is not something that any of the dealers have any control over...

As far as availibility goes, most of the major diamond cutting houses were closed for Winter Holiday from December 15th through January 15th and thus there weren't any diamonds entering the market during this time so there is a bit of a shortage, but that situation is being resolved now as it is every year now that the diamond cutters are back to work... We were offered several very nice parcels of diamonds this week and have begun to replenish our inventory.

The reason Rand sees the same diamond listed by 18 different dealers is simply because many of the internet diamond dealers have made it a practice of selling diamonds off of a list instead of actually purchasing diamonds for inventory. In most cases, these dealers will never see the diamond that they offer for sale and thus they compete on price instead of actually providing their customers with a service. A few and we do mean a very few of us actually purchase diamonds for inventory and only represent diamonds which we have personally evaluated to ensure our clients of the highest quality and that the diamond being sold is accurately represented by the lab report which accompanies the stone... So the difference in price between the dealers on the same stone really is only due to a difference in the percentage of mark-up imposed by each dealer and not because the same diamond is changing hands six or seven times... In most cases, most of us are buying the diamonds direct from the site holders / cutters and thus the diamond is only exchanging hands three times... Once when the diamond is sold by DeBeers to the Site Holder / Cutter... Once again when the diamond is sold to the dealers by the site holder / cutters... And a third time when it is sold by us to you, the public.

The time to buy a diamond is when the diamond you really want appears on the open market... Waiting for prices to decrease will only result in your paying more because it is likely that DeBeers and the other channels of distribution are likely to raise prices at least once more this year, sometimes they do it two or three times in the same year... The one advantage that those of us who buy for inventory have over the internet dealers who merely sell off of the multiple listing services is that we don't have to raise our prices in accordance with the market increases, we tend to put a flat profit on the stone at the time it was purchased and not increase it as the market price increases... Why? Because we simply don't have the time to change the price of every stone every time the market jumps a couple of percent, we're too busy buying the next wave of diamonds for our inventory, photographing them, marketing them, etc...

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the internet was driving the prices to the consumer down. I also thought Garry posted some stats a while back about the low-margin internet effect on the consumer's cost of diamonds.

Statistically speaking, won't tomorrow or next week be as good a time as "now" to find and buy the stone you want? The last significant diamond I bought was three years ago and when I look at current pricing it seems to me that the exact same stone would cost about the same now as it did three years ago.(Maybe less!)

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rand_alThor wrote
"I would not recommend the fancies unless there is an absolutely must."

I don't understand why? The opposite is true, fancies have not gone up Yet, as much as rounds did, This is a good a time ,if not a better time to purchase fancies. We in the trade think that they will also go up soon.
generally speaking the prices are on the rise across the board.
It would be wise to purchase now and avoid the increase in the near future.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Another observation.

Virtually everyone who espouses the buy-it-now point of view is in the diamond trade. Maybe THEY should buy now, as their costs are going up, but I'm not so sure this is necessarily so for the consumer.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/31/2004 1:43:08 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

Statistically speaking, won't tomorrow or next week be as good a time as 'now' to find and buy the stone you want? The last significant diamond I bought was three years ago and when I look at current pricing it seems to me that the exact same stone would cost about the same now as it did three years ago.(Maybe less!)----------------

What venue did you buy your diamond from?

And, I have to say that I would buy a diamond when the right one became available.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
Guys I want to clarify a few things about my post. I have not once mentioned anything about prices going down. I'm presenting either facts or theories as to the reasons why diamonds prices are driving upwards in todays world. What directions are the diamond prices are heading towards, I would need to do so some research before I could comment on that. Honestly speaking, I doubt I could post any such opinions on the commodities market in a public forum.

I closed my post by saying I wouldn't recommend fancies in today's market unless there is a must. Personally speaking I am a buyer who would gladly pay a premium for service provided by either a B&M or an etailer, provided they find me exactly what I am looking for and treat me and my would be fiancee well. Herein lies the problem. In today's market there are a total of 18 different stones in my specs offered by various etailers or B&M's. Not one of those stones IMHO has a great cut. One stone out of those 18 has an above average cut. The reamining are all average or below.
Therefore my conclusion, if your standards are exacting and you are looking for quality fancy stone, you will have a tough time. It is a hard market. As an informed buyer, I would rather pay a premium on a good stone than a bad stone. I choose to not settle!

The end point I was trying to make is there is a shortage in the supply of quality stones and that soon the shortage will clear up and we will see quality stones back in the market.

If you guys disagree and believe that quality stones are out there, then I would respectfully ask the etailers and B&M guys to please help me find that perfect stone. I would appreciate any help I can get and am willing to pay the premium or the markups.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a quote from Garry from about 10 months ago:

"What he means folks is if you bought an e-diamond 2 or 3 years ago, it is now worth 5 to 20% less because of the competitive effect on sell prices caused by one Dr Leonid Tcharnyi.

Anyone remember that it was once posible for a sailor to round the Horn and sell a bag of pepper for 10,000% margin."

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just curious ... is this Rand from the "Rand Diamond" brand?

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
LOL

No relation to anything in the Diamond business, but the fact that you would suggest it, I take as a compliment...?
naughty.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
21.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rand the idea that de Beers holds back rare goods is wrong today.
They control 55% of the rough market and Riotinto, Russia and BHPB are growing every year.
De Beers do control the direction of sought after goods - it only goes to those cutters who will market it in brand building ways under Supplier of Choice - read about it in the news section of Rap - www.diamonds.net

The conspiracy theory thing is just over done to hell.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
BTW tiffany have bought shares in a comapny in partnership with RioTinto in the DiaVik mine so they can get their hands on specials. It's just all plain business - no secret cloak and dagger stuff.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/31/2004 5:01:00 PM Rand_alThor wrote:

Herein lies the problem. In today's market there are a total of 18 different stones in my specs offered by various etailers or B&M's. Not one of those stones IMHO has a great cut. One stone out of those 18 has an above average cut. The remaining are all average or below.
[...]
If you guys disagree and believe that quality stones are out there, then I would respectfully ask the etailers and B&M guys to please help me find that perfect stone.
----------------

At this point, I would step back and start thinking rather than making my diamond shopping Hell. Here goes....

There are a few less than crystal clear terms in the above citation, such as "great cut", "above average" and "perfect". Last time I checked, there was no intrinsic quality making a cut diamond "perfect" by some law of nature. When someone says that one stone out of a dozen is "above average", the selection should be extremely uneven and whatever criteria applied could be interpreted as heavily biased towards the respective winner which, according to the sentence above, should be about 20 times better than any of the other contenders! Clearly, the quality standard applied is by no means related to whatever "average quality" one can encounter but an extremely strict one.

What is a great diamond to YOU ?

As far as I understand, given that round diamond make up the majority of sales, sellers felt hard pressed to come to at least some partial accord regarding what is a great round diamond. And once we know what an "ideal" cut is, it is also known that this is no average stone, but the 2% tip of the iceberg. Given this, chances are that once a buyer tried to reconcile whatever mix of standards exist for fancy cuts (and exercise of lesser urgency for suppliers), he will also end up with some fine gauge letting about 2% of goods through. Since supply is not yet channeled according to such selection practice, this must be a buying hell. Is it necessary Rand_alThor? Does the combination of all quality standards available make sense or is just a rule of thumb...

After all, there are a few sellers out there who would galdly charge their premium for barnded radiants, but it is still up to you to decide what those brands stand for, isn't it?

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Rand,

Obviously you are experiencing frustration regarding your search for the "perfect" radiant. I had reached that point also in my search. It was at that point I decided to throw out the "standards" (and I had three that I was working from, and all were different!) and just start having the gemologist/jeweler bring in stones for review. There have been posts regarding diamonds deviating from the standards in one area, with a compensating deviation elsewhere, that are very pleasing to the eye. Thus making them look as though they are not meeting top of the line guidelines on paper, yet in reality they are very beautiful stones. If this can be so for round cuts, with all the exacting standards there are for them, then you know that it can be this way for fancy cut stones, with standards all over the place.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, you have to see fancy cuts and compare them to find the one that shouts at you.

It took me approximately 5 months from start to finish in my search for my radiant. I searched B&Ms and internet repeatedly. Maybe the B&M I used had access to different diamond houses than the internet dealers, maybe I just got lucky, I don't know. I do know that MY natural tendancy to be completely anal didn't work for this search, since there are no "perfect" guidelines.

I will say that I did pay a premium for the B&M, for the cut etc. But I knew when I saw this stone, with all its scintillation and fire, it was my stone.

Since the most popular shapes are round and princess right now, I would think the shortage would be there and not necessarily with other fancy cuts. The other fancy cuts always seem to be slim pickins naturally because there is not as much demand.

Your stone is out there, you just have to find it!!

How long have you been searching?

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Cut Nut -

I love how you get right to the point without wasting a syllable
naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results