shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1385356088|3562369 said:
I just found a website of Sephardic (Jews from Spain) last names. OMG there are so many! :-o

LINK
Fun link! There are a lot. It must be a really hard choice choosing something totally new! I panned through a few letters before getting overwhelmed and saw Cohen marked as (H) for Hebrew! I've always liked that name. Easy to say/spell.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1385403020|3562597 said:
TooPatient|1385356088|3562369 said:
I just found a website of Sephardic (Jews from Spain) last names. OMG there are so many! :-o

LINK
Fun link! There are a lot. It must be a really hard choice choosing something totally new! I panned through a few letters before getting overwhelmed and saw Cohen marked as (H) for Hebrew! I've always liked that name. Easy to say/spell.

:lol:

There are SOOOOo many!

Cohen and Levy are both great names but really aren't something you can change to. They have a certain position associated with them. (which is too bad because I like the meaning of the name Levy!)

We're still contemplating versions of:
Heber
Rishon
Rishonim

plus a few others I had in a post that got deleted when I touched something on my keyboard :nono:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1385402413|3562590 said:
Fun! I do not think it's weird at all to have a two syllable first name and two syllable last name. I think it's more common than you think. My husband's is 2 each, in fact! And I can think of a dozen friends as well.

I love that you're both "B" names! :))

It's hard to give an opinion without knowing the actual name, but I have a friend who's name is similar to Bruce and who's last name starts with an R (two syllables) and it's a very nice, strong name. Her brother has a two syllable name starting with B and his name is also very nice! R is a nice letter :)

With A already being 14, I'm not surprised in the not changing her name. Like you said, she's used to it by now and if she wants to change it later, she can. And in all likelihood, she will opt to change it when she marries someday anyway.

My entire family on my father's side all has/had "B" names -- Brad/Brenda, Bill/Betty, Beverly, Bill, Billy, Bradley...
Grandma loved to have answering messages about the family of bees not being in the hive.

Her mom feels very strongly about the name. We didn't even bring up the possibility of her changing. It doesn't matter much to us as we know that a family is more than just a name. She can change her name when she gets married and starts a family of her own.

I'd never considered the number of syllables in a name before. I know it can be hard to say if the ending sound and starting sound are the same but length had never really crossed my mind. Eh. Sitting around listing names has me convinced that I know lots of people with "matching syllables" and there is nothing wrong with that!

audball

Ideal_Rock
There really are! Bummer that Cohen and Levy (that one is good too!) have restrictions.

If it were me considering a new name, my concerns would be length, spelling, and pronunciation because I hate seeing friends/others struggle with always having to explain or correct their names. I like names that are spelled like they sound and are easy to say.

I'm sure you've said before but I don't recall...why were you not taking Bruce's last name or trying to make a new name out of your existing last names? (No judgement...just curious and don't remember!).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spelling/pronunciation are big ones for me too! DH speaks many languages and is great at saying names but I am not and I know what it is like to struggle with someone's name.

His last name is super generic (Campbell). If you go looking online there is NO way to track him down (even knowing all about him!) so that is nice. He doesn't like his last name. He has spent years with people saying "Oh! You're Jewish!?!? Your name isn't Jewish!" so he doesn't like that. He also is not at all close to his family (especially his father's side) and would be happier not having that tie to them. I would have used his if he felt strongly about it, but I knew he was unhappy and marriage is a great excuse to change. I will admit that I was also not exactly thrilled to be using the same name that his ex-wives used (and at least one decided to keep and still uses).
So... with all that baggage we decided to just pick something that is new and "us". DH is super excited and wants to find just the right name!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Ah, gotcha. Did you guys discuss him taking your name? I don't know if it's a Jewish name or if you talked about that, but its' another option many couples don't use. I think an all new name is super cool too -- I just don't know if I could ever pick!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My father's family is pretty much all people we would rather have no connection with. We don't see them. I'd rather not have people know I'm related to them.

My mother's family is better, but DH doesn't want to use that one either due to big drama and stuff there. (which I'm okay with because that name doesn't feel "right" to me either)

A whole new name is quite the challenge! I thought it was hard picking a Jewish first name for my conversion but that was nothing compared to this!

We need the last name to sound okay with both of our first names, not be too hard to pronounce/spell, and sound okay with our Jewish first names as well (also both B names). Then finding one that feels "right" to both of us.
We're trying to be respectful of established families and not take a well-known name (like some of the big wine makers or whatever) or super region-specific names (like son of this place)

audball

Ideal_Rock
I understand that. I had no attachment to my maiden name either and didn't give changing it a second thought. I hope you find the perfect name!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not going to rush on the name thing. I'd love to have it in the next couple of weeks so I can put it on my application, but the worst case if we don't have it by then is that I update the record later with an extra form. I'd rather find the name perfect name even if it means an extra form!

Semi-torn on what I hope to get in the e-mail. The teen group "A" is a part of is going to Disneyland in February. Leaving the morning of 2/14. DH and I had talked and decided she'd go on this. "A" doesn't know exactly where, but she knows she's got a fun out-of-state trip coming this year with the group.

The e-vite just came tonight. Registration is open for only 24 hours. We don't have $600 tonight. DH went unpaid for 3 1/2 MONTHS and is only just now back to work (despite dr orders to still be out...). We're really struggling right now but will be (mostly) recovered by 12/15. I sent an e-mail to the organizer (same guy who organizes all of them) asking if we can register now but pay at the start of January. Realistically, if they can't do that there isn't anything more we can do -- we're really in the position of paying the mortgage & electricity or paying for (another) trip away for "A".

Gah!
Nothing to do but wait and see what the organizer says. If they can wait for payment then we'll make it work. If not then she can still go on the May trip with them (Canada!).

ETA:

Update already!
The organizer is an AMAZING man. He just paid for "A" out of his own pocket and says when things are better we can work out a payment.

audball

Ideal_Rock
That is SO sweet of him! Yay that she'll be able to go and you don't have to stress about the money right now! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
I bought my first "husband" card today! DH's birthday is coming up and it was so fun to get to look through/read/choose one that actually says husband on it! So many more choices than generic "for the guy" ones!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! That must have been a wonderful feeling!

The husband cards are SO much nicer!
Not that I was looking longingly at them for DH's b-day in June... :bigsmile:

audball

Ideal_Rock
They really are! I'll get my first wife card on Sunday, too! :)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my first husband card for DH's birthday in June...yeah, he didn't even notice it said "husband" on it. :rolleyes:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
He also had the perfect opportunity to get me a wife card for my bday in April, but instead I got a Disney Princess card with make-it-yourself jewelry stencils and stickers in it. LMAO, boys.

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1385574076|3564012 said:
I bought my first husband card for DH's birthday in June...yeah, he didn't even notice it said "husband" on it. :rolleyes:
Hah! Boys. Andrew will notice because I've been talking about how excited I am for a larger selection of cards for entirely too long and told him yesterday that I found the perfect one.

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1385574208|3564014 said:
He also had the perfect opportunity to get me a wife card for my bday in April, but instead I got a Disney Princess card with make-it-yourself jewelry stencils and stickers in it. LMAO, boys.
Bwahah! Seriously!? LMAO.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1385574265|3564017 said:
star sparkle|1385574208|3564014 said:
Bwahah! Seriously!? LMAO.

Yup.

(Part of his gift to me was a gift card specifically to buy nail polish because he knows how obsessed I am with it.)

card.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
Okay, despite missing the mark on the wife card bit...this is pretty adorable.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1385585311|3564117 said:
Okay, despite missing the mark on the wife card bit...this is pretty adorable.

Haha, yeah, it is. I thought it was too cute that he incorporated two of my favorite things - nail polish, and jewelry! :lol: So he DOES pay attention...lmao.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Audball -- Enjoy your cards!

Star -- :lol: :lol: Your description is hilarious! The card is really cute but.... he could have at least handwritten "Wife" on it!

Walked out of the office laughing last night and DH asked what was happening in the "ladies group". I told him about Audball being so excited to buy a "husband" card and he just said something about why would you buy a card anyways... Okay. So now I know I need to hint (strongly) at how wonderful it is. He's got until my b-day in March to figure it out :rolleyes:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm off to make sweet potatoes to take to my grandparents' house.

Should be working on our Friday turkey dinner too. I've at least got to get the turkey thawed by the end of the day!
Ideally I'd also have the bread baked for stuffing, turkey stock simmered to use in stuff, and some pie crusts made up ready to go.

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1385590067|3564157 said:
Haha, yeah, it is. I thought it was too cute that he incorporated two of my favorite things - nail polish, and jewelry! :lol: So he DOES pay attention...lmao.
He sure does! :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1385661466|3564528 said:
Audball -- Enjoy your cards!

Star -- :lol: :lol: Your description is hilarious! The card is really cute but.... he could have at least handwritten "Wife" on it!

Walked out of the office laughing last night and DH asked what was happening in the "ladies group". I told him about Audball being so excited to buy a "husband" card and he just said something about why would you buy a card anyways... Okay. So now I know I need to hint (strongly) at how wonderful it is. He's got until my b-day in March to figure it out :rolleyes:
Thanks TP! :))

I love cards. My DH also thinks they're silly but he gets one for me for every thing we celebrate and writes something sweet in it because he knows i love them. I have every card he's ever given me. :love:

I hope you can bring your DH on board with the card giving!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1385661901|3564531 said:
Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm off to make sweet potatoes to take to my grandparents' house.

Should be working on our Friday turkey dinner too. I've at least got to get the turkey thawed by the end of the day!
Ideally I'd also have the bread baked for stuffing, turkey stock simmered to use in stuff, and some pie crusts made up ready to go.
You too! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
My DH hates cards too. He thinks they're pointless, and he only gets them for me because he knows I'll be sad if he doesn't. So, while silly, the Princess card was actually really sweet in the sense that he picked something out he thought I'd like rather than just grabbing the first card he saw.

Hope you both had a great Thanksgiving! I can't wait to have leftovers tonight!

audball

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1385762976|3564896 said:
My DH hates cards too. He thinks they're pointless, and he only gets them for me because he knows I'll be sad if he doesn't. So, while silly, the Princess card was actually really sweet in the sense that he picked something out he thought I'd like rather than just grabbing the first card he saw.

I think it's a guy thing. All men seem to think cards are pointless but getting a thoughtful one and taking the time to write something nice means more to me than whatever may be wrapped behind it.

We're having leftovers tonight too! So excited.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1385763068|3564897 said:
star sparkle|1385762976|3564896 said:

I think it's a guy thing. All men seem to think cards are pointless but getting a thoughtful one and taking the time to write something nice means more to me than whatever may be wrapped behind it.
We're having leftovers tonight too! So excited.

Yes!

I've been trying to explain this but DH doesn't seem to get it! The last card I got from him was probably 6 years ago on my b-day. I was standing there when he bought it (we were spending my b-day together in Leavenworth). He paid for it and then just handed it to me -- the blank card without writing in it or even sticking it in the envelope :lol:

Turkey for dinner!

My family Thanksgiving was just as.... interesting as I would have expected. My mother was stand-offish. Her friend was rude. The food ranged from so-so to OMG :knockout: Poor DH hurt so bad he had to sit in the car (the only comfortable-ish place to sit for him) with the brace and tens machine and other muscle helpers most of the evening. One marijuana smoker in the driveway. Our wedding was strictly avoided by all -- not even a congratulations (including from my cousin who got married (courthouse only, not planned) a month after us -- I DID have the good manners to congratulate him and his new wife).
One aunt's husband up and left without a word to anyone (including his own wife).
My aunt, mother, mother's friend and I did all the cleanup we could (left the kitchen spotless, furniture all moved back, etc).
"A" had her bracelet break while we were there so had to do a search of the floor. Oh the eye-rolling looks I got from my mother when people learned that it was NOT plastic beads but actual real pearls (plus garnets, peridot, aquamarine, and amethyst).

My grandmother had an anxiety attack (thankfully after most people had left). She has these due to her Parkinson's Disease (or the medicines she is on?). It was so sudden. So horrible to see her like that ;(

The turkey I cooked yesterday was delicious! Having it for dinner again tonight :lickout:
And tomorrow and the next and the next...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I'm sorry your family wasn't positive and congratulatory. That's really unfortunate. I'm glad you got some yummy turkey that you made yourself, though!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eh. That is my family. Nothing surprising. I'm actually glad it went as well as it did. Gatherings usually end in at least one person leaving in a huff after a disagreement :rolleyes:

Our turkey was yummy though! We grow herbs in our garden so I can use lots of those :lickout:

Have you gotten your registry coupons yet? We got 20% off coupons for anything left on our registry.
I'd love to get some of the stuff, but we're not really able right this minute. I'm not too upset though because I routinely get 20% off coupons from each of these places so it isn't like we can't get the stuff later.

Still need to get out the thank you cards. Just have 3 to do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results