shape
carat
color
clarity

Random misconceptions that I had before pricescope!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
(1) I used to believe that people with really sparkely diamonds treated their jewellery really carefully. eg took rings off when they did the dishes, slept etc.

This belief started because everytime I asked someone who I noticed had really firey diamonds, they would say things like.....well I always take them off when I get home etc

Deep down I thought that these people might have just somehow bought really expensive diamonds.....but I could never work out what was the secret.

Now I know it is to do with cut, and cleaning the diamond.

(2) I used to think eternity bands were stupid because the diamonds underneith were just silly.

Now I adore eternity bands.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't realize there was more to "cut" than shape (like a lot of people before PS I am sure!)

Discovered antique cuts- I guess I assumed there'd always been RBs, lol

Found out about fancy cut "finger coverage," I didn't realize how big a difference there could be btw a carat of say, asscher and a carat of pear.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 7:24:15 PM
Author: suchende
I didn't realize there was more to 'cut' than shape (like a lot of people before PS I am sure!)

Discovered antique cuts- I guess I assumed there'd always been RBs, lol

Found out about fancy cut 'finger coverage,' I didn't realize how big a difference there could be btw a carat of say, asscher and a carat of pear.
Ha...you`re right! I can relate to those!!!!

When I was really young I used to think there were round `cut` diamonds....and the rest were just inferior shapes that you bought if you couldnt afford a rb.

And another huge one for me was when it clicked that the finger size, shape and even the proportion of the finger had a lot to do with why some rings just looked better!!!!

A story about involving this goes back to when I first got engaged. My dh offered me this oldfashioned ring with a largish 1.5 carat princess cut. For some reason I said no and another family member got it as her engagement ring. Well, of course she reset it and all of a sudden it looked like the biggest rock I had ever seen!!!! It kept falling underneith her finger and swinging all over the place. Boy was I regretful.....but I was sure it didnt look `that` big before!!!!

Now I understand that this beautiful indian woman had the tiniest most narrow hands possible, although long and elegant also!!!! And that is why the diamond looked so massive!!!! But at the time I couldnt work out how the ring suddenly became so beautiful, and I blamed the setting change as the reason why the diamond looked so increadibly big on her hand. I remember that I couldnt look away and I was speachless at how the diamond grew so much.

But I did sulk for years over that one.....and my husband never heard the end of it because he had told me that the setting was not to be altered
29.gif
....yet the other girl changed it without a blink from her partner!!! Hee hee
12.gif

Anyway, now I know it was all to do with her beautiful tiny frame!!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I can''t begin to tell you all that I''ve learned since coming to PS!!! I love this place!!!
36.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Tell us !!! (or at least the funny ones)
9.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
In no particular order:

1, I thought our longtime family jeweler had higher quality stuff at a great price.

2. I thought clarity was the C that affected the sparkle factor.

3. I thought a 1 carat was the perfect size for me. Although, while some of my DSS may be due to pscope, it may also have to do with the fact that I joined a few years before we actually got engaged, and we moved into our late twenties during that time. At that point, our salaries, as well as those of our friends increased significantly, so each successive fiancee seemed to get bigger and bigger stones.

4. (hiding head in shame) I thought the "jewelry exchange" would be a great place to score a deal.

5. I also thought the shenoa auctions were a good value.

6. I thought cut referred to shape.

7. I thought erings were largely purchased already complete. I was not aware that one could hunt down a great stone and a setting separately. It also never dawned on me that the stone and the setting could come from different vendors.

8. I thought all those "wholesale" jewelers were really wholesellers.

9. I assumed color was graded face up.

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
I thought the diamond and the setting were a package deal and always purchased together. I had no idea you could purchase them separately.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 12:28:29 PM
Author: gryffindor
I thought the diamond and the setting were a package deal and always purchased together. I had no idea you could purchase them separately.
Not only is this a common one, but it is hard to shake! I have a friend who''s looking for an e-ring right now and he just can''t get his mind around the idea. Frustrating.

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
sorry weird post formatting, double post

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
Oh boy..before PS I thought that (in no particular order):

That the bigger the carat the better

Cut was just the shape

Clarity was about the sparkle and fire

I had never heard of oec''s, but now I''m loving them

I thought buying online was a sham and it''s better most of the time to buy from a jewelry store

buying the stone seperately was a silly thing to do

ebay was a great place to snag a quality stone

enhanced diamonds were a good thing-thank you Lorelei for showing me the way on that!
36.gif

I had never heard the term firecracker applied to diamonds before

oh boy...I could go on but my son just woke up from his nap. I''m glad to see I wasn''t the only one who had similar misconceptions and was happily shown the correct path.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you landed here at Pricescope you have immediately joined the ranks
of super smart and educated consumers
34.gif

Consider yourselves head and shoulders above the majority of diamond shoppers today.

What you can learn here is limitless!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 1:16:46 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
If you landed here at Pricescope you have immediately joined the ranks
of super smart and educated consumers
34.gif

Consider yourselves head and shoulders above the majority of diamond shoppers today.

What you can learn here is limitless!

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
LOL when I read that first line I thought it was another misconception and I was going to say... yikes! It''s a good start anyway!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I couldn''t understand why people liked diamonds so much.

I thought that they were greyish, not very interesting looking stones. I could tell that some of them sparkled and others didn''t, but I didn''t know why. And even the sparkliest ones that I saw didn''t look all THAT nice.

then I got my ideal cut F color anniversary ring from Blue Nile and never looked back.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought you needed to buy a D-F/VV/VS range diamond for it to look great...

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 6:02:25 PM
Author:Sharon101
(1) I used to believe that people with really sparkely diamonds treated their jewellery really carefully. eg took rings off when they did the dishes, slept etc.

This belief started because everytime I asked someone who I noticed had really firey diamonds, they would say things like.....well I always take them off when I get home etc

Deep down I thought that these people might have just somehow bought really expensive diamonds.....but I could never work out what was the secret.

Now I know it is to do with cut, and cleaning the diamond.

(2) I used to think eternity bands were stupid because the diamonds underneith were just silly.

Now I adore eternity bands.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Me too! I didn''t see the point of eternity bands since I could only see half of the diamonds. Then I purchased an eternity band for my weddiing ring and fell in love with it! No matter how many times it spun, I could still see diamonds.

And I love the symbolism of "eternity". It''s just so fitting for marriage.
5.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never thought I would design a diamond that would actually be cut.
Far as that goes I didn't think that was ever going to be possible even though I had thought it would be kewl to design a diamond.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany quality was above anything you can get online.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 1:58:51 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I thought you needed to buy a D-F/VV/VS range diamond for it to look great...
Me too! I didn''t think cut was very important at all.

I also couldn''t see the point of buying a diamond and setting separately; I thought you went to the jewellery store and just bought what you liked.

I''d never heard of Mark Morell, Leon Mege or any of the others who do custom work.

I thought diamond shapes were limited to round and square (princess). I''d never seen nor heard of an asscher, cushion, OEC, OMC. I''d seen emerald cuts in aquamarines and emeralds but never in diamonds.

I was so naive that I bought a diamond upgrade from Blue Nile and believed every word the salesperson said. The stone is beautiful (pure luck), but I paid far too much for it.
14.gif

I could go on, but you can see how naive I really was. I''d like to think I''ve learned a lot on PS, but many others know a lot more; I bow to their expertise.
36.gif
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 2:22:00 PM
Author: strmrdr
Far as that goes I didn''t think that was ever going to be possible even though I had thought it would be kewl to design a diamond.
I''ve admired your designs, Karl but didn''t know that you''d actually had one cut. Which one? Pictures???
36.gif
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:02:50 PM
Author: isaku5

Far as that goes I didn''t think that was ever going to be possible even though I had thought it would be kewl to design a diamond.

I''ve admired your designs, Karl but didn''t know that you''d actually had one cut. Which one? Pictures???
36.gif
35.gif

pictures towards the end of the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-cut-asschers-with-small-corners-and-windmills.78433/

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:14:41 PM

Date: 2/1/2009 3:02:50 PM
Author: isaku5

36.gif
35.gif

pictures towards the end of the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-cut-asschers-with-small-corners-and-windmills.78433/
Fantastic!! Did your client buy it??

Personally, I love your monster cut!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results