shape
carat
color
clarity

Raises

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
My husband has been planning to promote a guy that works for him for a long time and he finally got the go through his HR department. It has been like a year now. I have been excited about it because I met the guy and his wife at a party and they just had their third child so I knew they would love having the extra $$. He won''t be getting promoted for a few more months but he is getting a $20,000 raise which is just under 20% of his salary. Why am I so excited for them? Not sure. I guess I love it when people get a nice raise instead of those little tiny inflation raises. I asked when he was going to tell the guy about it and he said he wasn''t sure. I told him to do it the day before Thanksgiving and he said he probably would. I figure he will think he is getting fired when DH calls him into to tell him the good news because that is the week a lot of companies fire people (sadly). He said the HR people were in his office this morning and they had the door closed so I figure all of the tongues are wagging about what is up. Even better, they probably will promote him soon and he will get another $15k bump.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allisonfaye - what a great Thanksgiving gift to give this guy (part of the raise package must be that he buys his wife something sparkley with some of the extra $!). And your husband is very generous to give a raise like this in a time when even ten percent would be considered very generous.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that's so awesome allison. greg got a huge raise this year as well and it was such a nice surprise since we were NOT remotely expecting absolutely anything close to it. it was a serious shocker for him and then when he told me i was like WOO HOO! hehe. it's so nice when companies acknowledge the work that their employees do because not enough companies actually do that. typically you have to fight to get your measly 5% or whatever per year, and so when companies go totally above and beyond and do something really spectacular, it makes you feel very special. i was very proud of my darling hubby when he told me because i know how hard he works. and he groused a little, because he felt even more married to the company after the bump, but i know the overachier MBA leo in him was happily licking his fur in pride as well.
2.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Well, part of it is that DH knows (partly in research for his own salary) that his company is vastly underpaying him and his staff. He is in a field that is very much in demand right now and DH is afraid of losing good employees because of it.

What does your husband do, Mara? That''s so cool. You guys must have been thrilled.

I guess I am enjoying living vicariously because I am not working right now. I got a couple of good bumps over the last few years so I know how nice it is. I wish I could be there when DH tells him. I wonder if he expects it all all. He must realize he is underpaid for his job.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2006 12:14:35 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
My husband has been planning to promote a guy that works for him for a long time and he finally got the go through his HR department. It has been like a year now. I have been excited about it because I met the guy and his wife at a party and they just had their third child so I knew they would love having the extra $$. He won''t be getting promoted for a few more months but he is getting a $20,000 raise which is just under 20% of his salary. Why am I so excited for them? Not sure. I guess I love it when people get a nice raise instead of those little tiny inflation raises. I asked when he was going to tell the guy about it and he said he wasn''t sure. I told him to do it the day before Thanksgiving and he said he probably would. I figure he will think he is getting fired when DH calls him into to tell him the good news because that is the week a lot of companies fire people (sadly). He said the HR people were in his office this morning and they had the door closed so I figure all of the tongues are wagging about what is up. Even better, they probably will promote him soon and he will get another $15k bump.
that''s so sweet that you''re so excited for them!!! My husband works for a large company and mid-year raises/promotions are almost non existant... and my husband got one this year! He doesn''t even *know* anyone else who''s gotten one in the 10 years he worked there.... and the same week a friend of mine''s husband got laid off from the same company
7.gif
In fact a lot of people got laid off and I''ve been asked so many time if my husband''s job is okay and I''m like he got a mid year raise and promotion!!! I was so happy for him and proud of him, but the timing was incredibly ironic.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2006 12:42:42 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 11/16/2006 12:14:35 PM
Author:Allisonfaye
that''s so sweet that you''re so excited for them!!! My husband works for a large company and mid-year raises/promotions are almost non existant... and my husband got one this year! He doesn''t even *know* anyone else who''s gotten one in the 10 years he worked there.... and the same week a friend of mine''s husband got laid off from the same company
7.gif
In fact a lot of people got laid off and I''ve been asked so many time if my husband''s job is okay and I''m like he got a mid year raise and promotion!!! I was so happy for him and proud of him, but the timing was incredibly ironic.

That''s great for your hubby. But sad at the same time for those people. I hate that companies lay off/fire people right before the holidays. I know why they do it. They are budgeting for the next year and they can''t keep people around long after deciding to fire them because word would spread. I guess some people have to get fired but I hate hearing it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah allison this year treated us pretty well and all of it was a 'surprise'. greg used to work for a large company, and they were bought this year by another larger company. so he made the transition, and it turned out he got the bonus for *last* year in feb of this year from the now defunct company AND he ended up getting another 100% bonus in summer from the new company (because they pay out in summer for this year). we were shocked because we figured they wouldn't give the old company employees a bonus for this year. so after that 2nd bonus when they did performance reviews and raises for this year we were like oh we doubt anything will happen, because he already got the 2nd bonus. so the raise was a huge shocker, esp since it was basically what your hubby's employee is getting, which was basically unheard of in this industry to get such a large bump (he got more than double what everyone else on his team got). they are really using the golden handcuffs to tie him to them...but at least they are appreciating him. it's kind of a double edged sword. as for what he does, he's a director of program management...but actually WHAT he does i couldn't tell you because it seems to be modified every 6 months to different programs and projects and i can't even keep up. the best part so far is that he doesn't have any reports to him, and he doesn't really want any because he has managed personnel before and it's way more stress and you don't necessarily get paid any more. so right now he's in a good spot...with the title, the pay of someone with reports but not having to deal with the hassles of personnel. they do want him to move up and take on reports soon but he doesn't know if he wants to. so we'll see!! but yes i know how good it feels to have that 'surprise' extra cash...and around the holidays would be such an awesome surprise for this guy and his family!! yay for them and for your hubby too.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean about the hassles of having people report to you. My DH has to review a lot of people''s work and they always leave stuff til the last minute like when it is his last day before a vacation. Makes me mad. He is such a stresscase right before days off and it seems like he works twice as hard just to be able to go.

Good for your hubby.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results