shape
carat
color
clarity

Rainbow Moonstone

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I'm new to CSes and I have been obsessing about getting a very nice rainbow moonstone cab and/or faceted stone for quite sometime. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It seems most of my googling has only brought me to stones of poor caliber or to blue sheen ones.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think any of our usual suspects carry anything but blue moonstone! There are a couple of dealers on Etsy that look to have beautiful rainbow moonstone cabs, but they are based in India and I also don't know how accurate their pics are.... I had considered going that route for blue sheen moonstone, but wasn't quite ready to take on the risk. I did message one dealer and he was helpful, but I haven't bought yet!

If you're interested, you can do a search on Etsy or I can message you on LT or something if you like. Always wary of poaching lurkers!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm in the same boat, ROL. I'd love a rainbow cab or even a very strong blue sheen cab, but all I can find is really poor quality examples. I've looked on Etsy, blingbunny, and didn't have much luck there either. :-/ I basically stopped looking.

I've attached my dream inspiration piece, and I believe it belongs to a PSer. Sadly, that's all I know.

_36489.jpg

moonstone1.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always seen lots of moonstone at the HK shows, mostly from the Indian but also the Burmese vendors. For stones in similar top quality to the one above, I would guess around $100/ct if not more. The big HK show is next week, I think David Klass and Carey Robbins ( jeweler and loose gemstone vendor) sometimes go to the HK show, you could ask if they could source one for you. Prima Gems will also be at the show next week, if that helps, but when I visited their booth last year they seemed more to be selling rather than buying. I don't know if they deal in moonstone but just fwiw. I am hoping to go to the show next Wednesday (if the lines aren't too crazy) and can check out some vendors and grab some business cards/website info if you want.

Finally, you can also try Barry Bridgestock. He seems to have a good source for moonstone (he had an amazing high end one listed on his site which sold I think last year) .

Edit to add: you can also try Sally at Heart of Water. Although she's more known as a jeweler, she can also source loose stones for you and one of her specialities is rainbow moonstone. I believe she has a good dealer in Bangkok who custom cuts material for her.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1456152003|3993954 said:
I'm in the same boat, ROL. I'd love a rainbow cab or even a very strong blue sheen cab, but all I can find is really poor quality examples. I've looked on Etsy, blingbunny, and didn't have much luck there either. :-/ I basically stopped looking.

I've attached my dream inspiration piece, and I believe it belongs to a PSer. Sadly, that's all I know.

Ugh I love that one, too. It's fzpanda's, I think she said she said she got it locally (in Asia?), but I have not been able to forget that one, either. The loaf cab that Barry had listed for ages also kills me. It's the last gem shown at the bottom of the page. http://www.acstones.com/gemofmonth/2008/gemofmonth.06.08.html

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for chiming in, mochiko. :) I've been in touch with Barry and nothing has come out of hiding yet. haha I might reach out to DK, just in case he sees something. That'd be awesome, if you wouldn't mind. I'd really appreciate that. Thank you for offering to do that!

Thanks for putting an owner to it, blingbunny! Oh, okay. Yes! I loved that one too.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
blingbunny10|1456017978|3993497 said:
I don't think any of our usual suspects carry anything but blue moonstone! There are a couple of dealers on Etsy that look to have beautiful rainbow moonstone cabs, but they are based in India and I also don't know how accurate their pics are.... I had considered going that route for blue sheen moonstone, but wasn't quite ready to take on the risk. I did message one dealer and he was helpful, but I haven't bought yet!

If you're interested, you can do a search on Etsy or I can message you on LT or something if you like. Always wary of poaching lurkers!
Blingbunny: None of the ones on etsy really stand out to me-- m ost of them seem washed out when placed on the hand.

Sparkliesluver: haha we are in the same boat as that is also my holy grail rainbow moonstone!!!

Mochiko: Oh yes, if you would could you please? :)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will do my best. Last time I had to skip the Sept show because I got there and the line was at least several hundred people so I gave up. :/ Hopefully it will not be as crazy this year. I only have one day to try to go (next Wed) because I leave for Bangkok on Thursday.

But I just remembered! At the June show I talked briefly with a gentleman, Mark Smith, from Thai Lanka Trading, who had both zircon and moonstones. He was knowledgeable and friendly. The blue zircon I saw at his booth had good cutting and were reasonably priced, unfortunately I was not shopping for moonstone so I didn't really look at them. Maybe he could source some rainbow moonstone for you? (Caveat: I didn't buy from him so I can't vouch personally for this company.) You might want to check out the site http://www.thailanka.com/our-rare-gemstones/ (seems like they were also at Tucson recently)

Gem Select and Africa Gems also seem to sell rainbow moonstone- could be worth looking into.

Resonance.Of.Life|1456198618|3994264 said:

Blingbunny: None of the ones on etsy really stand out to me-- m ost of them seem washed out when placed on the hand.

Sparkliesluver: haha we are in the same boat as that is also my holy grail rainbow moonstone!!!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1456198618|3994264 said:

I was looking at some from this dealer, though again I don't know how accurate his pics are:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/191609253/7-cts-truly-unbelievable-awesome-tope?ref=cat_gallery_28&ga_ref=similar_listings_row&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

There are a couple US sellers like Gran Gems that have one or two pieces listed as well.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a few hours to go to the HK show today and did a quick walk around one of the halls. Now that I'm having Yvonne make me a paraiba ring, I didn't have any money at all to spend at this show! I did see some gorgeous cabs like sugarloaf emeralds, star sapphires and cats eye chrysoberyls and alexs. I may save up for a nice cab next year. By the way, although it's a trade show, regular folks can get in as a "private collector". :love: It would be much more fun if other PSers were here with me, anyone want to do a CS GTG next year? :lol:

Sorry, I didn't manage to take any photos this time!

2016-03-02_14.jpg

I promised to pick up some contacts for rainbow moonstones, so here are a few vendors that had moonstone cabs that looked of above average quality. I didn't buy from any of them so obviously I don't make any claims as to the quality of their material, treatments, sales service etc. It's a trade show so I'm not sure if all of them would sell retail. :razz: I picked up some business cards but I don't know if it's appropriate to share them here. If you want more info feel free to contact me via LT.

M.S. Gems - Contact name is Mohd. Zahid Khan. He's based in India and goes to Germany and HK shows. He specializes in rainbow & blue moonstones and emerald. He had a very large selection of moonstone at the show, and he stated he was willing to sell in small quantities (not just large orders). He has a range of qualities available from nicer stuff to generic commercial stones. He was very friendly and open when I talked to him. If I were looking for moonstone I might ask him first.
http://www.indiamart.com/ms-gems/

New Star Gems - www.newstargems.com Friendly guy, he said he will be at JCK in Vegas. He has blue moon stone, rainbow moonstone, peach moonstone etc. Offices in Jaipur and Hong Kong. Contact name is M. Hanif.

Here are a few more companies that had moonstone (most was not labelled, just loose in trays, I think they were rainbow but not 100% sure). I didn't stop to talk due to time limitations so I don't have full details:

Temple Trading
http://www.agta.org/info/agta-source-directory-member-1454.html

Lunawat Gems Corp. (quality seemed a little more commercial but may be worth checking out)
http://www.jaipurgem.com/en/

Jolly Gems (HK and India office)
http://www.jollygemsinternational.co.in/

Scenario Gems (HK office)
http://scenariogems.en.alibaba.com/

Fancy Gems (accepts small orders)
http://www.hktdc.com/em/fancygems

There were also a few other vendors that sold moonstone but don't have websites, only phone & email. A couple of Burmese vendors also had nice moonstones but I think they can't sell to the US?

Not moonstone but it had beautiful cabs like star sapphire and cats eye chrysoberyl! :love:
Shimla International
http://www.ceylonbeautygems.com/
http://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Shimla-International/en/1X03XZY5/

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so, so, so much, mochiko! This is amazingly helpful. I appreciate it! :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko,
Thank you for always keeping us up to date on the Asian side of the CS world. :appl:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1456923775|3998391 said:
Mochiko,
Thank you for always keeping us up to date on the Asian side of the CS world. :appl:

Chrono, all I can share is a snapshot! :read:
There were 11 or 12 halls and I only did half of one hall even though I was going pretty fast. It took me an hour and a half! :lol:

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing mochiko!!!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
the show sounds amazing, will it be in march again next year?

AandCGemTradingCorp

Rough_Rock
Trade
Resonance.Of.Life|1456016723|3993493 said:
I'm new to CSes and I have been obsessing about getting a very nice rainbow moonstone cab and/or faceted stone for quite sometime. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It seems most of my googling has only brought me to stones of poor caliber or to blue sheen ones.

May I ask what it is that you are looking for, and are not seeing? Generally speaking, the really fine quality moonstone cabochons will be a very clean and clear stone with a very strong blue adularescence and it sounds like you might be have seen some of these online. Moonstones are most definitely a stone which tend to show their beauty, when viewed in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results