shape
carat
color
clarity

radiant vs. cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
I am upgrading my ring for my 20th anniversary. I plan to get a 3 carat stone, either radiant or cushion. I like the rectangular shapes of either of these stones, as opposed to the square. I will be using either trapezoids or bullets for the side stones, and the ring will be set in platinum. Any opinions on cushions vs radiants? I will be purchasing a GIA H SI1 stone, as that''s my price range. Does anyone have any pictures of a radiant or a cushion, with either trapezoid or bullet sidestones? Any opinions on which would be prettier, more sparkly, etc? Thanks. Joy

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 7:05:11 AM
Author:fullojoy
I am upgrading my ring for my 20th anniversary. I plan to get a 3 carat stone, either radiant or cushion. I like the rectangular shapes of either of these stones, as opposed to the square. I will be using either trapezoids or bullets for the side stones, and the ring will be set in platinum. Any opinions on cushions vs radiants? I will be purchasing a GIA H SI1 stone, as that's my price range. Does anyone have any pictures of a radiant or a cushion, with either trapezoid or bullet sidestones? Any opinions on which would be prettier, more sparkly, etc? Thanks. Joy
Radiants are Radiants....

BUT!!! Cushions are all over the place....
You have soooo many types of Cushions. From Antique to Vintage all the way to Modern type Cushion cuts....

The Cushion Shape can be cut with the most faceting arrangements or combinations.

Take your time and study and read. There is TONS of information here on PS on this subject alone... The more you research, the better off you are...

But it all comes down to you TASTE preference...

Good luck,

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
OOh, I like cushions infinitely better than radiants. Just don't like the faceting of the radiants. Cushions seem more classic. With an H, I also think a radiant may show more color than a cushion. Colored diamonds, such as yellow, are often seen cut into radiants because radiants help to enhance the color.

Two Leon Mege pics of cushions (but with shield side stones
30.gif
)

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=306

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=31

Don't forget the claw prongs!!

Have you considered Leon for your ring or do you have a setting picked out?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second one jazmine posted is positively scrumptious.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that it''s going to come down to your preference. cushions and radiant have different looks to them and one might appeal to you more. I''d suggest trying to find a place to view these shapes in person and even on your hand if possible to really get a feel for which you''d like, even if you are buying online.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I happen to love the look and elegance of a cushion, but they can be tough to find. You also have square or more elongated, so the search could be tough. I am not a huge fan of radiants though of course I have seen some stunners here. I love bullets or traps on the sides. Good luck and happy anniversary!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Oh...memories....I had the same problem when I got serious about picking a stone. First, I was sure I wanted a radiant, absolutely positive! Then I had a local seller bring one in for me and found I really didn''t like the crushed ice look, after all. Now, I have see radiants on this site that are so pretty it makes me wonder what I could have possibly not liked. I guess I, personally, just found the cushion faceting more appealing on the cushion...and I got a cushion brilliant, not the modified cushion brilliant, which I have heard can look like crushed ice radiant faceting. Good news is, if you like the crushed ice look, you can choose your favorite outer shape between the radiant''s straighter lines and corners or the softer outline of the cushion and still have the same faceting pattern. Seeing both radiants and cushions will give you a better idea of what you like in person. Let us know how your search goes. Best of luck!
1.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 8:19:45 AM
Author: dianne
Oh...memories....I had the same problem when I got serious about picking a stone. First, I was sure I wanted a radiant, absolutely positive! Then I had a local seller bring one in for me and found I really didn''t like the crushed ice look, after all. Now, I have see radiants on this site that are so pretty it makes me wonder what I could have possibly not liked. I guess I, personally, just found the cushion faceting more appealing on the cushion...and I got a cushion brilliant, not the modified cushion brilliant, which I have heard can look like crushed ice radiant faceting. Good news is, if you like the crushed ice look, you can choose your favorite outer shape between the radiant''s straighter lines and corners or the softer outline of the cushion and still have the same faceting pattern. Seeing both radiants and cushions will give you a better idea of what you like in person. Let us know how your search goes. Best of luck!
1.gif
Not all Modified Cushion Brilliants have the crushed ice appearance!
A CMB can look and have the same appearance as a CB (Cushion Brilliant).

But it is true, you can find Cushions with the Radiant or Princess type faceting...

There are tons of faceting combinations done on Cushion outlines/shapes..., Its the wildest cut out there today...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am upgrading my ring for my 20th anniversary. I plan to get a 3 carat stone, either radiant or cushion. I like the rectangular shapes of either of these stones, as opposed to the square. I will be using either trapezoids or bullets for the side stones, and the ring will be set in platinum. Any opinions on cushions vs radiants? I will be purchasing a GIA H SI1 stone, as that''s my price range. Does anyone have any pictures of a radiant or a cushion, with either trapezoid or bullet sidestones? Any opinions on which would be prettier, more sparkly, etc? Thanks. Joy
It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. Now you just need to get out to a few nice stores and look at cushions and radiants side by side. Look at as many as you can, even ones much smaller than what you''re looking for. Eventually you''ll know which one you prefer.

Yes cushions have alot of different facet patterns. So you really need to look at as many as you can before you make your choice. The first cushion I saw I really didn''t like. Looking back I think it was the facet pattern that I didn''t like.

Happy 20th!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, DiaGem, I stand corrected. Even with all the research I did there is always so much more to learn.
9.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have some pictures saved. Let me see what I can drag up for you. Sorry, but I don''t know
how to post multiple pics in one post.

big_image_HK%208.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
generally I''m not too into radiants... but there are TWO exceptions to that IMO and they are canuk-gal''s and suzyQZ''s. I love them both a lot lot lot and they are just so gorgeous. Canuk''s is the single best looking radiant I''ve ever seen and Suzy''s got three times the fun and a great ring that they''re set in.

Cushions can be hard to figure out, but if you do searches you''ll get more info than you know what to do with and at the end of the day still not know anything LOL But if you''re lucky, like I was :), then you can get an awesome cushion too!!

I hope they don''t mind :)

prin6.JPG

128IMG7.jpg

BTW radiants have a lot of pinfire - I think you should consider what type of scint you''d like. With cushions you have a range between pinfire and huge chunky fire - with the middle of the road being a very popular cut here.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hhmm, trying..

this is yellow, but...

radiantIliketheband.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
no side stones, but I like this l to w ratio

J0051PWDG6.59-top.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
cushion with pears

cushion with pears.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
more

possible radiant setting.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
nice cushion

cushionPerfectionReduced.JPG

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:05:28 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
generally I'm not too into radiants... but there are TWO exceptions to that IMO and they are canuk-gal's and suzyQZ's. I love them both a lot lot lot and they are just so gorgeous. Canuk's is the single best looking radiant I've ever seen and Suzy's got three times the fun and a great ring that they're set in.

Cushions can be hard to figure out, but if you do searches you'll get more info than you know what to do with and at the end of the day still not know anything LOL But if you're lucky, like I was :), then you can get an awesome cushion too!!

I hope they don't mind :)

BTW radiants have a lot of pinfire - I think you should consider what type of scint you'd like. With cushions you have a range between pinfire and huge chunky fire - with the middle of the road being a very popular cut here.
Cehra:
No prob, you can post any of my pictures if you think they are of interest and relevant.
2.gif

FulloJoy:
Cehra is right, there is a big visual difference between cushions and radiants. Radiants definitely have a lot of pin fire, an almost twinkly, random pattern of flash and color while cushions have bigger firey flashes, just not as many. I actually think Cehra has the best of both worlds. Her cushion has pinfire at the ends and broad flashes from the center. What you are trying evaluate with these two shapes is definitely like comparing "apples" to "oranges" not the same look at all.

I think you need to look at some really good examples (well cut) radiants and cushions so you can evaluate the best that each cut has to offer for your viewing pleasure. It would be a shame to disregard a cut simply because you didn't have a good example to base your decision on.

I actually love the unpatterned pin fire and constant sparkliness of my radiants. They don't have a bad angle. On the other hand, I have seen some incredible cushions here (Cehra's for one) that actually make me want the defined sparkle and fire flashes of a well cut cushion.

Bottom line. I think all diamonds are beautiful and each cut (shape) has their own unique characteristics. When you get into fancy shapes that don't have a defined "right or wrong" formula you need to go by what looks good to your EYE. You can't go wrong if you end up with something you love and get joy from looking at it.

Good luck in your search for "The One" no matter what shape you decide. It IS worth the effort.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Thanks Cehra for the kind compliments and picture of my ring.

As for the appearance of a radiant, I agree with previous assessment of sparkle--of the pinfire type. I liken the look of mine to a kaleidoscope vs. crushed ice. The only thing I would add is that it is reported that radiants have a greater propensity to show their body color than some other fancy cuts. Mine is an H, but I can see some warmth in different lighting.

Look around at your local B & M''s and try a few on--cushions and radiants. Then tell us what you''ve decided! Good luck.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results