shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Help...Only take a New York Minute!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

adredog

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of locating the perfect diamond, for the perfect budget, for the perfect girlfriend but need some help.

I am totally new to this so any help / feedback would be greatly appreciated. I THINK this is a good deal. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Weight: 2.01
Clarity: SI-2
Color: H
Cut: Radiant
Measurements: 7.91x6.65x4.81
Depth: 72.3%

Table Width: 73%
Crown Height: 10%
Pavilion Depth: ?

Girdle Thickness: thin, polished
Polish: good
Symmetry: good

Culet: none
Graining: no
Flor: no
Price: $8500

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hello adredog! Welcome to Pricescope!

I have to say that with Radiants, I am always a bit leery to try and define what a "good" one is and what it isn''t. Generally speaking I would suggest getting a stone that is GIA certified. The information you give seems to indicate that it is a EGL certified stone or other. Generally GIA''s standards of grading are closer, and tend to command a slightly higher premium for their accuracy, however, you have the comfort of knowing that you stone color and clarity are more likely what the certifcate says they are.

EGL and a few other labs in the US have been known to be lenient on color or clarity, rating a stone sometimes 1-2 grades higher. Since you are buying a stone based on it''s color and clarity, and the price you buy it at is based on it''s color and clarity it is just always best to make sure you get what you are paying for.

NEVER BUY A STONE WITHOUT AN INDEPENDANT APPRAISAL!!!! Make sale contingent on the appraiser''s verification.

Also, this stone you show will show a bit of body color in a slight yellow, especially if not cut properly... is that OK?

I also worry about SI2 stones, as their inclusions can be distracting, if they are not eye clean. Have you examined this stone with your eyes? Have you examined it with a loupe?

I guess where I most have issue is with the stone''s depth and table being over 70%. I generally preferr stones in the mid to upper 60''s. That doesn''t say that this stone is terrible, but you are probably paying for an inefficient cut, which leads me to wonder if it''s a cut that is sloppy as well... Have you seen more effiient cuts to compare it to?

For example, you see it''s 2.01 carats. I believe that it was cut to make that 2.0ct mark just right. A stone at 2.0cts always seems to be cut for the premium 2.0ct stones carry over the 1.98ct. Everytime you hit a 1.0 or a 1.5 or a 2.0 ct, you actually have a bit of a price increase. I don''t know the price, but I make a guess that you are paying for that 2.01ct! If it was cut effiently and not for size, it may be closer to a 1.89ct or so... I couldn''t give you an exact number...

Wait, I just saw the price, and I can say that it is SO cheap, beause it is EGL, and probably because of the SI2 and most likely because the cut isn''t very good. Diamond sellers are not stupid. A 2ct stone should be a lot more, but they discount stones when they can not command more because of cut or some other reason, so ask yourself WHY is this WELL below market for a stone this size...?

Have you seen the Original Radiants? They are usually the best cut, the most efficient and even their website offers great information for those who want to know more about Radiants. Visit them at www.radiancut.com. I suggest before you make any purchase, go find a retailer and see the stones, becuase we found in our search for my radiant that they were the only place on 47th street in NYC that carried very well cut, sparkly diamonds. We paid a bit more than a generic stone may have cost, but to us, there was no alternative WORTH it.

If you want the perfect stone, I would exhaust a lot more possibilities than just this one you posted, because I would have passed on it, and suggested something a bit smaller to just something that''s large and not all that pretty.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!!!

adredog

Rough_Rock
Nicrez-

Thanks for your help. It helps so much. So I was able to swing by one of the places on 47th St. It was recommended on the radiantcut.com webiste. He was able to help me out too. Did you purchase your diamond there too?

I''ll see where this takes me. Again, anymore insight / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... LINK what do you think of this one ? A bit less weight and higer clarity - not that much smaller due to a less deep cut and about as brilliant as they get. If the one you posted came with some description of clarity (SI2 may measn close to clean or really far from that) and light return it would be far easier to judge, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results