shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Halo: Is the stone set too high?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eyue

Rough_Rock
If anyone can offer their opinion, that would be great. This is my radiant halo. After seeing all the beautiful halos on this forum, I''ve been thinking that the stone is set too high. When you look down on it, there is a definite airline. I have always liked those stones that are prong set slightly above the halo so that it blends.

Here are some pics:

wDSCN2112.jpg

eyue

Rough_Rock

wDSCN2114.jpg

eyue

Rough_Rock

wDSCN2118.jpg

eyue

Rough_Rock
last one

wDSCN2119.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it looks high to me.

That may be a function of the fact that you have a sharply cornered diamond (radiant) that is going into what appears to be a mounting for a cushion? Unless it''s just the photo, the opening in the halo looks as though it has rounded corners? Maybe they set the stone higher so it would be less obvious?

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I would want the centre stone to sit a bit lower, but that''s just personal preference. If you wanted it lowered, that would be a pretty easy fix, I would think. In any case, it''s gorgeous!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 4:09:38 PM
Author: purrfectpear

That may be a function of the fact that you have a sharply cornered diamond (radiant) that is going into what appears to be a mounting for a cushion? Unless it''s just the photo, the opening in the halo looks as though it has rounded corners? Maybe they set the stone higher so it would be less obvious?
That''s what I was thinking too. :)

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I think perfectpear hit the nail on the head. As it seems to sit a little higher than normal, I''m just not sure lowering it would make it look good. I think it''s beautiful the way it sits now, but if it were lowered it may make it so that the airline is uneven. Does it bother you with it that high? Do you catch it or hit it on things?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think, as the others have said, its entirely a question of personal preference. If you would prefer your stone to be set lower, have a talk with your jeweler and see what can be done.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks a bit high. Its a gorgeous setting!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! It would be my personal preference to have it set lower. All about what you like....I'm guessing since you started this thread that it bothers you. I ditto amber's advice to talk with your jeweler.

eyue

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 4:09:38 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Yes, you are right. I guess I didn''t do my research on settings. Crookedrock is right too, if it were lowered it would be more obvious that the halo edges don''t match the edges of the stone. This is really too bad, since it''s not an option to change the stone or the mounting.

Thank you for your input! I''ll talk to my jeweler to see what I can do.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
From having worked in the jewelry business and knowing a little about the bench, my guess is that you fell in love with that setting, fell in love with your diamond, but those two loves happened separately!

I'm thinking your e-ring setting (gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous btw!) was not designed for a stone the size and shape of your radiant. From my experience, if a stone is a little small for the ideal mm size that any given ring setting would accommodate, the jeweler can usually make it work, but that typically results in having to set the stone a little higher in the setting just to be able to get the stone secured in the prongs. I really don't see how he or she could lower the stone any more and still guarantee its security.

Will they allow you to trade in the old setting and order a new one in that's made to better hold *your* diamond?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
The airline and the height are two separate things.

For me, I happen to prefer a halos inner edge to sit flush with the girdle of the stone, with no airline. I personally prefer bezel halos, as opposed to prong-set.

But it''s all a matter of personal preference. If I were buying/designing my own ring, it would be low and bezeled. Many people like there to be height between the stone and the halo though, and some people do prefer an airline. Again, all personal preference.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Its a beautiful setting.

I think it would be more pleasing aesthetically if the stone was lowered a little.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results