shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant diamond: How do "extra facets" affect the value and look?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kyledooley

Rough_Rock
Just as the title says.

I''m looking at two stones. Both GIA cert''d both the same price. Both G color and both are rated as "very good cuts" by my favorite online retailer.

One is a VVS2 with extra facets shown on the GIA report.
The other is a VS2 with no extra facets but (obviously) a few more inclusions noted.

I''m leaning toward the VVS2 stone as it also seems to have a bit more spread to it. Its 6.43 x 5.43 x 3.64 vs. 6.22 x 5.09 x 3.56 mm and it has (what I consider) a better girdle. The VS2 stone varies form extremely thin (chipping?) to slightly thick. The VVS2 stone girdle is medim to slightly thick.

My question is, this VVS2 stone looks like good value. Am I (is she) going to notice any extra facets? Will they negatively affect the look of the diamond and how will that affect an ultimate appraisal?

Someone please take me down a notch, or tell me to go for it.

Thanks.

Kyle

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It depends... Can you post a pic of the plot so we can see how large or small they are? Unless there are several (5-6) I doubt anyone will notice them...
1.gif

kyledooley

Rough_Rock
I can't seem to get the hang of posting pictures, but I can e-mail them.

Thanks,

Kyle

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
One or two extra facets probably won't have any effect on the diamond or the value of the diamond... The odds are that the extra facet is probably the result of the cutter removing a tiny inclusion to improve the clarity grade of the diamond, it is a rather common characteristic and one that is unlikely to be a concern.

kyledooley

Rough_Rock
NiceIce:

Thanks for chiming in. That is the sort of "make sense" answer I was looking for.

Kyle

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You can email me pics if you want. I can try to post them for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results