shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Cut Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

krangis

Rough_Rock

Hi there,

I am new at buying loose diamonds and I am currently looking for a good quality diamond to buy for my girlfriend''s engagement ring. I have done a bunch of research, but I still would like to know what some of you think. I have found one diamond that I am thinking about buying...let me know if this is a good buy or not.

Radiant Cut
Certification: GIA
Weight: 1.01
Clarity: VVS1
Color: E
Dimensions: 6.76 x 4.95 x 3.47
Depth: 70.8%
Table: 63%
Girdle: TK
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Is $4500 a good price for this diamond???? Thanks for your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Firstly, did you particulary want such a high colour and clarity? You could drop these considerably and still have a very clean and white diamond, just a thought?

Radiants are a tricky cut to assess by numbers, small variations in cut proportion can make a big difference as to how the Radiant performs, but here is a chart with suggested proportions which may help.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

Also see if your vendor can supply pictures of the diamond so you can get a feel for it's personality, also see if they have an Idealscope image available.

And as Miss Belle says, use the search tool to compare prices!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello krangis
35.gif
welcome to ps!
you can do a search using the ''pricescope your diamond'' to find a list of more radiants to compare prices to.

krangis

Rough_Rock
I would like to stay towards the top of the ranges for the color and clearity. I just want to make sure that the daimond is very white and it sparkles. Do you think the daimond above would be a good buy for $4500?

Jean

Shiny_Rock
As a radiant lover and wearer, I am by NOOOO means an expert but I would like to share my experiences with mine as well as what I have learned over the last few years. You will be able to get a larger stone if your at least consider going down to a Vs1. Mine is an Si1 and there are NO visable inclusions. Mine is a G and is looks great. What matters more than anything with a radiant is the cut. You cannot simply tell by the numbers. We learned that the hard way. You need to see the stone before buying. I think 70% depth is a little deep but I may be wrong.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have a radiant too and I found that it was really hard to tell what a stone would look like just by the numbers. In fact, you could have 2 stones with the same numbers look completely different. I think radiants show color more than other stones so I went with an F. I could easily tell the difference between F & G and even E & F. But I''m very color sensitive even in rounds. You could go down on to SI1 for clarity.

But most of all you really need to see this stone and others to get a better idea. If you see one stone alone it will probably look great to you because most diamonds sparkle but having others for comparison purposes let''s you see which one sparkles the way YOU like it.

Also, there are different patterns in radiants. Some have a crushed ice look with lots of tiny sparkles, others seem to have more chunky facets with larger sparkles. They will look completely different and only you can choose which one you like best.

If you are shopping with online vendors, have them send you some pictures.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
I do agree with Island Dreams, you can see color in a radiant.. like I said mine is a G and I think it looks great, but you can see a little warmth in it. I think you should get a e,f and go down in clarity. It is all about the cut with a radiant. Good luck.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
If you stick with the color grade you like and go up a bit in the clairty, you will still be safe. Radiants are good for not being able to see some inclusions. There is so much going on with the patterns, that it helps to hide the inclusions.

But as mentioned, seeing and having pictures or asset image is a must.

Good luck!

krangis

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your help...i''m starting to get a better idea on what I should be looking for. Can you guys help me out with what I should be looking ror the most with a radiant cut diamond. How important is depth? Should I stay within a 65-75% range?

Sorry for all of the questions...I just want to make sure I get this right!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
krangis:

You''ve gotten some really great advice already. I concur that you could easily drop down in the clarity to a VS2 with no appreciable difference to what you are considering now.

If you want to stay with high color, that is a personal preferance and as long as you know you are paying a premium for it, that is always your prerogative.

I absolutely agree that you need to see the diamonds, in person is always better, but a photograph is the next best thing.

Look at radiants and decide what "look" you like. There do look very different.

Visit The Original Radiant Cut website to learn what the proportions of a well cut radiant are by the originator of the cut. Here''s the link.
http://www.radiantcut.com/

Radiants ARE worth the trouble to find "the one" for you. I love mine. When you find the right one, you''ll know!

Caveat: I am not an expert, just a radiant lover!

Good luck!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everybody else regarding radiants: you have to see them! I had Whiteflash call in a radiant cut for me last week that was 1a-1b on the cut chart that Lorelei linked to. When I saw the pictures, I was sorely disappointed. I hated it!

However, I just got pictures of another radiant Whiteflash called in for me, also in the 1a-1b range on the cut chart, and it''s beautiful.

I think you just have to have your vendor talk to the dealer to make sure the stone has the look you want. (I prefer the crushed ice look). Then cross your fingers and have them call it in for you!

Whiteflash has been extremely helpful, and I know there are other vendors with rave reviews on here as well. (Diamonds by Lauren seems to specialize in radiants, but most were fancy yellows when I checked them out.)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results