shape
carat
color
clarity

Racism on Pricescope

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
One of the reasons that I post rarely anymore is because of racism on Pricescope. Someone recently posted a thread called Michelle's Helps with College Admission, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/michelles-helps-with-college-admission.230516/, with a link to an article about a black actress who received a letter of recommendation from Michelle Obama.

The article was not about affirmative action, or race based admissions practices. The article did not even suggest the actress was admitted into particularly elite schools--only that she was admitted to all the schools she applied to. The original poster suggested that the actress was admitted because she was black, and because she received endorsement from Michelle Obama. Threads like this make me deeply uncomfortable. They're vain attacks on minorities. That thread has absolutely no other purpose than to attack a young black woman for her college admissions. I do not understand why it remains on the Pricescope Hangout Board.

The Pricescope Hangout has turned into a bizarre Reddit homepage for AOL clickbait to bits of gossip--so many threads are either heavy handed with innuendo against minorities and immigrants or actually openly racist.

Moderators, will you be doing anything about this? I feel like our community has been eroded by needling and discriminatory threads and posts--this was once a wonderful place to chat with friends about diamonds, gems, common interests, and popular culture, but feels very different now.

Any thoughts from the group?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, put her on ignore.

Don't even open threads started by a troll, especially when they go on for several pages.
You KNOW it's just going to be ugliness ... the reason trolls start threads.

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Kenny! Good to hear from you :wavey:Its been so painful to read some of the threads on the boards lately. Kind of reminds me of your signature.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the reasons that I post rarely anymore is because of racism on Pricescope. Someone recently posted a thread called Michelle's Helps with College Admission, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/michelles-helps-with-college-admission.230516/, with a link to an article about a black actress who received a letter of recommendation from Michelle Obama.

The article was not about affirmative action, or race based admissions practices. The article did not even suggest the actress was admitted into particularly elite schools--only that she was admitted to all the schools she applied to. The original poster suggested that the actress was admitted because she was black, and because she received endorsement from Michelle Obama. Threads like this make me deeply uncomfortable. They're vain attacks on minorities. That thread has absolutely no other purpose than to attack a young black woman for her college admissions. I do not understand why it remains on the Pricescope Hangout Board.

The Pricescope Hangout has turned into a bizarre Reddit homepage for AOL clickbait to bits of gossip--so many threads are either heavy handed with innuendo against minorities and immigrants or actually openly racist.

Moderators, will you be doing anything about this? I feel like our community has been eroded by needling and discriminatory threads and posts--this was once a wonderful place to chat with friends about diamonds, gems, common interests, and popular culture, but feels very different now.

I have never opened this thread, Indylady. At first I didn't guess who "Michelle" was (believe it or not). Then it just never got my attention. A thread on racism (like yours) interests me, so I opened it at once. My thoughts? It makes me angry. I am glad you are calling people on it. Now I guess I will have to read the thread, although the topic sounds boring. (I prefer threads on politics.)

Thank you, as always, for being so intelligent and observant. :read:

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. I just returned to this thread. I hadn't realized who started the "Michelle" thread or how long it is. I do not promise to read it now. It is just far too long and not at all of interest to me. As to why ruby posts the topics she does: I do not know what makes ruby tick.

I think racism should be pointed out wherever it exists.

Deb :wavey:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't even open the thread just based on who started it.

Take it from the source, this is not to condone these types of posts however. I don't see anything worthwhile that comes from posting the types of inflammatory threads that you are referring to.

It baffles me that it is accepted though, I don't think it's harmless and it does need to be addressed.

ETA. It baffles me that it is tolerated because I don't think it is accepted necessarily. Also I don't have Ruby or anyone on ignore, I just don't open the threads because I know what the vibe is going to be and I don't see the point.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, I didn't read the thread but to those to did ... if it violated PS's policy about discussing racism you should report it immediately, before the gasoline is ignited.

I guess I should be glad that everyone has not put trolls on ignore; then who would report policy violations?

Last edited:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who participated in that thread, I want to apologise for any offence given. I was just thinking about why I took the bait, and I really don't have a good explanation.

I know it's a long and hideous thread to wade through, but I do want to point out that almost every single response on it was an outraged calling out of the racism.

Again, I apologise if I caused any offence, and I know I shouldn't have had a hand in keeping it going.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indy Lady, I also participated in the thread you are referring to. Most of us who particated do not feel racism should be tolerated. I personally feel the person who started the thread does so to get under the skin of those who find this behavior unacceptable. I apologize if I said anything to offend you. I couldn't agree more that racism should never be tolerated.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
OK. I just returned to this thread. I hadn't realized who started the "Michelle" thread or how long it is. I do not promise to read it now. It is just far too long and not at all of interest to me. As to why ruby posts the topics she does: I do not know what makes ruby tick.

I think racism should be pointed out wherever it exists.

Hi Deb! Great to see you! :wavey: I don't think that the thread is worth reading either. I also absolutely agree that 'boring' is a word that has come to mind for that thread, and many others that are similar to it.

For a time, I ignored many of these threads, deeming them boring, and by extension--innocuous. I treated them like a singular mosquito. Over time, though, the covertly and overtly racist threads are commonplace--a full infestation.

Over and over--I've seen people post racist, discriminatory posts, and defend them with--"If you don't like it, don't read it or post a response." NO. If your commentary is racist, IT DOES NOT BELONG HERE.

This thread says that we should prosecute college political protesters: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/inauguration-protesters-arrested.230880/

This thread celebrates the deportation of DREAM'ers--children that immigrated to the United States under age 16 and have been here for over 5 years, are of good moral character, and have graduated from an American highschool or obtained a GED. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/trump-to-exclude-dreamers.228961/

This bizarre thread conflates gun control and immigration and sexual assault in a highschool--https://www.pricescope.com/community/thread...nity/threads/18-year-old-in-9th-grade.229595/

This thread, like many others, has a "If you don't like it, then don't read or post to it' logic applied--
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/juvenile-throws-wood-block.228899/

This other bizarre thread is very worried about the words "something else" regarding the travel ban--https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/immigration-ban-and-something-else.228692/

This thread compares wearing a "Build the wall shirt" to a "Black Lives Matter shirt". One is a political movement against immigration......the other is a social movement to support the Black community against racism and violence, among other things...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/freedom-of-speech.228552/

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I didn't even open the thread just based on who started it.

Take it from the source, this is not to condone these types of posts however. I don't see anything worthwhile that comes from posting the types of inflammatory threads that you are referring to.

It baffles me that it is accepted though, I don't think it's harmless and it does need to be addressed.

ETA. It baffles me that it is tolerated because I don't think it is accepted necessarily. Also I don't have Ruby or anyone on ignore, I just don't open the threads because I know what the vibe is going to be and I don't see the point.

Thanks StephanieLynn! I agree--tolerance is the first step to normalization of racism. The harm creeps up! Good to see you :))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
As someone who participated in that thread, I want to apologise for any offence given. I was just thinking about why I took the bait, and I really don't have a good explanation.

I know it's a long and hideous thread to wade through, but I do want to point out that almost every single response on it was an outraged calling out of the racism.

Again, I apologise if I caused any offence, and I know I shouldn't have had a hand in keeping it going.

None taken at all! Great to meet you Jaaron! I absolutely understand taking the bait. I admire you for standing up to it! Thank you.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Indy Lady, I also participated in the thread you are referring to. Most of us who particated do not feel racism should be tolerated. I personally feel the person who started the thread does so to get under the skin of those who find this behavior unacceptable. I apologize if I said anything to offend you. I couldn't agree more that racism should never be tolerated.

Hi Caliie! Great to see you! No offense taken at all. I really appreciate your candor, and the candor of others that take the time to reply and stand up against discrimination on the boards. You make this a place and a community worth being a part of.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Again, I didn't read the thread but to those to did ... if it violate's PS's policy about discussing racism report it immediately, before the gasoline is ignited.

I guess I should be glad that everyone has not put trolls on ignore; then who would report policy violations?

So--I'd been reacting the same way--ignoring the discriminatory messaging here by ignoring entire threads, but I think that by doing so, its become completely normal to post threads attacking minorities. I wonder if the moderators are reading the threads, and why they haven't taken steps to talk to, or ban, posters that are posting obviously inflammatory and discriminatory threads?

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in on someone who has taken the bait before. Indylady, I admire you for starting this thread.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So--I'd been reacting the same way--ignoring the discriminatory messaging here by ignoring entire threads, but I think that by doing so, its become completely normal to post threads attacking minorities. I wonder if the moderators are reading the threads, and why they haven't taken steps to talk to, or ban, posters that are posting obviously inflammatory and discriminatory threads?

I guarantee admin doesn't have time to read and police every post.
That's what the Report Post button is for.

That's also why I would not address admin in a regular post.
Click the Contact Us thing at the bottom of every page.

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 5.28.11 PM.png

... or after posting report your own post and explain why it needs admin attention.
I've done this a few times, and Ella and Andrey have been very accommodating.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a gross racist thread. 99% of the comments reminded me why I love the smart people here so much.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think it is wrong to engage in a discussion with someone who posts something racist. I do not see why posters like jaaron and Calliecake have anything to apologize for. Also: I talk to ruby all the time.

Is it good for Pricescope to have these threads on political topics when they may bring forth racism? We have discussed whether to discuss politics before. But if we do, how we stop people from voicing their opinions (some of which may be racist or otherwise atavistic)? All we can do (as kenny suggested) is be sure that the Pricescope rules are enforced. And we can make our own voices heard.

In my opinion this thread was Indylady's (wonderful) way of making her voice heard and her speaking out was better than someone "leaving a troll alone". In the same spirit, jaaron and Calliecake should make their voices for good heard by participating in the threads of their choice without apology.

Just my opinion.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I like a healthy debate, but the Michelle Helps with College Admission thread showed me that whatever ruby59's motivation for starting it, she really isn't interested in facts/information or anybody else's point of view. I felt there was no point in engaging her because she rarely addresses posts/questions directly in any substantive way; most of her responses are false indignation. I still read the thread because I'm a masochist, but I stopped posting because, well, I'm not that much of a masochist. 8-)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me too! I apologize. I can say that when I read something I think is off base I just reply.. now this particular thread brought in great people who stood up for the girl in question. But I am humbled and apologize for my posts. :) Peace

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I feel bad that I didn't apologize for participating in any of these threads. I suppose that I didn't think of it as perpetuating the problem. So now I apologize as well.

E B

Ideal_Rock
You make great points, IndyLady- thank you. Something dawned on me last night when discussing this with my husband: the reason I've engaged again and again is because the way of thinking and the lack of self-reflection (whether intentional or incapable) is almost identical to a very close relative's (who I'll keep anonymous, that is unless you've seen this pre-edit :cheeky:). And the funny thing is, I made and have strictly enforced a ban on political debate with her months ago. Why engage in 'debate whack-a-mole' with a stranger? Because I absolutely agree that if it's just ignored, it could not only spread, but look as though this board accepts these ideas. Couldn't be further from the truth in reality, but how would passersby know? The key, I think, is to learn to discuss around it if it isn't removed by the mods. Acknowledge, but don't engage. I do think we have some great discussions when people are able to grow from them.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You make great points, IndyLady- thank you. Something dawned on me last night when discussing this with my husband: the reason I've engaged again and again is because the way of thinking and the lack of self-reflection (whether intentional or incapable) is almost identical to a very close relative's (who I'll keep anonymous, that is unless you've seen this pre-edit :cheeky:). And the funny thing is, I made and have strictly enforced a ban on political debate with her months ago. Why engage in 'debate whack-a-mole' with a stranger? Because I absolutely agree that if it's just ignored, it could not only spread, but look as though this board accepts these ideas. Couldn't be further from the truth in reality, but how would passersby know? The key, I think, is to learn to discuss around it if it isn't removed by the mods. Acknowledge, but don't engage. I do think we have some great discussions when people are able to grow from them.
I agree about what this board would like like to lurkers if everyone kept mum. I'm pretty fiery and opinionated, but I try not to be an a-hole with people I think bring good conversation to the table. When I see anything along the lines of "Why do gays have to throw it in people's faces, why can't black people protest peacefully, why do minorities play the race card, why don't liberal women sit down and shut up" something happens to me. I can't keep quiet. I don't think I'm alone in that here, I don't think any apologies are necessary, and I don't think it's at all a bad way to be.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried. When this baiting got started, I posted a thread calling out the baiting being tolerated and sponsored. I asked those who were feeding the baiters to strongly consider dropping the rope.

I also reported to the Administrator (first/last time I ever did that) the in-thread back-and-forth btw the same 2 posters who were parsing the N-word and why they, as white people, could not use the term. Completely offensive, baiting and disingenuous. Done with the intent to offend, at minimum. All the subsequent apologies from Pricescopers to those two for their martyred complaints were nauseating in the face of those sneering comments.

I was later removed from the posting community here by Ella with some darned harsh words to me by email. (Harsh words unnecessary because seconds after I posted, I deleted my post which is a solid sign of understanding the diagnostic word I used was not correct for Hangout). I did come back solely because had I not, the baiting cabal of 3 wins.

Pricescope, in my observation, is being destroyed from within due to the unfettered access given 1 person here. There won't be more than a shell left, if Rocky Talky and SMTB don't receive a strong population behind it to counterbalance the dwindling jewelry-related community here. I do appreciate the efforts by PS-ers in Hangout who've posted and hosted HangOut-supporting threads.

I came to PS initially for the bling pics and anecdotes---I go to Instagram for that now. Pricescope needs to solidify its relevance in the face of Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest---the cabal of 3 have brought nothing to the table related to jewelry as an art or a consumer passion.

The above are my experience here and opinion only.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that no apologies are necessary ... except one from the troll ... like THAT'S gonna happen. :doh:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's just the election, a few of these people were loud and clear in the white privilege posts well before the election. I have had one of these people actually write openly racist statements in one of my threads and when the were called out on it delete it and then openly then call me a liar and a whole bunch of other names under the sun and make out they were somehow the victim.

I don't think you can change ingrained views, I don't think some of these ladies even identify with being racists because honestly they simply JUST DON'T GET IT.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow privilege is better than white privilege...:praise:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried. When this baiting got started, I posted a thread calling out the baiting being tolerated and sponsored. I asked those who were feeding the baiters to strongly consider dropping the rope.

I also reported to the Administrator (first/last time I ever did that) the in-thread back-and-forth btw the same 2 posters who were parsing the N-word and why they, as white people, could not use the term. Completely offensive, baiting and disingenuous. Done with the intent to offend, at minimum. All the subsequent apologies from Pricescopers to those two for their martyred complaints were nauseating in the face of those sneering comments.

I was later removed from the posting community here by Ella with some darned harsh words to me by email. (Harsh words unnecessary because seconds after I posted, I deleted my post which is a solid sign of understanding the diagnostic word I used was not correct for Hangout). I did come back solely because had I not, the baiting cabal of 3 wins.

Pricescope, in my observation, is being destroyed from within due to the unfettered access given 1 person here. There won't be more than a shell left, if Rocky Talky and SMTB don't receive a strong population behind it to counterbalance the dwindling jewelry-related community here. I do appreciate the efforts by PS-ers in Hangout who've posted and hosted HangOut-supporting threads.

I came to PS initially for the bling pics and anecdotes---I go to Instagram for that now. Pricescope needs to solidify its relevance in the face of Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest---the cabal of 3 have brought nothing to the table related to jewelry as an art or a consumer passion.

The above are my experience here and opinion only.
I hang out in Colored Stones, the wild side of PS :geek:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm somewhat conflicted about whether to respond or ignore. I used to engage kind of a lot. However, after a lot of engaging but never getting anywhere at all, I finally began using the new and improved "ignore" function (after the update). I felt like it was necessary if I wanted my enjoyment of Hangout to continue. I had never, ever used the ignore function previously, and a part of me felt like I was "caving" by doing so, that is was wrong to ignore the racism, sexism, etc etc that I know is going on - I know it's all still here, I just can't see it.

Is that really the right thing to do? I still don't know, but I do know that I get FAR less upset when I come here, and my general enjoyment of Hangout has definitely gone up. At a certain point I realized that there are some people I just cannot positively interact with, so I'd rather not see anything they have to say.

That being said, I agree that it's very important to call out racism when I see it. Sometimes it's just hard to have to see it so frequently, though, which is why I've gone this route.

I certainly don't think anyone who calls out racist posts needs to apologize for anything! At least now you all know why I don't respond to those inflammatory posts anymore (bc I don't see them! Lol).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize by ignoring instead of fighting the good fight I'm not doing my work.

Sorry. I'm old and weary ... and some posters have demonstrated they are not honest.
Screw them.

See my sigline.

Kudos to those still willing to do the work.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results