shape
carat
color
clarity

Quitting Smoking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
2 years is great!!! Now your deserve something really wonderful!

Funny thing I forgot to write earier, My husband still hasn''t notice so last night I told him he won''t notice if I cut off my arm, still not saying anything about the smoking. He has been trying to figure out what I have changed. He thinks I must have done something to my hair. Men haha
I hope I can go a month w/o telling him or him asking about it. I think I will buy myself something and tell him it was from me to me. Then I will let him off the hook.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2008 9:05:20 AM
Author: cwj
2 years is great!!! Now your deserve something really wonderful!

Funny thing I forgot to write earier, My husband still hasn''t notice so last night I told him he won''t notice if I cut off my arm, still not saying anything about the smoking. He has been trying to figure out what I have changed. He thinks I must have done something to my hair. Men haha
I hope I can go a month w/o telling him or him asking about it. I think I will buy myself something and tell him it was from me to me. Then I will let him off the hook.
Hehehe! I have been treating myself quite well recently....
41.gif

DEFINITELY get yourself something nice at the end of your first month, I bet Hubby will be pleased to treat you once he knows of your success!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
I thought it was time for a update.. It will be 4 weeks Sat. I have noticed this past week has been harder than the earlier ones, go figure? I thought it would be easier and easier the longer I went w/o smoking. It seemed like I was missing them more at certain times and would actually get up to go smoke before I realized it, good thing I didn''t have any smokes! I would find myself just standing around looking for something, you know, kind of a lost with nothing to do feeling. I know that sounds strange, but its hard to explain the feeling. Anyway I just keep telling myself that I can do this!! I am also having to make sure I dont pick up a snack everytime I want to smoke, thats what my first reaction is to do when I find myself looking for that smoke! I''m only 5''2 so I can''t afford any extra weight. But so far I have not cheated at all, not even one puff!!
My husband finally noticed and asked me about it last night. He noticed because when we were ready to call it a night, I didn''t go out and smoke that last one for the night before I brushed my teeth. It only took him a month(almost) to notice. ha! I just hope he doesn''t start asking me about it all the time, I don''t think I could take the extra pressure.

So far so good!
cwj

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2008 9:14:39 AM
Author: cwj
I thought it was time for a update.. It will be 4 weeks Sat. I have noticed this past week has been harder than the earlier ones, go figure? I thought it would be easier and easier the longer I went w/o smoking. It seemed like I was missing them more at certain times and would actually get up to go smoke before I realized it, good thing I didn't have any smokes! I would find myself just standing around looking for something, you know, kind of a lost with nothing to do feeling. I know that sounds strange, but its hard to explain the feeling. Anyway I just keep telling myself that I can do this!! I am also having to make sure I dont pick up a snack everytime I want to smoke, thats what my first reaction is to do when I find myself looking for that smoke! I'm only 5'2 so I can't afford any extra weight. But so far I have not cheated at all, not even one puff!!
My husband finally noticed and asked me about it last night. He noticed because when we were ready to call it a night, I didn't go out and smoke that last one for the night before I brushed my teeth. It only took him a month(almost) to notice. ha! I just hope he doesn't start asking me about it all the time, I don't think I could take the extra pressure.

So far so good!
cwj
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I was thinking about you and wondering how it was going! You have done so well, you can take comfort that you are definitely over the worst now! It can take a little while to get out of the smoking routine, but you will. As to snacks and techniques, keep some chewing gum on you if the urge to smoke or snack strikes, those Listerine pocket packs are also good. Try a glass of water also as that can help if you feel you want to eat, also keep some prepared raw veggies around so you can have those, low fat yogurt, cottage cheese etc.

I would also spray on some perfume when I wanted to smoke, paint my nails, brush my teeth, these things helped also.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is an amazing thread. I just "quit" smoking, um, today, so it''s a fantastic thing to read - CWJ, congratulations on a month (almost a month and a half by now!). I put "quit" in quotation marks for myself because I suck at cold turkey: I''ve done it before, and I''ve promptly snapped when I''ve been stressed, or happy, or just generally reverting to type.

I''m trying electronic cigarettes - I don''t know if any of you have any experience with this, or not, but basically, as of today I''ve quit tobacco cigarettes, but I''m still getting nicotine through a little vaporizer disguised as a cigarette: hopefully in a month or so, I''ll go from the "high" nicotine strength to the medium, to the low, to the no-nicotine-period. I know it''s no different from the gum or the patch, but it still feels oddly unreal to me. Fingers crossed that it works, though ....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Circe - CONGRATULATIONS on your great decision!!! You can do this!! I used nicotine replacement therapy, the electronic cigs sound like a good way to wean yourself off. I tried these plastic inhalator things where you had to draw like crazy on them to get a nicotine hit, but they were such hard work, the electronic cigarette sounds better! When I quit forever, I used the nicotine gum, that was effective.

CWJ - hows it going for you?

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei, it is going pretty good. I haven't cheated and don't intend to, but I really thought the desire would be gone by now. I have always known that breaking the habit of smoking would be the hardest for me not really the addiction. I mean ofcourse you have to get past the withdrawal phase, but that doesn't last very long at all! Its the habit of smoking at certain times that is the hard part for me.

Circe, you can do this! It is hard, but you can. I really suggest that you get that book by Allen Carr. It really help put everything into context. I think we set ourselves to fail by convincing ourselves we can't break the addiction and really thats the easiest part. The hard part is just not doing it because we want to at certain times. Maybe the way you are going about it will help with that part. But please do yourself a favor and order that book!!! Its a real eye opener and not with scare tactics, just info on why we smoke, so every time I think about cheating I have to stop and think... its not because I am addicted to a drug any longer, but because I just want to smoke. Its thats simple... do I want to be a smoker or not? I choose not.

Please if I can help in anyway just let me know!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!

cwj

p.s. Circe I have been a smoker for something like 30 years, If I can quit I know you can!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cwj, I am so glad it is going well for you! I had smoked for around 25 years. I definitely ditto Allen Carr's book. The desire to smoke will get less, one day you will realize that you aren't thinking about it much, I will say now I am pretty much free from them in all aspects. Was it worth it quitting? You BET!!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CWJ, that is fantastic. Good on you! I know exactly what you mean about choosing not to be a smoker anymore: combing the house for lighters and tossing my old, wrecked, beloved ashtrays was almost harder than just, you know, not smoking cigarettes. And funny you should both mention the Allen Carr book ... a friend of a friend who''d used it to quit smoking had given me a copy three years ago, but I never so much as opened it. Now I''m reading it, and it''s making a frightening amount of sense (though, some of the dislike of nicotine substitutes is making me doubt myself for not going cold turkey - but I''m only halfway through, so who knows). With your recommendations, I''m definitely not going to put it down!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/28/2008 12:46:29 PM
Author: Circe
CWJ, that is fantastic. Good on you! I know exactly what you mean about choosing not to be a smoker anymore: combing the house for lighters and tossing my old, wrecked, beloved ashtrays was almost harder than just, you know, not smoking cigarettes. And funny you should both mention the Allen Carr book ... a friend of a friend who''d used it to quit smoking had given me a copy three years ago, but I never so much as opened it. Now I''m reading it, and it''s making a frightening amount of sense (though, some of the dislike of nicotine substitutes is making me doubt myself for not going cold turkey - but I''m only halfway through, so who knows). With your recommendations, I''m definitely not going to put it down!
Circe, don''t doubt yourself. We are all different and different things work for different people. The book also said you shouldn''t try to cut back as a way to help quit, but I think it helped me get past the first shock to my system. The book makes more and more sense the longer you go w/o smoking. Like I said, if I think about cheating, I can''t help but to remember what the book said about it just being a choice and I can''t fall back on the old addiction excuse. After I put the smokes down I did go back and read parts of the book again from time to time. It helps remind me why I wanted to quit in the first place. Don''t give up!
cwj

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2008 12:46:29 PM
Circe, I remember he doesn''t seem too keen on NRT, but I did it and used some of what he said to quit in conjunction, so go by what works for you. It is different for everyone, the main thing is that you ultimately give up smoking, not how you do it!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys

I saw this thread over from the "Advice you wish you could share" thread.

I quit about 9-10 years ago, mostly because even though I was a smoker I always hated everything about it - especially the smell. I had phases in my life where I would smoke more than others, but I don't think I ever made it to a pack a day. By the time I met DH I was more of a casual smoker, either smoking very little per day or only when going out. But he really hated it with a passion, so that helped push me to quit for good, and 100%.

I quit cold turkey - my substitution for the cigarette/needing to have something in my hand was having a bottle of water on me at all times. Whenever I wanted a cigarette, I would drink some water. It worked well for me, but I wasn't that heavy of a smoker. It was hard anyway though - but it really does feel so much better not to smoke, in more ways than one.

Anyway - I wish all you guys trying to quit the best of luck. You can do it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for sharing your experience Claude! I believe water is very important when trying to quit and it is a good habit to get into.

How is it going cwj and Circe?

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2008 4:04:28 AM
Author: Lorelei
Thank you so much for sharing your experience Claude! I believe water is very important when trying to quit and it is a good habit to get into.

How is it going cwj and Circe?
Its still going good for me! I had a birthday late last month so hubby got me a new watch for the birthday and then upgraded for the qutting!! I ended up with a new Tag, the one he was going to get and the one I had picked out was the link with the mop face and diamond markers. He bought the link with the mop face, diamond markers and the diamond bezel. Its beautiful and I love it. I will try to post pictures later.
cwj

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Happy birthday, cwj! The quitting is going well for me: I celebrated by getting tooth-whitening (can I just say, OW!). Claudinam, thanks for the water tip! I am definitely going to try to incorporate that into full-scale quitting ....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey ladies GOOD FOR YOU both for treating yourselves, you both deserve it! I would love to see pics of your lovely new watch cwj!!!! And happy birthday!

Circe - congrats on the tooth whitening, is it very uncomfortable to have done?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a fairly high pain thresh-hold, and I thought it was awful: I decided to do the Zoom! procedure on the spur of the moment, and only started researching it after I got home. It''s effective, but for two days afterwards, you periodically get sharp shooting pains that feel a lot like chewing on tinfoil. Beauty may be pain, but there are LIMITS! But, it''s done now, and I feel happier with my smile, and it''s more incentive to never, ever, ever start the smoking again - damned if I''d want to have to repeat THAT process!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 5:18:16 PM
I have a fairly high pain thresh-hold, and I thought it was awful: I decided to do the Zoom! procedure on the spur of the moment, and only started researching it after I got home. It''s effective, but for two days afterwards, you periodically get sharp shooting pains that feel a lot like chewing on tinfoil. Beauty may be pain, but there are LIMITS! But, it''s done now, and I feel happier with my smile, and it''s more incentive to never, ever, ever start the smoking again - damned if I''d want to have to repeat THAT process!
Circe, I did the whitening thing several years ago (I had to have a crown & the dentist recommended it before he made the crown). That was before all the new ways to do it, so I slept in mouth pieces for a little over 6 weeks! No pain from the mouth trays, but during the day I had the same kind of shooting pain. Yours was probably much sharper since your whitening was so intense, done all in the same visit instead spread over 6 weeks. I bought more of the bleach from the dentist, but I can''t seem to make myself repeat the process now. Maybe I should check into the zoom.

How is the quitting going? Are you still using the electronic cigs?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey, CWJ! I''m checking in for the first time in weeks because today I worked out for the first time in (insert a look of shame) YEARS, and I enjoyed it immensely. No hacking cough! No being out of breath in the first five minutes! Joy.

I''m still using the e-cigs quite satisfactorily: it''s a little embarrassing to keep explaining my "pacifier," but totally worth it. How ''bout you?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2008 6:29:25 PM
Hey, CWJ! I''m checking in for the first time in weeks because today I worked out for the first time in (insert a look of shame) YEARS, and I enjoyed it immensely. No hacking cough! No being out of breath in the first five minutes! Joy.

I''m still using the e-cigs quite satisfactorily: it''s a little embarrassing to keep explaining my ''pacifier,'' but totally worth it. How ''bout you?
WELL DONE CIRCE!!!!! That will really help you, when I first started I was winded after 10 mins on the treadmill at a modest pace, but now I can hillwalk for ages and not get tired or out of breath!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys,
converting from just liw to this form too. So here is what''s been happening so far-
Time without smoking- 3 weeks tomorrow
Method- cold turkey (yeah...i''m poor, even with the money i''m saving from not buying cigarettes lol)
Reason for quitting- to be healthier, my SO doesn''t want to outlive me by a significant amount of years
Withdrawel symptoms- severe headaches, decreased appetite, severe insomnia (3-4 hours a night at most, SO even noticed bags under my eyes when i was wearing coverup, just great), crabbiness, and combined with the crappy birth control i am on, decreased libido (UGH)

Will the patches help curb withdrawel symptoms? i feel like i am going insane. thanks guys :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold on Smurfy, feeling irritable, jumpy, losing concentration, headaches and all the rest are all part of withdrawal and what we call the Foggies!! It lasted with me for about a month, IT WILL PASS and then you will really notice the benefits of not smoking! Also as regards the insomnia, are you sleeping with a nicotine patch on? If so, that can cause insomnia and night disturbances, so take it off before you go to bed if so, that should help.

Keep going, you are through the worst!

ETA - are you using patches or just thinking about it? If you have gone 3 weeks without then I wouldn't start now, hold on tight, it WILL get easier soon!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
No I haven''t used any patches or gum or anything yet- was just thinking about it. But if it will make my sleeping worse I will definitely NOT use it lol. The Tylenol PM at least lets me sleep through the night even if it does mean I am groggy in the morning, 3 weeks tomorrow :) *i miscalculated earlier*

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2008 10:15:47 AM
Author: Smurfysmiles
No I haven''t used any patches or gum or anything yet- was just thinking about it. But if it will make my sleeping worse I will definitely NOT use it lol. The Tylenol PM at least lets me sleep through the night even if it does mean I am groggy in the morning, 3 weeks tomorrow :) *i miscalculated earlier*
Hows it going?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I screwed up and had one last night. I never go out for drinks anymore but I got engaged on tuesday and FI is out of town with his friends so my friends decided to take me out as well to celebrate. well my alcohol tolerance went down and 3 long island teas later i had one in my hand. i feel like such an @$$ but i know that this can happen so i''m not gonna let it knock me down. FI was really great about it, he didnt lecture me or make me feel bad, he just said i know how bad you want to quit and you slipped up, but tomorrows another day and i know you can do it.
so
that is my update
7.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t worry about it - it happens! Just pick yourself up and carry on, THAT is what matters is what you do about it, not that you slipped and had one!
35.gif

Keep going and congrats!

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 4:20:42 AM
Author: Smurfysmiles
I screwed up and had one last night. I never go out for drinks anymore but I got engaged on tuesday and FI is out of town with his friends so my friends decided to take me out as well to celebrate. well my alcohol tolerance went down and 3 long island teas later i had one in my hand. i feel like such an @$$ but i know that this can happen so i'm not gonna let it knock me down. FI was really great about it, he didnt lecture me or make me feel bad, he just said i know how bad you want to quit and you slipped up, but tomorrows another day and i know you can do it.
so
that is my update
7.gif
Hey Guys!
I too am checking in late!! I am still doing good, no cheating at all! Every once in a while I catch myself thinking its smoke break time then it dawns on me--I don't smoke! Its the strangest thing, just out of nowhere it will hit me, not that I want to smoke so much, as that its time to smoke, like after food or coffee. Its not like in the beginning when I thought I had to smoke I wanted to so bad, but kind of like I forget that I dont smoke and its just time for a smoke. That happens less and less, so when it does, it just sneaks up on me. Nothing I don't think I can handle, just funny how it happens.

More good news!! I was so worried about gaining weight that I started working out a little harder. I am only 5'2 and just a few pounds changes my sizes (I cant buy all new stuff!). So anyway since I quit smoking I have lost 4 to 5 lbs, I know that does sound like a lot, but I have also toned things up a little too. My clothes fit better, I have even gone and brought alot of new winter stuff! My belly is flatter and my hips are smaller! I am 46 so getting back in shape is wonderful.
I would still like to tone more and maybe lose another 4 or 5 lbs, but I am so excited that not only have I not gained because I quit smoking, but have lost and toned. So I feel better and look better!! Can't beat that!!!!!!!!!!

Smurfysmiles, don't give up! We all have fallen off the wagon, more than once in my case! Just get back on it!! I wish when I tried before and cheated that I had just started over right then instead of putting it off. It gets easier. You can do this and you will feel much better.
cwj

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Well I haven''t had one since that friday night, so that''s ALMOST a week lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CWJ, it just shows that you CAN quit smoking and not gain weight! That was one of my biggest fears, but thankfully it was unfounded, I just kept an eye on what I was eating and continued to work out, so gaining weight isn''t an inevitable part of quitting.

Smurfy, how is it going?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
it''s going *crabby face*
my mood swings and insomnia are back
and i had to clean off a poop covered cat this morning so im cranky
lol if i ever had a craving its right now, but im stuck at work so ill be fine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results