shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick Rhodium Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

horsey

Rough_Rock
Say you have two rings. One is 14k white gold, the other is 18k white gold.
You get them dipped at the same time. The colors of the two rings are now:

A) still noticeably different

B) very slightly different

C) the same

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:40:34 AM
Author:horsey
Say you have two rings. One is 14k white gold, the other is 18k white gold.
You get them dipped at the same time. The colors of the two rings are now:

A) still noticeably different

B) very slightly different

C) the same

Properly done, rhodium plated pieces should take on the same appearance. Rhodium is one of the whitest metals after silver. The process is done in a bath using positive and negative electrical current. It’s typically quick and easy:The jeweler will steam clean your ring and hang it on a hook. It goes into a solution of rhodium. The ring will be electrically charged one way, the solution the other and the rhodium molecules adhere to the metal and plate the piece like a coat of paint.

As with anything, be sure the job is done by a reputable jeweler:The piece to be plated must be thoroughly cleaned and if the solution is weak, or old and dirty the piece won’t plate properly.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
B or C... depends how good a job the rhodium plating is. I've seen 18K yellow gold rhodiumed white, it was estate jewelry she never wore it when it was yellow. Now she loves it in it's white state and wears it more often but it cost a lot more to get done then just getting something white gold rhodium plated white but it looked just as bright white as anything else when done.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
What is used to selectively prevent rhodium from adhering to the entire ring? I have had my rings plated only on the inside to prevent my finger from turning green.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2007 10:53:16 PM
Author: JoangA
What is used to selectively prevent rhodium from adhering to the entire ring? I have had my rings plated only on the inside to prevent my finger from turning green.
Fingernail polish works pretty well. It''s cheap, it comes in cool colors, it has it''s own handy brush and it comes off easilly in acetone when the job is done.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
They use wax too. And they don''t always plate the whole item, there''s also a rhodium pen that can be used to touch up only certain areas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results