shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick reminder re. Takahashi and photos/services - please read!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks,

I was chatting with Takahashi earlier and one topic that came up made me want to post this thread ASAP. Please note that this is NOT referencing anyone or any thread in particular (I’m totally guilty of being a PITA myself), it's just a general PS Pearls PSA that becomes more relevant as Takahshi becomes more popular on here.

Just a quick reminder that photos/videos of each piece you’re considering is a service. And with Takahashi - we're not paying for any services!! We're paying unbelievable prices for pearls straight from the source, and any services like personalized pictures that they might provide on top of those unbelievable prices are very generous niceties that they aren’t being compensated for.
They aren’t building that extra time and effort into their pricing model. If they did - their prices would go up.

If services (professional photos, return policies, etc.) are super important to you then Takahashi is NOT the right vendor for you!! In this case you'll want to buy from a local vendor, and you can expect to pay a commensurate premium.

Please let’s all - members and lurkers - remember this when we as private consumers choose to shop with them.

Last edited:

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I would also add that their packaging is beyond basic and not usable for gifting to someone. Again this is absolutely fine if you don’t care about that and would rather pay less for your pearls.

@yssie - when referring to photos as a personalized service are you including in that asking Takahashi to send you pictures of specific options in the size range/style you are looking for? E.g., “can you send me pics of your best luster 7.5-8 mm 18” akoya necklaces”? I would imagine no as how else can you make a selection but wanted to clarify.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also add that their packaging is beyond basic and not usable for gifting to someone. Again this is absolutely fine if you don’t care about that and would rather pay less for your pearls.

@yssie - when referring to photos as a personalized service are you including in that asking Takahashi to send you pictures of specific options in the size range/style you are looking for? E.g., “can you send me pics of your best luster 7.5-8 mm 18” akoya necklaces”? I would imagine no as how else can you make a selection but wanted to clarify.

Not at all! By all means ask for photos of the sizes you want, strands next to each other, on skin. Always okay to ask ::)

I mean things like getting photos and being really upset with the quality of them, or just asking for more and more photos rather than either learning to interpret them or posting here on PS for help, or demanding responses within a certain timeline, or demanding details you know they don’t have (like a guarantee of a specific grade, or a guarantee compared to another vendor)… Basically just a general request to not be a jerk buyer :bigsmile:

Great point about the packaging, thank you for adding that!! They def don’t waste any money on anything that isn’t *actual pearls*.

Last edited:

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Not at all! By all means ask for photos of the sizes you want, strands next to each other, on skin. Always okay to ask ::)

I mean things like getting photos and being really upset with the quality of them, or just asking for more and more photos rather than either learning to interpret them or posting here on PS for help, or demanding responses within a certain timeline, or demanding details you know they don’t have (like a guarantee of a specific grade, or a guarantee compared to another vendor)… Basically just a general request to not be a jerk buyer :bigsmile:

Great point about the packaging, thank you for adding that!! They def don’t waste any money on anything that isn’t *actual pearls*.

Great, that's what I thought you meant but just didn't want anyone who may find this thread while doing research to think they had to basically buy sight unseen.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey folks,

I was chatting with Takahashi earlier and one topic that came up made me want to post this thread ASAP. Please note that this is NOT referencing anyone or any thread in particular (I’m totally guilty of being a PITA myself), it's just a general PS Pearls PSA that becomes more relevant as Takahshi becomes more popular on here.

Just a quick reminder that photos/videos of each piece you’re considering is a service. And with Takahashi - we're not paying for any services!! We're paying unbelievable prices for pearls straight from the source, and any services like personalized pictures that they might provide on top of those unbelievable prices are very generous niceties that they aren’t being compensated for.
They aren’t building that extra time and effort into their pricing model. If they did - their prices would go up.

If services (professional photos, return policies, etc.) are super important to you then Takahashi is NOT the right vendor for you!! In this case you'll want to buy from a local vendor, and you can expect to pay a commensurate premium.

Please let’s all - members and lurkers - remember this when we as private consumers choose to shop with them.

Ive said this before Yssie
but you could do this for a job
...not sure what it would be called
have to sound posher than pearl- picker-outter

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ive said this before Yssie
but you could do this for a job
...not sure what it would be called
have to sound posher than pearl- picker-outter

I agree.

She could curate for anyone and it would be top notch.

I've only said this to one other PS member (diamondseeker) but if I come into some money, Yssie could pick out my dream pieces and I know I'd be in the most discerning of hands.

(Some of the things I think about when my anxiety plays hardball. That, and having cake with you Daisy)

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
This is really helpful! Thank you for posting :) I also agree that I wish there was a “hire Yssie as pearl concierge service advice” :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I totally agree with you Yssie. People need to remember that this is not buying from a Retail jeweller. You don't get nice packaging from a wholesaler..if you get more than a plastic zip lock bag you're lucky :)

And the photos...very time consuming for them. And excellent point Yssie that customers buying wholesale ( or retail for that matter) should spend time educating themselves on lustre ( that always seems to be the priority ... I won't even get into colours ) so one has a better idea of what the photo is showing.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree on the sentiments about not to be a jerk buyer!

This thread reminds of a trusted lapidary artist who has refused to entertain PSers due to their demands for extra photos/videos, then discuss the stones on here, for them to be returned later, etc. etc...

DK :))

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
And Takahashi being a wholesaler has been more than accomodating with all these requests they get. They honestly are the nicest people and keeping you updated. Totally agree that we should all understand that they are taking the time out of their day to do these things. Some other vendors are so busy that they won't even send you that many photos/videos, we should all be courteous.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help please!

If I were interested in getting a pair of drop-shaped pearls from them, either in Tahitians or white South Seas, probably a pair at a time, with good matching, do I just contact them via IG to enquire?

I have seen pairs of loose Tahitian drop shaped pearls that I like. In fact, there are many items on their IG page that I like, like the mabe heart pendant!

Going down the rabbit hole ...

DK :lol-2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help please!

If I were interested in getting a pair of drop-shaped pearls from them, either in Tahitians or white South Seas, probably a pair at a time, with good matching, do I just contact them via IG to enquire?

I have seen pairs of loose Tahitian drop shaped pearls that I like. In fact, there are many items on their IG page that I like, like the mabe heart pendant!

Going down the rabbit hole ...

DK :lol-2:

Yes! I do everything via IG :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I do everything via IG :))

Thanks for that. I don't use IG very much as I can just about managed FB, however, I shall contact them via IG as advised.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results