shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I would like to have 2 half-eternity bands made, one with round cut 2.5mm blue sapphires, and one with 2.5mm round cut peridots. I have been able to find sapphire eternity bands, but not peridot, I'm assuming because it's a semi precious and is not usually set in eternity bands?

At any rate, if I were to find and purchase 15 or 20 loose stones, 2.5mm of each gemstone, does anyone know of a company that will do custom work and put them in eternity bands?

EDIT: If this question was answered or any information was given on my previous post about peridots and sapphires, I'm posting this because I CANNOT find that thread anywhere, I checked in all my posts, everything. I went back to look at it and it was gone. POOF. Happened to me once in RockyTalky too. I don't know if it's a problem with my computer or what? Meh. Hopefully this one won't disappear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem with peridot is that it is pretty soft at 6.5-7 on the Mohs. I think you could probably find someone to create such a ring for you, but I'm assuming it would have to be worn sparingly. I'm also thinking that if you find a jeweler to do it, they would probably want to source the stones. Another thing that just popped into my head is that there probably isn't much demand for this type of ring, and that could be another reason you haven't seen one. One other thing is that it may not be a labor/price effective ring to make, because peridot are relatively cheap, and the labor might hike the price up too much to be considered a viable revenue-producing piece of jewelry.

I know what you mean about trying to find semi-precious stone eternity bands. I looked forever for a blue topaz one, and finally found it on Ebay. Alternating ovals and rounds in a silver setting. It wasn't expensive and it's not the most beautiful thing in the world, but I love it. I always figured if I wasn't able to find one, that I could always have one made later in life.

Have you looked on ebay? Or overstock?

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 3:08:48 AM
Author:Feralpenchant
I would like to have 2 half-eternity bands made, one with round cut 2.5mm blue sapphires, and one with 2.5mm round cut peridots. I have been able to find sapphire eternity bands, but not peridot, I''m assuming because it''s a semi precious and is not usually set in eternity bands?

At any rate, if I were to find and purchase 15 or 20 loose stones, 2.5mm of each gemstone, does anyone know of a company that will do custom work and put them in eternity bands?

EDIT: If this question was answered or any information was given on my previous post about peridots and sapphires, I''m posting this because I CANNOT find that thread anywhere, I checked in all my posts, everything. I went back to look at it and it was gone. POOF. Happened to me once in RockyTalky too. I don''t know if it''s a problem with my computer or what? Meh. Hopefully this one won''t disappear.
Yes I did look on Ebay, I found something, but wanted to shop around a little more before I made a purchase, just to be sure. And overstock. Couldn''t find any eternity styles. Then I got to thinking that maybe I could just get a peridot ring (not eternity) and pair a sapphire eternity with it. I plan to wear the sapphire one more often, due to peridot''s softness. My boyfriend is a peridot and I am sapphire and I just wanted a set to wear on occasions.

I looked at a peridot halo ring on My Jewelry Source, but then I got to thinking, with a peridot halo ring and a sapphire band, it will look exactly like my wedding set, just with gemstones, which I thought would be strange and I don''t know if I''d want them to look that similar. Especially if I wear the gemstone set at the same time as my wedding set just on different hands. Does taht make sense or am I being silly?

Maybe just a peridot "solitaire" or something loosely like that. Definitely a sapphire band though, I have my eye on one from BlueNile.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Freke is right about such rings not being cost-effective to make, and I''d like to point out that they''re even less cost-effective to have custom made, especially with peridots. I don''t live in the States and am not familiar with local prices, but I can imagine that a price of having just one stone set is probably at least 10-15$, and more probably closer to 20 or 30$. Now, you do the math to see how much it would cost to set 15-20 stones, and that''s without the cost of ring being made.

May I suggest a few things? How about wearing these bands (once you source them) as a pair slides on a chain. You wouldn''t have to worry about peridots'' wearability, and you could wear them "close to your heart"
9.gif
Another idea is to have a ring made with one cabochon peridot in the center, and sapphire sides/accent stones. That way peridot would be much more wearable, as cabochons are harder to scratch or damage, cause there are no flat facets. Might work great.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 4:50:37 AM
Author: ma re
Freke is right about such rings not being cost-effective to make, and I''d like to point out that they''re even less cost-effective to have custom made, especially with peridots. I don''t live in the States and am not familiar with local prices, but I can imagine that a price of having just one stone set is probably at least 10-15$, and more probably closer to 20 or 30$. Now, you do the math to see how much it would cost to set 15-20 stones, and that''s without the cost of ring being made.

May I suggest a few things? How about wearing these bands (once you source them) as a pair slides on a chain. You wouldn''t have to worry about peridots'' wearability, and you could wear them ''close to your heart''
9.gif
Another idea is to have a ring made with one cabochon peridot in the center, and sapphire sides/accent stones. That way peridot would be much more wearable, as cabochons are harder to scratch or damage, cause there are no flat facets. Might work great.
Excellent idea of a peridot cab with sapphire halo. The stones will be easier to source but it''ll still have to be a custom job, though not as expensive as having a peridot eternity ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results