shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question...CA tax and stone setting

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jyst a little question, got charged $22.00 in taxes to set my stone by a local jeweler. It's a small amount and I wouldn't actually care but when I asked about it, just out of curiously not questioning it. I said "oh I didn't know there would be tax", she had a total fit and said "oh we are done, if you have any questions about what's required by California law you can call this guy" and slammed down a business card. I was like uh no../I'm fine with it, I was just making conversation. So now I feel like she was so weird about it I should check. And I will not be using them again, what a weird way to treat a customer!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks to me like you owe it, although it does sound like the sales clerk didn't handle it well. Who's card did she give you? Her boss? Some tax auditor?

Here's what looks to be the relevant rules:
https://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub108/

Special note: I am NOT an expert in California tax law, or even Colorado tax law for that matter. If you really want to know, I"m not your guy.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How much was the setting charge? That's an awful lot of tax!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tophat1 asks the very question I was going to ask. What is your state tax rate and how much did you pay to set the diamond?

Wik

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I paid $250. He told me it was so expensive because it has 8 prongs. I could never wear the ring in the old setting because it was set so poorly, so I just went with it. This is the third setting, first one was beautiful but the stone hates rose gold. Second one was cute but the stone was set horribly and I would have had to put money into it to fix it and I wasn't feeling the halo look. This one was my final shot before thinking I was going to upgrade the stone, I even have one picked out. As for the price to set, I feel like it was probably too much especially because it only turned out ok, the prongs are not perfect but if it were not for pricescope I probably wouldn't even notice that. But the stone has a new life, it looks so so pretty!!!!! The stone is 2.2 carats and I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you so much everyone.

IMG_2783.JPG

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
That was a weird interaction. Would definitely not go back to them personally. Beautiful ring!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring - setting cost sounds a bit high but maybe that's normal for the Bay Area

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I think maybe it's high too but she looks so good I'm just going to let the weirdness go, but definitely not going to use that place again!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, yes, she acted very strangely and I wouldn't use their services again either. Not a great way to get repeat business lol! Your ring is gorgeous, enjoy it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup tax is due on a setting. SF is 8.75%. San Mateo is 9%. Los Angeles is 8.75%.

Weird sales person. I'd never go back.

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
I remember a few years ago when sales tax in some bay area cities was 10%. Now when I see tax rates at 8-ish percent, I'm like "oh not that bad." :cry:

As for your ring, beautiful setting choice! A few years ago, I was quoted roughly the same for setting an outside stone, and it was only four prongs. I wouldn't return to a vendor like this either.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honesty- My whole job is working with people. And the one thing I have learned is everyone has their own thing going- even if it is contrary to their own well being as an employee or the well being of their employer. Your ring is lovely though. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results