shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question about evaluating OECs without ASET, etc.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... I'm looking at OECs (preferably something in the 7-7.5mm range) in the next 6 months or so, but I've only previously purchased an AVR which came with ASET, Idealscope, etc., which made it easier to decide. I posted about it before and everyone had very helpful suggestions (glad to find so many other AVR fans out there!), but I still am on the fence whether just to upgrade my AVR later or to go for a real vintage OEC (which seem to be cheaper than the AVRs).

I'm looking at a few OECs from Jewels by Grace but not sure how to evaluate them.

Questions

1. What is that white ring around the culet for this stone (
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/100-200cts/172ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-1/ )? Is it leakage?
2. I am also looking at this one (http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-11ct-old-european-cut-diamond-egl-j-vs1.html ). It looks pretty nice but I don't know how accurate / reliable the photos and videos are... any advice?
3. A general question: How should I evaluate OECs from only photos and videos, especially those that are uncerted and do not have ASET, etc? I do trust PS vendors such as Erica and Grace but it is a big purchase to make based on very little data :confused: :confused: with GOG it is easy because they provide a LOT of info on the stones. For JBG and LAD it seems there are only some photos and videos..

TIA for any feedback :angel:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like both of those. The faceting is pleasing on both of them, though they are very different from one another.

I think they are both going to be bright and pretty stones. I don't think the ring around the smaller one is leakage.

Where are you located?

Also if you want you can ask Grace to send or take both stones to Patrick Davis, he's in LA and he can do an evaluation for you. Run the diamond through it's paces and tell you what he thinks the EGL stones color is. And also do an ASET for you and send it to you.

Okay?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's both of them. These two pictures to me showed the faceting differences between them.

_21014.jpg

4_5_2.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1407136809|3725682 said:
I like both of those. The faceting is pleasing on both of them, though they are very different from one another.

I think they are both going to be bright and pretty stones. I don't think the ring around the smaller one is leakage.

Where are you located?

Also if you want you can ask Grace to send or take both stones to Patrick Davis, he's in LA and he can do an evaluation for you. Run the diamond through it's paces and tell you what he thinks the EGL stones color is. And also do an ASET for you and send it to you.

Okay?

Thanks so much for your advice, Gypsy. I didn't know that Grace can help you get ASETs for her stones. I'm in Asia so it's a little more complicated and expensive to ship stones back and forth, even though I do know Grace has a good return policy, so I'd rather get it right. :)

I wasn't sure about the white ring around the stone since it showed up both in the photos and videos. :( I think at some point I will just get one and have it shipped over to see it IRL, but since it's a large amount of funds to tie up in a purchase, plus with the international shipping component, I would like to try to make as educated a decision as I can.

Thanks again. :) :) I am also still considering GOG but it will take me a longer time to afford the size I want in a AVR. :naughty: :naughty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko, I like them both but prefer the K because it appears to be chunkier. I love those chubby OEC's!!! :love:

Good luck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 1.72 that is a beautiful stone. See if you can get Grace to make you a video of them both side by side that way you can see more clearly which one your eye prefers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1407154212|3725732 said:
Another vote for the 1.72 that is a beautiful stone. See if you can get Grace to make you a video of them both side by side that way you can see more clearly which one your eye prefers.

I would ask if she can do this too, that might be the clincher. Your own eyes are also an excellent tool to judge these diamonds, ASET image is very useful if you can get it but in the end, I think much of it comes down to your eyes and the faceting pattern which gives so much charm and personality to these old cuts.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1407160509|3725773 said:

I would ask if she can do this too, that might be the clincher. Your own eyes are also an excellent tool to judge these diamonds, ASET image is very useful if you can get it but in the end, I think much of it comes down to your eyes and the faceting pattern which gives so much charm and personality to these old cuts.

Thanks Lorelei. I think I will ask Grace to do that, and also to compare this stone too: (http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/100-200cts/196ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/)

The faceting on all 3 is very different but I like them all.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they're still available especially since I am traveling and can't make the purchase til the end of the month :o

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She does lay away. I would Lay away anything you want to buy. I know at least three other people who have asked me (privately) for my thoughts on those same stones. It is a very popular budget range.

Those are going to go and go quickly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1407194211|3726054 said:
Lorelei|1407160509|3725773 said:

Thanks Lorelei. I think I will ask Grace to do that, and also to compare this stone too: (http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/100-200cts/196ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/)

The faceting on all 3 is very different but I like them all.

They are all lovely, I would definitely consider layaway as these stones do sell quickly, that way you won't be disappointed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results