shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick opinion on Mahenge color

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I realize that I am horrible at seeing color in photos. Can one of you tell me if this looks like a good Mahenge color? I'm looking for something that screams Mahenge, not just "could maybe be Mahenge color."

r4192aa.jpg

r4192c.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
not mahenge.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's not neon'y enough, is it?

I have another one coming (in the search) that is sleepy. I kinda dig sleepy stones.

MULTICOLOUR.COM COLORED STONE IDENTIFICATION REPORT[1]_Page_1.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The first one looks like a garnet. The second one looks like it has a lot more potential!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I really think of two mahenge looks, but both of them have to do with "jump out at you" color.

There are the crystalline hot fuscia, reddish pink variety (chrono and mine, off the top of my head), and the hot pink with an orange-lavendar glow (like the multi-color stone you show). The hot fuscia are supposed to be the most sought after, but I personally like the silky one like you've shown.

The first stone isn't a true mahenge because it's saturation is low, and it has a lot of raspberry/purple to it. I doesn't look like it's plugged in, does it?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope, it doesn't.

Damn I wish I'd gotten into Mahenges 3 years ago when they were still decently priced.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Multicolor has a lot of nice examples, and the stone doesn't have to be big to have a lot of presence! If you halo it with white stones it can have a big impact!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Guys,
I'm kind of curious as well.
Does Mahenge refer to where a stone was mined?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1315351471|3011071 said:
Hi Guys,
David, in the proper sense, of course Mahenge is a specific town/mining region in Tanzania. So by that sense any piece of spinel mined there would be described as Mahenge spinel.

But like Kleenex/kleenex and Bandaid/bandaid have evolved from a brand name to a colloquial usage, much of the time here on PS we use mahenge to describe a specific color spinel. stpR or slpR with a tone 4-6 and a saturation of 4-6.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks uppy!

To be honest, I'm not an expert on "semi precious" gem stones.
I have had a lot of experience with Sapphires, but I would love to learn more about semi precious stones that are more esoteric like Spinel, a spessertite, chrome tourmaline....

So, in your opinion, it's possible a stone could be from that Mehenge, yet not have the color?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Upgradable|1315354340|3011123 said:
Rockdiamond|1315351471|3011071 said:
Hi Guys,
David, in the proper sense, of course Mahenge is a specific town/mining region in Tanzania. So by that sense any piece of spinel mined there would be described as Mahenge spinel.

But like Kleenex/kleenex and Bandaid/bandaid have evolved from a brand name to a colloquial usage, much of the time here on PS we use mahenge to describe a specific color spinel. stpR or slpR with a tone 4-6 and a saturation of 4-6.

Sorry- should have added this to my prior post...
stpR or slpR
What are those terms?

Tone 4-6
Saturation 4-6

What is the tone and saturation scale you are referring to.
And tia for the "gemstones for dummies" thing.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on dipping your toe into these waters, David! Gemstones are quite a different animal than diamonds, but they can be so much more intriguing!! Take a look at this document. It can help you with the color, tone, saturation scales (according to GIA colored stone grading).

http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Color_grading

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond,

Mahenge is a location in Morogoro region of Tanzania where spinels are found. The area for years has produced beautiful spinels in range of colors. Recently these pink/red stones have become popular. Mahenge is NOT a color, but a location.

Tone and saturation are often misused and confused. Tone refers to how light or dark a color is. This first image is a stone with the same color and level of saturation, but different tones.

Saturation refers to how pure the color is. Almost every stone has some secondary color that mutes or distracts from it. Saturation is normally expressed on a scale of 1 to 6 with 6 the highest or most pure color. This images shows a stone with the same color, but various levels of saturation.

Tone.png

Saturation.png

Saturation.png

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
David,

Mahenge is a locality. However, the term "Mahenge spinel" has been used to refer to the pink-Red material described above.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1315345351|3010991 said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It's not neon'y enough, is it?

I have another one coming (in the search) that is sleepy. I kinda dig sleepy stones.

So you are the one who bought that stone! I was looking at that one and another and chose the 1.5 carat due to it being a more calibrated size for setting. I think that is going to be a pretty stone. Please post pics when you get it. :)

I just got a purplish red spinel from Dana that was mined in Mahenge. Gorgeous stone but if someone asked me what it was I would say "Red spinel" vs. "Mahenge spinel". Still.....did I mention it was gorgeous? lol

After posting a reply to this thread that did not go through I was bad and bought the last Mahenge spinel in my price range (1-2 carats and under $500) from Multicolour that only had "red" as the color and no "slightly greyish" tone. I really need a Mahenge spinel intervenion.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks all!
Precision- thanks for that. the scales you used are all in the purple family ( on my monitor)
Is there a scale like that showing purple-pink transitions?

Cool chart uppy.
Interesting that in gemstones- and diamonds- pink and purple are so closely related- yet not so on the chart.
Pure pink is at the bottom of the chart- and purple about 20% of the way up the scale...

The Mehenge spinels I've seen seemed to go from purple to pink depending on how the light was hitting them.

It is certainly difficult (for me) to find the right words to describe these colors- I think the chart shows why. These are cool unique combinations of color.
there's no P in ROY G BIV

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1315361493|3011232 said:
Thanks all!
Precision- thanks for that. the scales you used are all in the purple family ( on my monitor)
Is there a scale like that showing purple-pink transitions?

Cool chart uppy.
Interesting that in gemstones- and diamonds- pink and purple are so closely related- yet not so on the chart.
Pure pink is at the bottom of the chart- and purple about 20% of the way up the scale...

The Mehenge spinels I've seen seemed to go from purple to pink depending on how the light was hitting them.

It is certainly difficult (for me) to find the right words to describe these colors- I think the chart shows why. These are cool unique combinations of color.
there's no P in ROY G BIV
Boy, you said it!! No linear color and clarity scales either.

If you're brave enough to hang around, we'll sure give you an education!!! :naughty:

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1315345274|3010988 said:
not mahenge.
Let's keep in mind there is a very wide range of color in Spinel from the Mahenge property. Not all are of the intense hot,hot,hot pink color. But the one noted early on in this thread can be verified as being from Mahenge due its unique inclusions.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone is questioning that the stone is from Mahenge, Tanzania, but rather whether it has that particular pinkish red color and neon glow that Mahenge spinels are famous for. For what my opinion is worth, it doesn't appear to on my monitor. That said, I LOVE the color, cutting, and luster! I'd take this over a neon pink/red stone any day!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Roger Dery|1315370178|3011343 said:
ForteKitty|1315345274|3010988 said:
not mahenge.
Let's keep in mind there is a very wide range of color in Spinel from the Mahenge property. Not all are of the intense hot,hot,hot pink color. But the one noted early on in this thread can be verified as being from Mahenge due its unique inclusions.
I'm so sorry if it seemed like I was doubting the origin of the stone. That was never my intention. And I have to say, I'm still really struggling because GOD I love the cut!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is wonderful but the stone is poorly saturated. Hopefully you will be more successful with the stone from Multicolor. It looks much more saturated from a picture, it will be interesting to see how it looks in real life.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is certainly every possibility that it is Mahenge spinel (mined in Mahenge) but it doesn't show that famous glow from the high saturation. It is, however, very well cut, and will be a dazzler. It is also rather purplish. Not sure where the orangish or brownish tones are from though; could be a reflection of something in the background.

The second stone from MC is well saturated, probably helped by the internal silk within. Looks very hot pink too. I hope it's not too sleepy or opaque IRL.

T

talamasca

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with the others. First one's pretty, but doesn't scream Mahenge (I have to keep correcting my pronunciation, since you asked kelpie the question). Second one's more like it. Let us know what you think IRL!

Hey wait, weren't you supposed to be cut off? :cheeky: Or maybe that was me, lol.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heehee - I am cut off! Can't ya tell!??! ;-)

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My wife took this photo this afternoon in Arusha as we were scouring for quality rough. We did not come away with as much truly nice rough as we had planned. But this Spinel shown here is typical of what we see from Mahenge. So as I noted earlier, there is a range of hue and tone.

MahengeSpinelRough1090.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I want that middle one in the front! MAHENGE DIBS!!!!!

Seriously, Roger. I just messaged you. :naughty:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sooo hard to find a prime red spinel from mahenge now. Unless you have lots of cash. The first one is a very pretty stone for a garnet. If it was priced like good mahenge then not so much. The second looks more sleeping than sleepy. If it is the stone I think it is it has been bought shipped and returned so many times it should come with frequent flier miles.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, I have this one coming too. I'm going to be in Mahenge Heaven.

MULTICOLOUR_YSP523aa[1]_Page_1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results