shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick help please: opinion on oval sapphire that I''d like to buy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

threestone

Rough_Rock
Well, in my three-stone ring quest, I think I''m going to set the sapphire in the middle. I''m going to do an oval center and round diamond sides, because I adore my mom''s antique three-stone ring,which looks very similar to the one below. I''m still dealing with the "whether to use the brownish" stone thing, but I''m trying to focus on the sapphire right now.

I found this one, and I think it''s gorgeous. I''d just like a few quick opinions. I called Steven at NSC, and he said "It looks just like the picture--gorgeous."

Thoughts?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=B2348

291sd-300.jpg

threestone

Rough_Rock
Sorry--to clarify. The ring is a photo of the style I''m hoping to get (although in white gold), just for reference (i.e., how the sapphire will be set).

The actual sapphire is at the NSC link I provided.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert on sapphires but I love the color of that one. Lets see if some of the experts chime in there!

threestone

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

It''s precisely the size I need, too.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Then by all means go for it if no one chimes in soon. I would hate for you to lose it. I think that when your ring is done it will be beautiful. What happen to the pictures of the diamond you were going to post?? Did you decided to use that diamond or get two more completely different ones???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the color is amazing. I''m not at ALL an expert on colored stones, but I can tell you I''d pull the trigger as NSC has good policies.

threestone

Rough_Rock
Okay Gypsy and Wen104, I bought it! I talked to Steven at NSC and purchased for Saturday delivery. Wahoo!

I''m such a waffler, I can''t believe I bought it. But I saw it and though, "WOW!!"

Wen104--I''ll post those diamond photos as soon as I can get decent pictures.

I swear, it doesn''t look ''brown'' to me. I''ll admit that it''s not really "sparkly" though, and I''m not sure why. My sister has a similar diamond in an enagement ring, and you can definitely see the difference in the sparkle. It''s pretty, just not sparkly. But, I dunno whether two "nonspaklies" next to my pretty pretty blue will make it look less pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are getting an oval center sapphire and 2 round side diamonds? The sapphire in the picture is a cushion with 2 round sidestones set to look like cushions to match the center stone. What is the dimension (mm measurement) of your diamond again? I know you posted it previously but I don't remember.

The colour of the NSC sapphire is nice but the stone appears shallow in the middle picture, hence the window in the stone. A small window will not be noticeable once the stone is set but this window looks medium sized. Not sure if it'll be noticeable when set.

threestone

Rough_Rock

Hi, all,

Well, what a nutty weekend it''s been.

Chrono--I kinda worried when I saw your comment about the window. I swear, I can never see those darn things, so I figured I just wouldn''t be able to tell when I got the sapphire.

Well, boy howdy, I sure could! When it came in the mail on Saturday, I could see straight through it to the white background of the box. In addition, the color wasn''t nearly as bright and "electric" as it was in the photo. So, I''m sending it back today. Steven at NSC has been great, though. I don''t think it was misrepresented at all--photos are just different than seeing something in person.

In the mean time, as I was struggling trying to find a Victorian style of three-stone ring incorporating a sapphire, my fiance and I went into a local B&M family store and showed them a photo of the London company ring (above) and asked if they could make something like it. The guy immediately pulled out a Charles Green three-stone ring (although in diamonds, with no sapphires), and the setting was almost identical, although in platinum, which is what I want. Actually, it''s 7 stones.

Here''s a link to it:

http://www.charles-green.co.uk/shop/product_details.php?cat_id=60&product_id=931&page=1&max_results=9

and a photo of it.

So, we''re going to get it as my engagement ring and then go the larger three-stone route (must have blue!) for the wedding ring, I think. The company does make a sapphire version of it, but it has three sapphires and teeny diamonds in between, and I wanted a bit more sparkly in there (i.e., sapphire with larger diamonds on the side).

I traded in a diamond necklace and ended up paying $700 for the $2700 ring, which leaves me that much more for my wedding band.

EringCG.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3stone,
I''m sorry it didn''t work out. Well, at least you know for sure now that the sapphire isn''t for you. As you can see, it is difficult to judge gemstones just by a few pictures even when the honest vendor tries his best. I''m hope you''ll find THE one soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results