shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick! Help! Gray/silver gemstones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. I''ve been debating getting a silver or gray gemstone for a while now and I think I''ve come up with two reasonable choices and I need opinions.

Silver Topaz

Gray Spinel

I''m going to make a decision today because I''ve been considering this for over a month now, and I want to act quickly before I change my mind again.

The Spinel''s cut is kind of wonky, and that''s probably what has kept me from ordering it already. But I found this lovely Topaz on ACS.com the other day and Barbara''s description of it sounds lovely. But she doesn''t have any other pictures.

Any suggestions? Comments? Questions?

tickintime

Rough_Rock
I like the silver topaz as it shows a silvery blue, whereas the gray seems less colorful.

Does the size play a role in your decision? There is a huge difference
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know. The topaz is more than twice the size of the spinel...

Topaz:
7.41ct
10.2 x 12.2

Spinel:
3.32ct
7.7 x 10.3

So yes a very sizeable difference. Thanks tikintime for answering. :)

This is what Barbara says:
"I can tell you that the stone is not really grey or silver,
but basically colorless -- it has a slight grey tone and the flash is
somewhat metallic, hence my naming of it."

and

"Shooting against a photo-grey background has it''s pros and cons. It
gives me uniformity that allows comparison from stone to stone, but in
some lighter toned stones, they can look greyer/darker than they are.
Mostly that is reflection."

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
39 views and two responses...and one was me.

C''mon guys, even if it''s negative, I can take it! And I know how opinionated all of you are!

And it''s not for anything special, perhaps a pendant or something down the road. Basically whatever strikes my fancy.

Pieface

Shiny_Rock
Just on the pictures the topaz looks more attractive IMO.

I think I would pass on the spinel because of the cut. The pavilion looks pretty skewed and it is carrying a lot of weight there. You could possibly get it recut but that would most likely cost you more than the stone.

Do you know how you want to use the stone yet? That might help people aid you a bit more.

Cheers
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t like the spinel at all. shallow and fat. i''d trust barbara. if you don''t like the stone she''s got, maybe she can find one for you.

movie zombie

ps if you don''t grab that one from her real quick, i''m tempted!

eac

Shiny_Rock
As pretty as these stones are....if you aren''t planning to do anything with in in the next 6 months, I wouldn''t buy it. Especially if you are on a budget.

I have a 4-carat garnet I''ve been Meaning To Do Something with for about five years, and it''s such a reproach every time I open my jewel box. I''ve learned more about stones since I''ve acquired it, and I know now that its quality isn''t as good as it could be.

I bought a small emerald on Monday from a local gemologist, but in a week, that is going off to a jeweler to be part of a piece I''m ordering. I waited until I had all the money in place for both the stone and the piece before taking the plunge.

If you''re on a budget and looking for silvery/grey stones, what about moonstone or labradorite? I''m a big moonstone fan.

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 8:17:51 PM
Author: Pieface
Just on the pictures the topaz looks more attractive IMO.

I think I would pass on the spinel because of the cut. The pavilion looks pretty skewed and it is carrying a lot of weight there. You could possibly get it recut but that would most likely cost you more than the stone.

Do you know how you want to use the stone yet? That might help people aid you a bit more.

Cheers
1.gif

I was hoping that the pic was a weird angle, I noticed this as well

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 8:36:43 PM
Author: movie zombie
don''t like the spinel at all. shallow and fat. i''d trust barbara. if you don''t like the stone she''s got, maybe she can find one for you.

movie zombie

ps if you don''t grab that one from her real quick, i''m tempted!

Rock, Paper, Scissors? Winner gets the stone?
31.gif
9.gif
3.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I got some responses!

Thank you to everyone for confirming my somewhat uneducated fears about the spinel. I liked the depth of the color most, but that middle image with the scary cut was haunting me and preventing me from spending the $$$.

Pieface-I think I''ll probably end up putting it into a pendant. My initial thoughts are always towards rings because I love them so, but I''m waiting for an e-ring and I don''t want the size of this sucker to show up that ering stone. Even as a RHR. So when I get it, I''ll try to figure it out then.
31.gif

movie zombie- Barbara seems like a really nice lady. I''m thinking that I might have BF use her to look for ering stones, because I''m starting to think that I''m going to be really picky.
20.gif

eac- Well, I don''t have plans for it within the next 6 months, but thats only because I don''t have money for a setting within the next 6 months. I''m thinking that perhaps BF might help pay to set the thing for Christmas, or perhaps my parents. But trust me, if I had the financial means (and I actually do, but feel as though my tax return can buy one gem and a lot of groceries) I''d have all kinds of plans and need help narrowing it down. I love moonstone and hope to have a piece of it someday, but I''m really looking for a faceted gemstone at the moment because I''m all about sparkles. Once I''m in a shimmery kind of mood, I''ll start looking for a gorgeous moonstone and enlist everyone''s help then.
28.gif

tickintime- The first time I saw the spinel I hoped it was the weird angle too, but that''s really what kept me from buying it-seriously, I''ve been looking at that stone for almost 2 months now, but something was holding me back. And that something is pretty obvious to you PSers. I thought about the re-cut, but I''m sure it''d cost as much if not more than the stone, and that''s really not in the budget at the moment.
4.gif

So I decided on a stone, thanks to you guys, and hopefully the TOPAZ will be here within a few days. Thanks for putting up with my crazy antics and I''ll make sure to take pics when I get it-beware the crappy camera in advance though!
32.gif

Sorry MZ. Didn''t mean to steal it out from under you.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, i''d have been stealing it out from you.......

movie zombie

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the silver topaz looks really interesting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You got me MZ. Too true. Hopefully it turns out pretty great.

And I hope it''s as interesting in real life diamondfan. But I''m a big fan of topaz in general so I''m not too worried.

(Did anyone see that Electric Blue Topaz on ACS? That color totally reminds me of Catmom''s ring. I lust after it. Or something that is that same color!)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it could be really cool. How are you planning on setting it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking probably a pendant, but I want to get it in my mitts before I decide on anything too concrete. Definitely white metal. Maybe something unusual. I''d love it if anyone has any suggestions!

For reference I love Catmom''s Aquamarine necklace (who doesn''t?) and another blue pear drop pendant with diamonds that I saw in a thread-who knows where, but obviously this is an oval so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyone think its too small for a pendant?

Basically, something interesting that enhances the stone, without any accent stones. Any ideas?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun project! Can''t wait to see what you do with it. I would be tempted to do a RHR so I could look at it more!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got it and it''s AMAZING!!! I''ll post pics after I eat lunch (its 4:30 and I haven''t eaten yet today!)!!!

I''m so excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results