shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions Regarding Tiffany''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hammyhammy

Rough_Rock
I found this site to be very useful and informational. Thanks!

Just have a few questions regarding Tiffany''s. I know they have a high markup, however I know my girlfriend would be really happy if she gets an engagement ring from Tiffany''s. If anyone can help with my questions that would be great:

We live in California and went to Tiffany''s to browse. When we asked if there''s a Tiffany''s in Oregon, the salesperson said yes, but that we would need to be "residents". Is this true or is she brushing us off? Tax here is 8.25%, on $20K+ purchase we can save over $1,600 if we shop in Oregon...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
There is a Tiffany in Portland. Our store is located in Roseburg, Oregon and there is nothing that requires us to verify the residence of a person when they buy anything... This is why lots of farmers drive up from California to buy their tractors in Oregon... And their building supplies... And their major appliances... We're the land of no sales tax! Certainly worth the flight into Portland or you can drive up... The drive up from California is absolutely gorgeous at this time of year, everything is turning green and the trees are just beginning to bloom... Drive up the coast if you get a chance, it's not like California, but it's wonderful in it's own way!

hammyhammy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your answer! I'm just wondering why that Tiffany saleswoman said what she said...In any case, we'll give Portland a visit, since we've never been there anyway.
loopy.gif

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Was it the Tiffany's in South Coast Plaza? Maybe you were brushed off because it's a breeding ground for snobs (not that I haven't shopped there)
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/5/2003 2:55:38 PM hammyhammy wrote:

Thanks for your answer! I'm just wondering why that Tiffany saleswoman said what she said...In any case, we'll give Portland a visit, since we've never been there anyway.

loopy.gif

----------------
Probably because she doesn't make any commission $$$ if you buy the ring from the Portland Store
2.gif

Portland is beautiful! We almost moved there but we didn't want to give Ray at Tradeshop.com a heart attack by moving into his backyard...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
WOW!

Ok, everyone from Washington shops here in Portland because they don't have to pay sales tax.

So if you want to saunter down to Tiffany's on the corner of 4th & Yamhill at Pioneer Place, you can pop in there, pick out your bauble, hand them your debit card, or cash if you are feeling "mafioso" and walk out without the tax gauge.

Technically, I believe you are supposed to report that on your income tax, so you never know...but who doesn't dance in the gray area with the IRS?

When I lived in WA, I used to go to Nordstrom downtown because I didn't have to pay sales tax. So unless Tiffany became the government, I don't think you'll have to deal with them.

Now if you are not going to be physically in Oregon (i.e. calling store and having them ship to you) they are required to charge you sales tax applicable in your state by law. That whole "interstate mail" scenario. If it crosses state line, it becomes a whole new ballgame.

Hope that helps.

P.S...the Tiffany's here is lovely. :)

hammyhammy

Rough_Rock
Just a minor thing...when we had bought a ring at Tiffany's last year and had to resize it, they asked for our address. So I'm wondering if they'll charge us tax based on our CA address when we go buy a ring this time and need to resize it. This seems to be a lot of work but I'd like to save some money while keeping my girl happy with the lil blue box...

Anyhow, we will definitely take a trip up to Portland and we'll see. Thanks for all the replies!
wavey.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
On the sales tax issue:

http://professionaljeweler.com/archives/news/2003/030603story.html

Might do to tread with some care...

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
On the weather,

We have 40 cms of snow outside...and temperatures are going down
down down.......hmmmm... not like in California
sad.gif

Trichrome.

G Weldon

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I went through this whole tax issue. Unless you are having the ring sent to an address where there is no Tiffany store, I believe you have to pay the tax. At least that is what the sales guy told us anyway. Hmmm. I'd like to know if that is not the case. That's a substantial savings!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
With all due respect, do you see that this post is a YEAR AND HALF OLD?

I realize a bunch of you are new here and may not be familiar with the format.

Please be conscious of the age of posts...it's really not helpful to reply to posts that have been inactive for months.

It's fairly easy to identify - the date of the posts are right on the bottom of the window for each post.

Thanks in advance, and welcome to PS.
9.gif

G Weldon

Rough_Rock
I was kind of curious as to what happened with the tax issue. Also, if I were to start a new post regarding this topic, people would probably direct me to this post.. I think it's better to keep all info regarding one topic in one place, but that's just me. I'll look at the dates next time.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe see if Tiffanys has a store in a state that doesn't have sales tax, like Delaware? Not sure if they have such a store tho... if you can afford to shop at T's, you may have to be able to afford the sales tax too...
12.gif

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
I don't want to make anyone grumpy about continuing the discussion on an old thread, but I thought it'd be the best place to try answer the question.

Most states have an excise tax, a "use" tax of sorts, for products they cannot collect sales tax on. If you live in California, for example, and you buy something in another state, you are supposed to declare the purchase (if you use it in Cali) and pay an exise tax in California. It may vary from state to state, but I am pretty sure you are supposed to pay it even if you paid another state's sales tax with the purchase. That being said, most people ignore this rule and most state taxing authorities don't enforce it (like most people don't total all birthday, xmas, etc. presents given to another individual during the year and pay any applicable gift taxes).

I believe what your sales person told you is technically true. If a retailer in another state (with a presence in your state) mails your item to your home state, they are supposed to collect sales tax on it. In high school, I worked for a department store and that was our rule. If you buy it in a state without sales tax (e.g. New Hampshire), and DON'T have it shipped, you won't be charged the sales tax. But since you've given them a good enough reason to assume you'll be using the product in another state, they're supposed to collect and remit the home state's tax. I should emphasize that in the tax laws there is a fairly large difference between what you "should" do and what is usually done--so not all retailers follow this rule. But they are supposed to...

(Random aside--According to some old CPA review questions I used while studying for the exam a few years ago, you are supposed to pay gift taxes on engagement rings, if they exceed $11,000 or whatever the limit is, unless you are married in the same year the ring is given, in which case you are covered by unlimited marital transfers. I didn't think that was true, but I would imagine the AICPA knows better than I do...)

This has been an issue with a lot of large retailers (J. Crew, The Gap and the like) who have big online presences. To avoid charging sales tax, the online arm of the corp had been set up as a separate company that only would have a presence in one or two states. So unless you lived there, the company wouldn't collect and you were responsible for declaring things for any applicable excise taxes. However, people then technically couldn't return items to the physical stores because they were different corporations. A lot of this has changed and most online retailers just charge sales tax and then you can return stuff to the store.

Okay, more information than y'all needed and sorry about continuing the old thread....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results