shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions regarding colored stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Hello hello - I am a HUGE fan of colored stones and would absolutely love some new pieces. The only jewelry I really have at this point is white gold pieces (other than my ering and wbands). I also have a few pieces from when I was younger, amethyst mostly, since that''s my birthstone - but none in settings that I like, so I''m going to have some things reset. I would also like to add some blue jewelry to my options (meaning jewelry box) - but I am having such a difficult time understanding how to select colored stones, how to look at the various types of stones, etc.

Does anyone have some good resources to help a total colored gem newb get some knowledge under her belt to help point her hubby in the right direction... christmas is right around the corner, and I''d love it if Santa would bring some blue down the chimney with him this year ;-)

Thanks in advance for any advice and links to knowledge building information!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
There's a great article that has helped me out a lot in the PS "Knowledge" section (menu above):
Wink Jones' guide to colored stones.

There's also been several helpful threads on buying sapphires in particular, which you can search for. Here's one I had bookmarked: Crash course in sapphires. There's a bunch of useful links in various of the posts.

Other blue gemstones, in order of decreasing hardness are:
Spinel
Topaz
Aquamarine
Tourmaline
Tanzanite
Zircon

Then of course, there's blue diamonds...

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the info!!

Ahh... blue diamonds *swoon* yes yes, I''d love one - it''s on our "let''s save for it" list. So, hopefully some day :)

CeylonBlue

Rough_Rock
I have 2 beautiful Ceylon Blue sapphires 3.14ct and 2.46ct with certificates. Im thinking of taking them to Hockley to sell........ the bigger of the two is worth £3000 minimum. Anyhow if anyone can offer me advice you can contact me on O 7 8 9 5 8 5 4 4 5 7. Thanks

DanaReynolds

Rough_Rock
Hello;

There are many blue gem minerals on the market; the natural ones are the only ones I deal with as I am a collector.
Blue Kyanite from Nepal is a lovely blue gem that is not highly priced, blue or indicolite tourmalines come in many hues of blue, sapphire of course in many hues also. good aquamarine in the santa maria or the Mozambigue santa-maria africana, can be a little pricey but very nice, blue spinel from africa, sri lanka, and burma are nice gems and I feel they are sleepers as in the past many people thought all spinels were manmade, blue zircon from Vietnam is also nice and many hues also.

Always ask what if any treatments have been done to the gem and also ask if it is a natural one; sometimes you have to ask...

Those are just a few blue gem minerals and just shop around there are many different price levels. But I hope you enjoy your search; that is half the fun or maybe a 1/4
2.gif
just look for a well cut and pleasing to the eye gemstone.

Most Respectfully;

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results