shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions re. half-eternity band resizing

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I recently bought my wedding band, and it's a very thin half-eternity channel-set with round diamonds (18K white gold). The one in the display was a size 6.5, and I'm a 4.5. Now, I realize that I am partly to blame for my ignorance, but I didn't realize that resizing would be an issue, and the jewelers also didn't warn me. They had the ring resized for me, but it's no longer a perfect circle. It's quite uneven in shape and thickness. You obviously can't tell when I'm wearing it, or even if someone just quickly looks at it, but it's bothering me. I went back to the jeweler the day after, and they didn't seem to understand why I have a problem with it. I said I wanted the same ring, but ordered in my size. They said the price would be much higher. However, they did offer to give me a refund. I chose to leave and think about it. I was in the middle of a move, tight on money lately, and I also had a really hard time finding this ring to match my e-ring, so I'm a little reluctant to go look for another one. However, it's now almost a month later, and it's still bothering me. My wedding isn't until November. If it makes a difference, I bought it at the Jewelery Exchange across from the Eaton Centre in Toronto (I won't disclose the specific vendor in the public forum).

I have a few questions for you guys - Is it normal for a ring to be uneven after resizing? Is it generally accepted, or is it unacceptable? Can it be fixed still? What do you guys think I should do?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
This doesn't seem right to me. Not sure why resizing a half eternity couldn't be done perfectly. Perhaps ask around at other jewelers to get their opinions. If they confirm, I'd go back to the initial jeweler and demand they fix!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a half eternity band that was re-sized from 6.5 to 4.5 too and the half without the diamonds is not the same "circle" as the side with the diamonds. I don't know how long you've had your band (or whether you've worn it) but you might run into another issue. The non-circle didn't bother me as much because my band is not a wedding ring but the pave diamonds kept popping out because of the re-size. Not sure if your band is pave set, shared prongs or channel set. I would imagine anything other than channel set would run into this problem because when the ring is sized down that much, the prongs are bent out of shape causing the melee to pop out. I am not sure if this is normal either but that was the explanation my jeweler provided me. I was not very happy with it but I like my jeweler so I decided to let it go.

With that said I would probably just return it and get one in your size and pay the difference. I don't think there's a way to fix the original ring when it was made in another size two sizes bigger than your ring size.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id take a refund and go elsewhere.

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll go back and talk to them again. I just don't want to deal with it, too much going on in life right now :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results