shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on which diamond to go with.

ajaxthe3rd

Rough_Rock
I had bought this diamond from James allen and then after the fact asked if an idealscope can be done(just placed the order yesterday). Through the online chat they said it could be done but will take another week to get the ring to me. I said ok. Not too much longer I got an email saying that the cut isn't the best and that I should look at this other diamond that it would be better. According to the HCA, the first should be a lot better than the second. Anyone have any thoughts?

The first that I bought

This 0.70 Carat Round diamond I Color VS1 Clarity has Very Good proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA
Shape: Round
carat weight: 0.70
color: I
clarity: VS1
cut: Very Good
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium
l/w/d (mm): 5.58*5.59*3.55
l/w ratio: 1.00
depth %: 63.60
girdle: Medium - Thick
table %: 55.00
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 37.00
crown %: 17.00
pavilion ∠: 40.00
pavilion %: 42.00

And the one they recommended

This 0.71 Carat Round diamond I Color VS2 Clarity has Excellent proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA
Shape: Round
carat weight: 0.71
color: I
clarity: VS2
cut: Excellent
polish: Excellent
symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
l/w/d (mm): 5.71*5.73*3.56
l/w ratio: 1.00
depth %: 62.20
girdle: Medium
table %: 57.00
culet: None
certificate: GIA
crown ∠: 36.00

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you post the links and the pavilion for diamond number 2

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't particularly recommend either.

The one they are recommending is steep deep, with uncomplimentary angles (likely to have leakage on idealscope)

The one you picked out could theoretically be a nice diamond (fiery ideal cut) but is a risky purchase. The video link of the one you purchased would have been useful to assess the symmetry. It is also very deeply cut so will not face up like a 0.7, and will look smaller, making it not the best spread/dollar. Often the very good diamonds are not well cut. Try to stick to HCA Excellent AND GIA Excellent. AGS 000 would be fine without HCA assessment.

Generally these are the numbers on the certificate you should aim to be within for a traditional ideal cut diamond.

Table: 54-58
Crown: 34-35 (35.5 with 40.6 pavilion, even 36 with 40.6 but scopes are needed to verify)
Pavilion: 40.6 - 40.8 (41 is OK with 34 crown)
depth: 59.5 - 62.3.

If you give us specs and budget people can help you finding a nice diamond within your budget. Personally I'd get a refund and start again.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're both terrible (sorry, but true!). The one you chose has all sorts of issues - only a VG cut by GIA which isn't VG at all, very deep so it's facing up a lot smaller for its weight, pavilion angle is way too shallow and would be prone to chipping, the crown angle is also way too high. The one JA recommend isn't much better - the depth is within range, but the pavilion and crown angles have the same issues as the stone you chose.

Could you please post your budget so we could help you?
ETA: took a quick look and this is a great option if your budget is ~$2100 (just ask if the inclusion has any transparency issues) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2244532

ajaxthe3rd

Rough_Rock
The diamond I originally bought came in at a .9 on the Holloway Cut Advisor which I thought was pretty good. The size isn't as much of a concern vs fiery. Definitely want fiery :)

I trying to stay under $2600 and around the .7 size if possible(can vary if a killer stone is available). Also would like to stay with James Allen due to financing.

Thanks

ajaxthe3rd

Rough_Rock
I asked via their chat with this response . possible_new_stone.jpg

E-W-johnson

Rough_Rock
I agree with the previous post you can get a better diamond cut. If you drop to si1 it will help you save money. The one that has a depth over 63 is to deep and the other one is pushing it.

ajaxthe3rd

Rough_Rock
ac117|1479929694|4101972 said:

I would like to stay with James Allen due to he financing and already having the setting picked out through them. That middle one looks interesting.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vs1 or vs2 are the better choices since JA can't give you a straight answer on whether the cloud in the si1 is actually an issue. Can they get you an IS of the vs2?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results