shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on Education

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoching

Rough_Rock
Hi im new here and i''m just wondering what courses i should take for college.
I really want to persuit my career in Jewellery Design
However, i am trying to decide whether i should take a diploma on Jewellery design at VCC, or Canadian Gemmological Association Diploma
(also at VCC), or just take a course at GIA.

Or even take a Art + design degree at Alberta college of art and design.

and is there a big difference between GIA, and CGA? because i haven''t heard of CGA before, but i have read from their website that it is a international recognize in this field.

Thanks!!

gulliverseyes

Rough_Rock
I don''t know the answers, but I think there are different sides of the industry. I was working with a tech last week for a resize and was surprised when he told me that he doesn''t know all that much about diamonds. Well, he works on the settings, he doesn''t sell the diamonds, so it makes sense.

I think you should start designing settings on your own as a hobby and learn about diamonds as a reseller with an education. Really, you can go to school all you want, but you can only learn art by doing. If you can find a successful designer to guide you, that''s the best. Taking basic design classes will be needed as all art has a history and foundation, but the end results will far out way a degree. Just my 2 cents from a technology salesman who is also a musician and song writer.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you artistic ability is very good, then stress design. If your manual skills are best, then work with the metal and tools. If you are gifted intellectually, then get a BS in design and art history before getting too serious about work.

During the time you are in school, get a par time job at a jewelry retailer to learn how it is working in the trenches. You will know more about consumers than you would siting at a bench or drawing designs. After you do this work for two or three years, you can then pursue your real love. If you are a smart student, take the GIA correspondence course and get your GG during your early years. You''ll know a lot more than most designers or bench guys.

It will take you about 5 to 10 years to develop enough skill and knowledge to see daylight, so be patient.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The CGA is a good group (Canadian Gemmological Association) and they offer an excellent program. I was a member for many years and I highly recommend them. The program I’m most familiar with is a technical gemology program that has little or nothing to do with matters of design. It’s about identifying gemstones, learning what the differences between the stones are, learning to grade them etc. and it results in a diploma called FCGmA. This credential is well regarded inside Canada but little known overseas. It also serves as a stepping stone for the first part of the FGA program from Gem-A (Gemmological Association of Great Britain), for which VCC is a teaching center. This is a highly regarded credential on par with the GIA-GG.

I agree with David that if you want to get into design, some bench experience will be extremely useful. Take some classes at VCC on the technical, dirty fingers part of the business and see how it suits you. My guess is that they’re prerequisites to the Jewellery design program anyway. As a good designer you simply have to have a good grasp on how things are put together to know what designs work and which don’t. I also agree that a part time job in the trenches will be helpful and, if you’re good at it, will both help pay for school and give you a start on contacts for the future.

Beyond that, don''t get too hung up on what classes to start in. You''ll be amazed what you can learn in classes that you never thought related. Take some things that interest you. Architecture, Archeology, History, Sculpture, even Math and Literature can turnout to be very applicable.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MrYoung

Rough_Rock
I cant add much to the already great recommendations.......

The GIA design program is great for teaching you the basics of how to watercolor render designs. Working on the bench will teach you HOW things are put together.

Going to design school, however, will teach you how to develop your artistic talent- anyone can water color a design, but it takes a developed sense of design to be able to truely make something unique. Try the Rhode Island School of Design.

You may also want to contact the International Society of Appraisers and take one of thier three day "antique and period jewelry" classes. This can give you a background of construction techniques as well as era specific design. Christie Romero teaches these classes out of:

http://www.center4jewelrystudies.org/about.html

I would learn the basic construction first. the Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts is one of the best places to learn:

www.revereacademy.com

As David said, patience is key.

Good Luck.

hoching

Rough_Rock
Wow.. thanks for all the great recommendations!! i will probrably try to get a BS at Alberta for Fine arts on Jewellery Design... and also get a GIA certificate of somehwat.. not sure yet:| but thanks for taking time and answering my questions!!!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 9:43:57 AM
Author: MrYoung
I cant add much to the already great recommendations.......

The GIA design program is great for teaching you the basics of how to watercolor render designs. Working on the bench will teach you HOW things are put together.

Going to design school, however, will teach you how to develop your artistic talent- anyone can water color a design, but it takes a developed sense of design to be able to truely make something unique. Try the Rhode Island School of Design.

You may also want to contact the International Society of Appraisers and take one of thier three day ''antique and period jewelry'' classes. This can give you a background of construction techniques as well as era specific design. Christie Romero teaches these classes out of:

http://www.center4jewelrystudies.org/about.html

I would learn the basic construction first. the Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts is one of the best places to learn:

www.revereacademy.com

As David said, patience is key.

Good Luck.
Kennon, I just wanted to take a quick second hi-jack and welcome you to Pricescope!
36.gif

It''s always nice to see more tradespeople offering insight, and we all benefit from it. Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2008 5:02:47 PM
Author: hoching
Wow.. thanks for all the great recommendations!! i will probrably try to get a BS at Alberta for Fine arts on Jewellery Design... and also get a GIA certificate of somehwat.. not sure yet:| but thanks for taking time and answering my questions!!!
HI:

My closest friends daughter went to Alberta College of Art and Design (and later to Emily Carr in B.C) and part of her course work included jewellery design. Also, she apprenticed at a well known jeweller in town to supplement her coursework with practical skills in benchwork and design.

cheers--Sharon

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm doing the FGA correspondence course - it's more slightly more technical than the GIA, which is more retail orientated (or so I have been told).

It's also considerably cheaper than the GIA (and very well considered internationally). You can take all the exams in Canada. You get a personal tutor and have to do homework - bit of a shock to the system for me after so many years! There are 2 parts: the Foundation and the Diploma. You have a minimum of 9 months and max of 2 years to do each part. Exams are in January and in June each year. You can find more details here: http://www.gem-a.info/

I did my BA hons in Textile Design - which was a very versatile course and many of us went on to work in jewellery design, ceramics etc as well as textiles. It was great for drawing skills.

I spent 2 years working for a major gold manufacturer - mainly at the QVC type level. Which was great for learning mass manufacturing techniques and marketing.

I spent hours down in the factory watching the benchmen - and having a go occasionally. Although I did get banned from using the industrial superglue after sticking two fingers together with a gold dolphin on top!
31.gif
I also learnt how to handcarve wax models.

I got to go to loads of the big european gem and gold fairs which were fascinating and you learn so much just going and talking to people on different stands - they were all so kind to me and let me play with the pieces! Most of them were trade only, so there was no pressure to buy anything and they didn't worry you'd do a runner with their 10ct diamonds!

The company needed a diamond and stone buyer and asked me to do it (mainly because I speak English and German and the dealers were all in Antwerp.) I had no experience or knowledge other than having read a few gem books - so I learnt on the job (and bought some very technical books to help!). I was very fortunate to be taken under the wing of some wonderful people in Antwerp who enjoyed teaching me what they could everytime I was there - I got to see some of the diamond factories and watch the cutters at work which was a really amazing experience.)

I really recommend giving up as much of your time as possible to gain hands on experience. I spent many of my holidays at college and while I was working full-time, working for people for free just to get more experience and contacts. It really pays off later and you never know you may get a job with one of them - I did!

The main thing I have learnt so far is that every time you think you've learnt a lot, you realise how much there is still to learn!

Best of luck with all your studies!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results