shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on 8-10ct tanzanite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My South African colleague offered to help get me an 8-10 ct tanzanite.

Apparently, they're much cheaper over there, since they're mined there.

So, my questions are:

1) how much would such a stone be likely to go for - ball park figure?

2) I think I prefer the deeper bluer variety, rather than the violet one. Are deep blue tanzanites more valuable/ pricey?

3) what is the best shape, in order to get a more saturated colour in the stone? I'm thinking cushion.

I would have it set into a delicate diamond halo setting, maybe a Leon (not sure if the tanzanite would be worth the money to be spent on a Leon) like this, which I *LOVE*

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=183

Thank you.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Leon has a tanzanite ring on his site in case you haven''t seen it!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2009 11:51:58 PM
Author:Phoenix

Apparently, they''re much cheaper over there, since they''re mined there.

So, my questions are:

2) I think I prefer the deeper bluer variety, rather than the violet one. Are deep blue tanzanites more valuable/ pricey?

3) what is the best shape, in order to get a more saturated colour in the stone? I''m thinking cushion.

I would have it set into a delicate diamond halo setting, maybe a Leon (not sure if the tanzanite would be worth the money to be spent on a Leon) like this, which I *LOVE*

Thank you.
Regarding question #1, why not asking your colleague, cause chances someone outside of South Africa knows their prices are pretty slim.

Regarding #2, the more blue they are, the more valuable they are.

Regarding #3, cushion is a good choice, princess cuts are also pretty deep, but tanzanites are rarely cut that way.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
you should consider a trillian-i have one & it really throws the light because of the cut & depth-my stone is a little over 9cts. & shows primary blue with purple flashes-also you get slight flashes of red under certain lights. its a soft stone so one usually puts it in pendents or carefully worn rings. retail value hovers @ 2000.00 per ct. for the good clean stuff.-my 2 cents...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You can end up paying more near the source than you will elsewhere. Local dealers make a fair penny off tourists who think they''re getting a deal because they are buying out there. If your friend is a gem dealer or even a gemmologist then fair enough, if not, then think very hard as you''ll be dropping a fair number of $$$$$ for a stone that size.

I wouldn''t buy a tanzanite except through a trusted dealer - there are coated stones on the market right now.

The colour you are after is one of the more expensive.

I wouldn''t set it in a ring either - better material for a pendant or earrings.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 4:27:15 AM
Author: Imdanny
Really ??!! Where? Can you pls provide me with the link?

I just
30.gif
Leon. He does such *amazingly* exquisite work!!

I know that he hasn''t created a good impression on/ good relationship with all PS''ers but the man is *THE* master artiste!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 4:47:27 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 1/12/2009 11:51:58 PM
Author:Phoenix

Apparently, they''re much cheaper over there, since they''re mined there.

So, my questions are:

3) what is the best shape, in order to get a more saturated colour in the stone? I''m thinking cushion.

Thank you.
Regarding question #1, why not asking your colleague, cause chances someone outside of South Africa knows their prices are pretty slim.

Regarding #2, the more blue they are, the more valuable they are.

Regarding #3, cushion is a good choice, princess cuts are also pretty deep, but tanzanites are rarely cut that way.

Thank you for your reply.

I wanted to check prices with someone independent. My colleague is not very informed on prices - diamonds or gemstones. All he knows is what his dealer tells him.

It''s good to know that I was on track abt the colour and shape.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 5:16:44 AM
Author: m76steve
you should consider a trillian-i have one & it really throws the light because of the cut & depth-my stone is a little over 9cts. & shows primary blue with purple flashes-also you get slight flashes of red under certain lights. its a soft stone so one usually puts it in pendents or carefully worn rings. retail value hovers @ 2000.00 per ct. for the good clean stuff.-my 2 cents...
Thank you for your reply and suggestion.

Your stone sounds awesome!! Do you have a link to it somewhere?

Hmmm...I must admit I did not know that tanzanites were soft. I am kind of disappointed to be honest. I am not really a pendant girl, more like a ring and earring girl.

It''s very helpful infor about the pricing. Thanks.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 5:48:51 AM
Author: Pandora II
You can end up paying more near the source than you will elsewhere. Local dealers make a fair penny off tourists who think they''re getting a deal because they are buying out there. If your friend is a gem dealer or even a gemmologist then fair enough, if not, then think very hard as you''ll be dropping a fair number of $$$$$ for a stone that size.

I wouldn''t buy a tanzanite except through a trusted dealer - there are coated stones on the market right now.

I wouldn''t set it in a ring either - better material for a pendant or earrings.
Thanks for your reply and helpful infor.

Hmmmm....that''s food for thought, isn''t it?! My colleague would be sourcing for it via his dealer, so I am not sure (?!).

When you say "coated", do you mean that it isn''t a stone''s real blue colour, but coated via some artificial mean which would wear off with time? Sorry, I am pretty clueless as far as coloured gem stones are concerned. What I do know though is that I *LOVE* really deep coloured stones, like yours (absolutely TDF, btw) and Harriet''s!!
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 7:34:19 AM
Author: Phoenix

Hmmm...I must admit I did not know that tanzanites were soft. I am kind of disappointed to be honest. I am not really a pendant girl, more like a ring and earring girl.

If you like earrings, definately think about a pair of tanzanites instead of one for a ring, cause they would survive much longer that way (by survive I mean, remain looking new). It''s one of the more fragile stones and a reputable jeweler will inform you that earrings, pendants and brooches are what these stones are really made for.

And to answer another one of your questions, yes, coated means what you''ve described. There are a number of treatments these days used to deceive buyers into paying for something worth much less than the asked price, so stick to the golden rule of gemstone buying - who you buy from is more important than what you buy. Make sure the dealer in question is a trustworthy individual and not an "aunt''s neighbour''s daughter''s friend who says he knows something about gems".

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For a loose stone (per carat) you should be looking at $450-500.

Collectors prefer the deep blue option but it''s really down to preference as there''s not really much in it from a price/value point of view.

As for saturation, I have all cuts and it really does depend on how good the cut is. There isn''t one that I''d favour over another although my least favourite is a trilliant (just because I''m not a fan of them, no other reason).

A good place to buy a very good quality Tanzanite is www.lapigems.com

Here are some of mine so you can see the different cuts / sizes and how they look:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 5:24:03 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Here are some of mine so you can see the different cuts / sizes and how they look:

Awesome collection LD. Thanks for sharing.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not that ruinous -- try $500+.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 7:32:30 AM

I wanted to check prices with someone independent. My colleague is not very informed on prices - diamonds or gemstones. All he knows is what his dealer tells him.

It's good to know that I was on track abt the colour and shape.
1.gif
Ouch. I'd stay away then. Who knows if his dealer is even legit?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 7:08:48 AM
Date: 1/13/2009 4:27:15 AM

Really ??!! Where? Can you pls provide me with the link?

I just
30.gif
Leon. He does such *amazingly* exquisite work!!

I know that he hasn''t created a good impression on/ good relationship with all PS''ers but the man is *THE* master artiste!!
I wish! I searched his site for 1/2 hr. last night. I was going to post the link. It''s set sideways with a diamond on the left and right. It''s huge. And yes, it''s beautiful.
3.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 7:39:40 AM

Date: 1/13/2009 5:48:51 AM
Author: Pandora II

Thanks for your reply and helpful infor.

Hmmmm....that''s food for thought, isn''t it?! My colleague would be sourcing for it via his dealer, so I am not sure (?!).

When you say ''coated'', do you mean that it isn''t a stone''s real blue colour, but coated via some artificial mean which would wear off with time? Sorry, I am pretty clueless as far as coloured gem stones are concerned. What I do know though is that I *LOVE* really deep coloured stones, like yours (absolutely TDF, btw) and Harriet''s!!
30.gif

My understanding is that it is only small stones (under 1ct) that, so far, have found to be coated. I know that two stones that have been submitted for evaluation recently in the UK and the poor buyer got a horrible shock.

There are some very interesting articles on the web about the coating and it can be easy to spot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to Pandora on them being too soft for a really nice ring. Get a smaller but excellent sapphire if you really want a fine blue gemstone ring that is durable.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 11:42:32 PM
Author: Harriet

It's good to know that I was on track abt the colour and shape.
1.gif
Ouch. I'd stay away then. Who knows if his dealer is even legit?
ditto Harriett, Sounds like asking for trouble if you ask me..

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 9:12:29 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 1/13/2009 7:34:19 AM

If you like earrings, definately think about a pair of tanzanites instead of one for a ring, cause they would survive much longer that way (by survive I mean, remain looking new). It''s one of the more fragile stones and a reputable jeweler will inform you that earrings, pendants and brooches are what these stones are really made for.

And to answer another one of your questions, yes, coated means what you''ve described. There are a number of treatments these days used to deceive buyers into paying for something worth much less than the asked price, so stick to the golden rule of gemstone buying - who you buy from is more important than what you buy. Make sure the dealer in question is a trustworthy individual and not an ''aunt''s neighbour''s daughter''s friend who says he knows something about gems''.
Thanks so much, appreciate your advice.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 5:24:03 PM

For a loose stone (per carat) you should be looking at $450-500.

Collectors prefer the deep blue option but it''s really down to preference as there''s not really much in it from a price/value point of view.

As for saturation, I have all cuts and it really does depend on how good the cut is. There isn''t one that I''d favour over another although my least favourite is a trilliant (just because I''m not a fan of them, no other reason).

A good place to buy a very good quality Tanzanite is www.lapigems.com

Thanks for your advice.

WOWZA, what an awesome collection!! Totally drool worthy!! Which one(s) is/ are your favourite(s)? They all look yummy to me.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

1.gif
Ouch. I''d stay away then. Who knows if his dealer is even legit?
Thanks, Harriet. I am sure you''re right.

I LOVE yr rings!! Did i say that already, he he?!. I''ll say it again!!
9.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-tanzanite.104668/

17.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix - thanks for your kind words. I don''t actually have a favourite amongst my tanzies. It depends on my mood.

Whilst I totally agree with others about Tanzanite being too soft for an e-ring, if you''re not hard on your rings and take precautions there''s no reason why it can''t be set into a ring for occasional wear. As you can see I have a number of rings and since I ruined one in the early days (about 8 years ago) by constant wear and neglect, I haven''t done that since and they all look like new!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW LD,
That''s an amazing collection. I also love the star cut (probably by the same cutter that does diopsides).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 4:04:10 AM

1.gif
Ouch. I''d stay away then. Who knows if his dealer is even legit?
Thanks, Harriet. I am sure you''re right.

I LOVE yr rings!! Did i say that already, he he?!. I''ll say it again!!
9.gif
Haha. I was thinking -- If you''re in touch with SimplySplendid, she''d be a great guide to the world of gems (she''s in the Lion City too).

Swala Gem Traders

Rough_Rock
Nice collection LD.

FYI, you will not find tanzanites which are coated in Tanzania. The tanzanites which are coated are done abroad.
Unfortunately however, a few years ago, quite a few synthetic forsterites where on the market, including in Tanzania...

A link to the AGTA press release earlier on this year:
http://www.agta-gtc.org/coated-tanzanite.htm

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 4:34:35 AM
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-tanzanite.104668/

17.gif
Thank you, Imdanny. That ring is seriously gorgeous!!
30.gif
. The colour of the stone is beautifully deep and the Leon setting, need I say anything?!
2.gif
1.gif
It's A LEON!!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 5:45:10 PM
Phoenix - thanks for your kind words. I don''t actually have a favourite amongst my tanzies. It depends on my mood.

Whilst I totally agree with others about Tanzanite being too soft for an e-ring, if you''re not hard on your rings and take precautions there''s no reason why it can''t be set into a ring for occasional wear. As you can see I have a number of rings and since I ruined one in the early days (about 8 years ago) by constant wear and neglect, I haven''t done that since and they all look like new!
You''re so lucky!!
9.gif
. They''re all beautiful
30.gif

Hhmmm..I thought I''d already decided not to go with a tanzanite as a ring, but am now re-thinking this whole ring thing!!
3.gif
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 7:08:50 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
WOW LD,
That''s an amazing collection. I also love the star cut (probably by the same cutter that does diopsides).
It''s a Wobito TL.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2009 3:54:32 AM
Author: Swala
Nice collection LD.

FYI, you will not find tanzanites which are coated in Tanzania. The tanzanites which are coated are done abroad.
Unfortunately however, a few years ago, quite a few synthetic forsterites where on the market, including in Tanzania...

A link to the AGTA press release earlier on this year:
http://www.agta-gtc.org/coated-tanzanite.htm
Hi Swala,

Thanks for your post and infor provided, very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results