shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions from a Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jnewbie

Rough_Rock
My login says it all. I''m a newbie looking for some advice with the first time purchase of a diamond. I''ve done some research online, and then went to visit a few shops in the LA jewelry mart; and then I did some more research online and checked out a couple mall stores like Tiffany''s. I have learned a lot of information from this forum and online. From what I''ve read, generally I''m going with Cut over Color and Color over Clarity. This is what I''ve settled on (I think):

1.2 carat, G, SI1, excellent cut = for about $6K

Here are my questions:

1. The only thing I have a hope of understanding is a GIA report. The best cut level on a GIA report is excellent yet I read about an ideal cut. How can you certify that a diamond is an "ideal" cut?

2. I know this is a broad question and is specific to the diamond but generally speaking, could you experts tell the difference between a VS2 and a SI1 from the naked eye without magnification? What about very good cut vs. excellent cut? I''m only concerned about a diamond being eye clean and I''m wondering if it would be worth the money to go from SI1 to VS2.

3. My girlfriend has small hands and I don''t know her ring size. I think maybe a size 5. I have spent this long struggling with what diamond so I''m not even going to bother with choosing a setting. I''m going with something simple like a thin band 6-prong with the expectation that it will be resized and likely returned and exchanged for something that she can choose later. Is it easier to resize a ring if it is too big or if it is too small? I''m wondering if I should go with my best guess (a size 5) or just getting something bigger knowing that it will have to be resized. Also, do you think it''s a good plan to just go with the most basic band with the expectation that it will be exchanged?

Any comments you have would be appreciated? Thanks very much in advance.

-- J

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 2:36:44 AM
Author:jnewbie
Here are my questions:

1. The only thing I have a hope of understanding is a GIA report. The best cut level on a GIA report is excellent yet I read about an ideal cut. How can you certify that a diamond is an ''ideal'' cut?
post the GIA cert.
2.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 2:36:44 AM
Author:jnewbie
My login says it all. I''m a newbie looking for some advice with the first time purchase of a diamond. I''ve done some research online, and then went to visit a few shops in the LA jewelry mart; and then I did some more research online and checked out a couple mall stores like Tiffany''s. I have learned a lot of information from this forum and online. From what I''ve read, generally I''m going with Cut over Color and Color over Clarity. This is what I''ve settled on (I think):

1.2 carat, G, SI1, excellent cut = for about $6K

Here are my questions:

1. The only thing I have a hope of understanding is a GIA report. The best cut level on a GIA report is excellent yet I read about an ideal cut. How can you certify that a diamond is an ''ideal'' cut? Honestly, the term ''ideal'' can be used in so many different ways, and have so many different meanings... unscrupulous jewellers know to make good use of those key words! "ideal" on here means excellent numbers and cherry proportions. The easy answer is GIA ex or AGS0, but there are variations within those grades, so going by the numbers and images really is the best way.

2. I know this is a broad question and is specific to the diamond but generally speaking, could you experts tell the difference between a VS2 and a SI1 from the naked eye without magnification? What about very good cut vs. excellent cut? I''m only concerned about a diamond being eye clean and I''m wondering if it would be worth the money to go from SI1 to VS2. determine what eyeclean means to YOU. clean from 2'', 6"? from face up or from all sides? If a stone of any clarity grade is clean to your definition, it''s clean, regardless of whether it''s VVS1 or I1. Don''t go higher than you need to if you''re on a budget
2.gif
Some ex''s are better than some vgs, some vgs are better than some exs. again, go by the numbers and pics.

3. My girlfriend has small hands and I don''t know her ring size. I think maybe a size 5. I have spent this long struggling with what diamond so I''m not even going to bother with choosing a setting. I''m going with something simple like a thin band 6-prong with the expectation that it will be resized and likely returned and exchanged for something that she can choose later. Is it easier to resize a ring if it is too big or if it is too small? I''m wondering if I should go with my best guess (a size 5) or just getting something bigger knowing that it will have to be resized. Also, do you think it''s a good plan to just go with the most basic band with the expectation that it will be exchanged? Why not just propose with a diamond and choose the setting together? You''ll save on that temp setting.. otherwise a simple basic gold band should run you /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif[/img]

Any comments you have would be appreciated? Thanks very much in advance.

-- J

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good post Yssie!!

As DancingFire says you can always post the details from the grading reports here so we can help you judge the cut. Also you could purchase an Idealscope and use it if you prefer to shop in person. They are simple to use with a little practise, link to purchasing a scope is included on the above page if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results