shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions from a newbie about ering style, price, etc!!

iceicebabie

Rough_Rock
Hi! I've been a lurker and finally have decided to take the plunge and join to ask a few questions! I love this forum and all the pictures.

I'm looking for my engagement ring because I'm far more particular than my boyfriend, and he's given the go ahead to pick what I like and to tell him. Questions that I would really like your opinions and answers to:

1. I thought I wanted a round brilliant diamond solitaire, but seeing the price differences, would I get more bang for my buck by getting a different cut (such as BGD cushion, heart shape, etc) for a large diamond? I'd ideally like a 2.5-3 carat diamond with a lot of sparkle, but don't want to spend over about $20k. I don't mind sacrificing some of the qualities, but want lots of sparkle. Recommendations on what I can sacrifice?

2. I really love sparkle, I know that round brilliant has the most sparkle. What is next and then some?

3. What are your opinions on rose gold? Strength? I am considering a rose gold solitaire (including prongs) with inlay-ed pink diamonds on the side (only 2 or 3 per side). Similar to the antique one I posted. I'm a redhead with very pale skin.

4. Where do you recommend buying the best price loose diamonds? Is it best to buy local or online? I want to keep with GIA or AGS.

Help please!

3.04 carat roe gold diamond solitaire.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS!

First, I think you really need to get out and try some rings on IRL. Figure out which cut you like best, and stick with it. If you think an RB looks best on your hand, and it's your favorite cut, I wouldn't go with a different cut just because there is a price difference. I think that's a choice you will come to regret.

Okay, on to your specific questions.

1) Although an RB costs a bit more per carat, it will face up larger than most other cuts as well. SO, I think it pretty much evens out. For example, my 2.3 ct OMB is approx. 8 x 8 mm, which is (I believe) the same spread you will get with a 2.0 ct RB. So, my 2.3 ct fancy cut appears to be the same size as a 2.0 ct RB.
As for cost, once you decide which cut you prefer, do a search using the PS diamond search engine and you'll see what options are available in your price range. I don't believe you'll be able to get an excellent cut RB in the 2.5 to 3 ct range for 20K, but I'm not an expert there. But I'd do some research with your budget.

2) As for sparkle, I'm sure you've read that many PSers believe cut is king. Whatever stone shape you prefer, get one that is excellent cut. That will maximize the sparkle for that stone.

3) I love rose gold. I have a rose gold solitaire and I think it's gorgeous. Mine is 18K. I don't believe there is a difference between the strength of rose gold and white or yellow gold, but perhaps an expert will weigh in on that. I love the ring you posted, as well. It's gorgeous. (ETA: The prongs on my ring are platinum. I'm hoping someone on here can speak to durability of rose gold prongs.)

4) PSers favor a number of online vendors, and typically the stones will cost a bit less online than in a B&M store. This comes down to personal preference, though. I'm in the minority of PSers in that I prefer to buy from my trusted local jeweler because I want the perks that come with using a local jeweler, and I couldn't get those with an online vendor. (These are things like regular free maintenance on my ring, free melee stone replacement without the hassle of sending it in, a relationship with a real jeweler, etc.) This is largely personal preference, though.

Good luck on your search! I really can't stress enough the importance of going out and trying on real rings. You will have no idea what you really love until you see it on your hand.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Welcome to PS! I'm going to be honest here. I think your expectations are a bit on the high side. I browsed a couple of PS vendors, looking at both rounds and cushions and you are not likely to find a stone in the 2.5-3 ct. range for $20K unless you really sacrafice on cut/clarity/color. If it were me, I'd go to my local stores and ask to see well cut stones in a range of color grades. That way, you can see what your tolerance is for color. I'd also try on a variety of cushion cut stones alongside a round and see which shape appeals to you most.

I think that rose gold should be fine for an ering (and the photo you posted is lovely!). I also think that you can do better online than at a local B&M. Yeukitel at ID Jewelry Online has very competitive pricing, as does Eternity Diamonds. They can help you find what you're looking for once you know what that is! Happy shopping!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is really lovely...its about $25k including setting.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Halos/The-Bella-Halo-Featuring-a-9mm/16713089_WPwSgd#1282709088_3gNWrmp

It will probably be hard to find a round in the 2.5-3 carat range for less than $20k (thanks to the big jump in
diamond prices that we've had lately).

Here is an oval in your price range (3 carats).
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1396215.asp

Pear
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Premium-Cut-Pear-Diamond-1398189.asp

iceicebabie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your fast replies!!

As for the budget, it's negotiable. I've been looking at BGD (love his rings and stones), but the prices for 2.5-3 ct are around $35-$45k. BGD is also local to me (yay!). I was hoping to find some for less than $35 and threw out $20k (I see that I may be very much too low here).

I have tried on many rings already and just get more confused the more I look, honestly. I originally wanted a graduated prong set ring with a 1-1.5 carat in the middle, but then decided it was too much for me and I liked the look of a solitaire with prong set diamond wedding bands. I've always loved rose gold and have a lot of rose gold jewelry already, I am mainly concerned about the strength and want the prongs in rose gold too (like the photo).

I love how sparkly the round brilliant are. I also am in love with heart diamonds, but was told that they were usually the "mess-up" round brilliant ones by a jeweler once and that made me shy away from them. From my research online, I found that you can get a larger heart diamond for the price compared to the round brilliant. Anyone have experience here on heart diamonds?

iceicebabie

Rough_Rock
tyty333 - I love that first ring you posted! Gorgeous.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about cast offs, but I personally will say that fair or not, I don't consider heart diamonds to be as classic and elegant as RBs...

RBs have a certain "type" of sparkle. Even within RBs there are different sorts - larger or smaller facets, higher or lower crown, larger or smaller table - that create different "looks" thanks to different types of sparkle. It's a scale: at one end you've got a stone (radiants, 4+chevron princesses) that throws off tons of fast, small twinkly white sparkles, and at the other end you've got a stone (chunky antique cushion, etc) with a few, slow, blindingly powerful flashes (and potential for more coloured light return in a variety of lighting types). One isn't objectively better than the other - just depends on what you personally prefer to see.

Platinum prongs like Haven's are technically safest to hold the stone - platinum is more malleable than alloyed gold, and so if you bash the head against the door it'll bend, and the newly-misshapen prongs will continue to cradle the stone, whereas an alloyed gold prong might snap right off under that same impact. Many people do have 14kt and 18kt rings and prongs - this is one time I'd say if you know you want a rose gold head for the colour just be sure to get your ring insured and try not to bang your ring around ;)) 14k has more alloy (copper, silver) than 18k and so it'll be more brittle, and I've found that it can in fact tarnish (regular cheap silver cleaner works well).

vsc

Shiny_Rock
You might be able to get a great deal on a heart diamond, if you really like them - I think it's a niche market, few people like them, so they are rare/hard to sell but can also be a great deal.

The setting you have posted is gorgeous, and I also love the JBEG Bella - one of my recent favorites. The setting you posted has 8 prongs, which is going to make the setting more secure, just because you break 1 or 2 prongs, the stone won't fall off. I think if you watch out so that the design is sturdy enough, and keep an eye on them, there shouldn't be a problem with gold prongs.

If you're looking for spread for the money, ovals, pears and marquise will tend to face up big for their weight, but it's more difficult to identify the sparkliest ones, so you'd have to really try them on and see if you like them.

If it doesn't bother you, you can also look at the secondary market to reach the size you want in your price range.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
vsc|1314387092|3000605 said:
If it doesn't bother you, you can also look at the secondary market to reach the size you want in your price range.

I looked at various vendors a bit I do think it will be hard for you to get what you want in your price range, even if you have wiggle room; the prices at that size without sacrificing quality require a budget is quite a bit larger. How much flexibility to you have?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results