shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for the Professionals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the best "balance" of quality between these two diamonds?
This is not a complete questions regarding cut etc. I just wish to know only between these two specifications what has the best "balance of quality".

0.70 Carat, Color J, Clarity VS2 OR
0.73 Carat, Color I, Clarity SI1

Thank you in advance.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The last tima I played this game, I chose #1 and everybody else chose #2.
Lets try this again...I take #2. As long as the diamond is eye clean, I will always take the higher color.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I'm no diamonbob, but that's what I'd choose....all else being equal.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well looks like I did wrong. I chose No.1 as I like higher clarity but the store owner had also told me that No.1 was the best "balance of quality". Was he just trying to get rid of the J Color stone do you think?

By the way I could not see any colour in the stone from the top view and the stone looked as bright and sparkly as a G color stone I own. I see color from the side view but it does not really bother me.

What do you all think?

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
If it looks good, who cares? If you agreed with the jeweler that it looked better, then you chose the better one. It's that simple. Congrats.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The I color SI1 diamond is 3 points larger and $88 more than the
J color VS2 diamond.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Pyramid,

3 points is nothing....it's the amount of salt I put
in boiling water when I cook pastas....

Hope this helps,

Trichrome.
3.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I was meaning is this a reasonable increase for one grade higher in color and one grade lower in clarity, I thought both stones would be about the same price as one evens out the other and did not think 3 points could cost this amount of money although it is not too much $$$.

I know the professionals here are saying to choose the H color SI1 over the J color VS2 and am just wondering why my jeweller thinks the J color stone is a better balance of quality when the other stone is a bit more costly.

Is he telling it wrong and the H color stone is the one to go with or is there not much difference in color when going down 1 color grade. I know that I prefer the look of the clearer clarity under my loupe with the VS2 J color stone. I also know that color is distinguishable with the naked eye and clarity is not at these levels.

Is it a personal decision or am I choosing a lower value stone should I want to resell it? Just wondering if my jeweller really believes what he is saying or is he trying to get rid of the lower color diamond.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I know the professionals here are saying to choose the H color SI1
over the J color VS2 and am just wondering why my jeweller thinks the
J color stone is a better balance of quality when the other stone is a
bit more costly.
-----------

Hi Pyramid. You first listed the SI1 as being an "I" color. Is that correct?

If so, then theoretically the 0.73 I/SI1 would usually bring about a 14% premium in price over the J/VS2 if the cuts were considered equivalent. The reason for this (even though it seems the one grade up-and-down should "balance things out") is because color usually carries more weight in the pricing equation than clarity, as long is neither is "way out of whack".

In the case of your two diamonds though, there could be modifying factors. Could be the cut on the J/VS2 was better than the I/SI1. Could be the SI1 is a "low" SI1. Could be the J color is a "high" J, or has a touch of fluorescence making it look whiter than it is.

If there was only $88 dollars difference, I'm sure there was a reason. I also tend to think the jeweler was probably giving you good information, trying to steer you towards the stone he regarded as more beautiful. This seems to be verified by the fact that you liked the J/VS2 better as well!

I'd say you did good.

Congratulations.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood Yes the SI1 is the I color. I found a chart on the internet which showed color and clarity per carat weight and it was showing a SI1 I as the same price as a J VS2. Maybe the chart was wrong? The chart is shown on the following link

http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/da-naked-eye.htm

I see it is showing Rapaport prices so I suppose a consumer would not be getting the stone for that, so are the components of the diamond e.g. 4 Cs given premium ratings after wholesale or is it too complicated to go into.

The thing is I had bought the diamond and ring and he had sized it before I saw the other ring. I asked about it and he said the color was I and clarity SI1 but I have not seen this in writing as the stones do not come with certificates. I am now wondering if he is against changing the stone out or resizing the other ring when he is only gaining $88 and is trying to put me off changing the ring (concerning how much he would gain I can hardly blame him). I had only had my ring for 3 days though.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood quote "then theoretically the 0.73 I/SI1 would usually bring about a 14% premium in price over the J/VS2 if the cuts were considered equivalent"

Richard could you give me a reference table to the premium percentages or figures for the following:

0.70 G/VS1 over the J/VS2
0.70 H/VS1 over the J/VS2
0.70 I/VS1 over the J/VS2

0.70 G/VS2 over the J/VS2
0.70 H/VS2 over the J/VS2
0.70 I/VS2 over the J/VS2
and lastly

0.70 J/VS1 over the J/VS2

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
I found a chart on the internet which showed color
and clarity per carat weight and it was showing a SI1
I as the same price as a J VS2. Maybe the chart was
wrong?
-----------

Hiya Pymarid. That was an old Rap sheet from 1991. The current edition shows the I/IS1 being valued at 10% more than the J/VS2. The other 4% comes in when you figure out the per carat prices times 0.73 versus 0.70.

-----------
0.70 G/VS1 over the J/VS2.....+65%
0.70 H/VS1 over the J/VS2.....+48%
0.70 I/VS1 over the J/VS2.....+19%

0.70 G/VS2 over the J/VS2.....+55%
0.70 H/VS2 over the J/VS2.....+41%
0.70 I/VS2 over the J/VS2.....+16%
and lastly

0.70 J/VS1 over the J/VS2.....+3%
-----------

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweller has no problem with me changing the ring. He would charged a small fee for returning the ring I have to a stock size though and I am happy to pay this if I decide to go this route and ofcourse I have to pay the difference in price.

Do you all think I should change to the 0.73 I/SI1 or stay with the 0.70 J/VS2? I don't know if I would like seeing the inclusions in the SI1 with a loupe but I would prefer better colour than the J. The price difference as I mentioned is $88. Given the modifying factors that Richard Sherwood said may exist do you think I should change?

I have also asked the jeweller if he has a H/VS2 or an I/VS2 but do not know if he does or what price differences those would be in his store.

Thank you very much Richard Sherwood for giving me the percentages I was asking about, I really appreciate that.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Do you all think I should change to the 0.73 I/SI1 or
stay with the 0.70 J/VS2? I don't know if I would
like seeing the inclusions in the SI1 with a loupe
but I would prefer better colour than the J.
-----------

Depends on the cut. If the J/VS2 has a better cut than the I/SI1 I'd stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results