shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for DBTY owners

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have been wanting to buy a diamond by the yard necklace for about two years now, but not sure if it will be comfortable to wear one. I bought a decent quality CZ one from Amazon to try it out. I really like the look but it keeps flipping and it drives me crazy. I thought I would be bothered by the open culet poking skin, a little but not so bad. So a few questions for you DBTY owners:
  • Do you find the diamonds flipping a lot? I feel like majority of the stones (at least in my case the CZ stones), flip all the time, with them facing down and culet facing upward. That bothers me a lot. How about you?
  • When it comes to real diamonds, I worry about the culet not protected. I do like the bezel setting the most, but do most DBTY necklaces have open culet? Would you worry about the stones being damaged?
  • What do you think is the optimal size of each stone if you want some presence without breaking the bank?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
My DBTY from Whiteflash flips too. However, the melee WF uses is so sparkly that both sides of my diamonds sparkle so the flipping doesn't bother me.

The only culets poking me that bother me are the ones on the back side of my neck. They especially bother me when I put on a cardigan sweater or a jacket and the material pushes the diamonds down into my flesh. I am planning on having these diamonds on the back of my neck removed and used in a different piece of jewelry since they don't show anyway (I have long hair) unless I am wearing my hair up or in a pony tail.

My diamonds are .2 ct each. I like the size a lot, and next time I will probably go a tiny bit larger, at .25's.

Yes, I do worry about the culets being vulnerable to damage because they are exposed. I am careful not to bunch up the necklace in my ultrasonic or my jewelry box because I don't want the diamonds to rub each other's culets. I don't worry about damage when wearing the necklace because necklaces are up high and out of harm's way. We don't really bump them on things other than our flesh and clothing which are of course soft.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Had a bracelet and now a necklace. Yes they flip. I may redo the necklace so that the bezels are closed back, which imho looks better when flipped than exposed culet. For my necklace I like about 2mm diamond, but I prefer dainty over blingy. My bracelet was 6.7mm. Re culet, sometimes the bracelet poked. The necklace does not. I don’t stress over culet damage but I think closed back might look better anyway.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a necklace and bracelet that I stopped wearing because of the flipping.

michkal

Rough_Rock
I have a 5 stone dbty necklace, .90 total from Tiffany’s. I don’t feel poking at all. It flips, but like someone said above it’s sparkly on both sides. All the movement and sparkle is pretty to me. I also have a single .6 that flips less and I don’t feel the culet either. I love both.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I have 10 stone with 20 pointers and yes it flips. I'm pleased with that size.

I can sometimes feel the culets if what I am wearing is pressing on the necklace (primarily an issue at back of neck). I don't worry about damage while wearing it but definitely careful when it is off.
I really like it and think it is pretty and sparkly even when it flips. It works for layering if you are into that.

With the front and back of the stones touching your skin it does need more frequent cleaning than, say, a solitaire pendant. I clean mine every 1-2 wearings.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My DBTY from Whiteflash flips too. However, the melee WF uses is so sparkly that both sides of my diamonds sparkle so the flipping doesn't bother me.

The only culets poking me that bother me are the ones on the back side of my neck. They especially bother me when I put on a cardigan sweater or a jacket and the material pushes the diamonds down into my flesh. I am planning on having these diamonds on the back of my neck removed and used in a different piece of jewelry since they don't show anyway (I have long hair) unless I am wearing my hair up or in a pony tail.

My diamonds are .2 ct each. I like the size a lot, and next time I will probably go a tiny bit larger, at .25's.

Yes, I do worry about the culets being vulnerable to damage because they are exposed. I am careful not to bunch up the necklace in my ultrasonic or my jewelry box because I don't want the diamonds to rub each other's culets. I don't worry about damage when wearing the necklace because necklaces are up high and out of harm's way. We don't really bump them on things other than our flesh and clothing which are of course soft.

agree, I'd think if the diamonds were to look the best even when they are flipped would be the super ideal type.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have 10 stone with 20 pointers and yes it flips. I'm pleased with that size.

I can sometimes feel the culets if what I am wearing is pressing on the necklace (primarily an issue at back of neck). I don't worry about damage while wearing it but definitely careful when it is off.
I really like it and think it is pretty and sparkly even when it flips. It works for layering if you are into that.

With the front and back of the stones touching your skin it does need more frequent cleaning than, say, a solitaire pendant. I clean mine every 1-2 wearings.

I love the layering look and intend to wear the DBTY with either a pendant or chain, at least to have the option to layer it. So seeing open culets worries me because I can see how the diamonds will rub with other metals.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a 5 stone dbty necklace, .90 total from Tiffany’s. I don’t feel poking at all. It flips, but like someone said above it’s sparkly on both sides. All the movement and sparkle is pretty to me. I also have a single .6 that flips less and I don’t feel the culet either. I love both.

5 stone + a slightly bigger single = perfect layering, very classic.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a five stone Roberto Coin and I wear it every day. I’ve never been bothered by the flipping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results