shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions/Comparisons from Med Student''s Mom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,
Still lurking out here, looking, looking. Somehow I''m going to scrape up a little more money for my son and help him just a wee bit more on price. I guess I''ve hearned that for a couple hundred dollars more, you can sometimes get quite a bit more. That being said my prior post said:

"We have two smaller diamonds from his grandmother - not terribly valuable, but VERY sentimental, that my son wants to include in the ring. They are 3.4 and 3.2 respectively, (not carats, measurements) Color I, S2.

So I''m thinking we need the center diamond (RB) to be H, I or J color. Hopefully between .65 and .75 in carats, with excellent cut, vg or better symmetry and polish."

I came up with these possible choices. I would so very much appreciate advice from your most experienced eyes (you too Ellen if you are out there!).

Please list any comments on individual stones, and if possible give me your best #1 and #2 picks.

Again, many, many thanks to all of you who respond.

Here are the stones (Whiteflash):

.777 Color J ClarityVS2 Round Cut Ideal
HCA1.7
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-395182.htm#
I was worried about the cluster of imperfections? Would these show on a VS2 clarity? This is closer to budget but as I said, I’m worried about the imperfections???

.787 Color I Clarity SI1 H&A ACA
HCA 1.4
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-395226.htm#

.737 Color I Clarity SI1 ACA H&A
HCA 1.2
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-395224.htm#

.743 Color Clarity H SI2 ACA H&A
HCA 1.0
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-25850.htm#
OK, on this one it seems the Ideal Scop Image shows more light return, but on the ASET and the Hearts Images there are dark black spots – Carbon? Will these show?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, clearly the .78 has the biggest diameter. If you can swing it, and it's eyeclean, I'd probably pick that one.

The .77 is a VS2, which means the inclusions should be small enough that they're not visable or present a problem.

Really though, since you get to see these, it's just a matter of what is or isn't eyeclean, and what is affordable. As far as cut, they are ALL nice, and you can't go wrong. However, they will all have their own "personalities", so besides the other factors, there may be one that "speaks" to him better.
2.gif

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input on the stone, Ellen! ( BTW I noticed on your posted pics you had a motorcycle - my DH has one two. But I don''t ride (and won''t ever) thanks to breaking my ankle in Mexico last December on a moped, no less LOL!!!)

Can you or anyone tell me what the black dots are on some of the images? Are those more likely to present a problem?

J.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how you saw a motorcycle, I don''t own one!! lol
33.gif

It would probably be best to call WF and ask, as I''d really only be guessing at the inclusions. One thing I do know, you really can''t go by the pics. They can be deceiving, both ways.
28.gif

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
Ooops. Could have sworn that was you Ellen. Went to your profile and found a posted pics thread - just assumed it must be you, sorry.

I am such a newbie at this, thanks for your patience.

Wish John Q could also look at the stones I''m considering, though that''s probably verbotten as he is associated with Whiteflash (but I wouldn''t care and would welcome such).

I''ll call Jamie at Whiteflash and ask some questions - although the diamonds I''m considering will probably be gone by next Friday when we are scheduled review stones. I was kind of hoping to make preliminary a decision on one of them and ask Whiteflash to hold until we could see it at our appointment it next Friday........

J.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
lol, the motorcycle gal is ME!
Ellen and I both posted in your last topic...so you must have confused us.

I''m so glad you were able to scrape up some extra money for your son.. it''ll really open up your options.
Cross your fingers, hopefully they''ll still have those diamonds (and possibly more) for your next appointment.

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
Curiopotter! Yes, you did both post and I did get you confused (sorry Ellen) LOL! When you get my age you mess up a lot of stuff....55 and holding!

Did you have any suggestions on which diamond you thought best?

Thanks,
Jean

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
hehe, it''s okay

Honestly, they all look really good. If you can, get them to line them all up and see which one you guys like better. If you can''t decide, then go for the most inexpensive!

That''s basically what I did.. I narrowed it all down, took out the ones I could see inclusions in, and got down to three. I ended up with an SI2 that was so completely eye clean that I couldn''t believe I picked the most inexpensive one!

Once you get them all side by side, especially with your two other small diamonds, you''ll be able to decide. Look at them in the window, look at them under the desk (to block out overhead lighting), and look at them in diffused lighting.

That J is really nice.. it may actually look good with the sidestones because those ACA''s reflect a ton of light..
I also like the one I picked out... I don''t like the last one with the black inclusions... although you may not see it, but consider how you want to set the stones, because it may be visible from the sides with open prongs.

spaceworm

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash doesn''t seem to have many choices right now in your price/size range. A month ago they had lots of really nice stones and they were all scooped up pretty fast. If possible I would wait to see what else pops up, specially in their Expert Selection inventory. Still my vote is for the .777ct J

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 7:34:51 PM
Author: jpk1102
Curiopotter! Yes, you did both post and I did get you confused (sorry Ellen) LOL! When you get my age you mess up a lot of stuff....55 and holding!

Jean
lol No need to apologize! I mess stuff up too.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is wonderful that you will help him out by adding a little to the budget! I''d stick with one of the I color stones if it were me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results