shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions around planning a LGD ring upgrade

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Newbie here! For an upcoming wedding anniversary, my husband and I are planning to upgrade my engagement ring from my .97 carat mined diamond to a larger and better cut lab grown diamond. As I dive into this, I was very excited to find this forum. I have a few initial questions for the gurus in this group:

1. From poking around here, it seems that the best LGD value is shopping from online vendors like Ritani, Frank Darling, etc... would any of you recommend looking at local jeweler selections as well? We live right by the Philly diamond district and I noticed on many of these jewelers' websites that they now carry LGDs. But is going the online route typically the most economical and hassle-free way to buy?

2. When it comes to upgrade size, I'm thinking of getting something in the 1.8-2 carat range. We're also not really sure what to budget for this. So while we're not ready to pull the trigger yet, does anyone have examples of great round LGDs in this size range so that I can get a feel for pricing? Not sure if it matters, but I'd be setting this stone in my current yellow gold setting, so I don't think I'd be need a D/E range, unless others feels differently.

3. Are there any specific things to look for and others to avoid as I'm browsing LGDs? I see a lot being talked about here (GCAL 8X, HPHT vs CVD, different color hues, etc.).

4. Finally, what would be the best way to sell/consign my natural diamond? It's a .97 ct RB, I color, Si1, GIA triple X, HCA 1.3. I have the GIA certificate and am aware that I likely won't get back near the amount that I paid (which was $4,550 a few years ago). I'm thinking of going to various jewelers nearby and getting their bids, but not sure if that's the best way to go.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! I actually did the same thing. I 'upgraded' my mined diamond to a lab. I went to the diamond district in NYC but I find them to be very pushy and if they dont have what you want, they try to convince you that you want something they have LOL. I found the best prices were on Ritani, and i could really change the boxes to filter and get what i wanted for the price i wanted to pay. As long as you read a few threads on here you will see what specs/dimensions to look for, and other users will weigh in if you find one you think is a good one.

I sold my diamond on here actually (on pre-loved) but it was an OEC which I think tend to be easier to sell? Not sure, but you can start here and LoupeTroop to see if you can sell it. If you don't mind assuming the risk, you'll get more than if you consign or sell to a jeweler. Just do your homework on the buyer as much as possible.

Are you sure a larger diamond will fit in your setting? I had to have mine remade as the larger diamond didnt fit my setting.

This is personal: I personally want bigger carat so i am more willing to sacrifice color and clarity to a point, i cant tell a G from a D personally, also I cant see a difference between a VS2 and a VVS1.

There are so many SUPER helpful people that can help you find the perfect diamond in your budget! You do have to be ready immediately though because lurkers will swoop in and buy so until you're ready I wouldnt ask for a specific diamond!

Good luck! thats so exciting!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much! That’s all super helpful.

I already had an upgrade once (from a half carat to this current size), and the jeweler simply cut out the entire original prong basket and re-soldered the new basket into the ring. It’s a family heirloom setting that I’d like to keep, so I assumed that going from 1 to 2 carats would be the same process? Either way, I will check with the jeweler first!

7166C87B-5675-4510-A329-8F2E0224682C.jpeg 7759CB8E-DA9E-4AF9-8FE9-00FA6D9FCA24.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much! That’s all super helpful.

I already had an upgrade once (from a half carat to this current size), and the jeweler simply cut out the entire original prong basket and re-soldered the new basket into the ring. It’s a family heirloom setting that I’d like to keep, so I assumed that going from 1 to 2 carats would be the same process? Either way, I will check with the jeweler first!

7166C87B-5675-4510-A329-8F2E0224682C.jpeg 7759CB8E-DA9E-4AF9-8FE9-00FA6D9FCA24.jpeg

I second selling on Loupetroop. You can post it in pre-loved with photos and specs. If you have certification for the diamond, it will be helpful. If you do not, it may be worth sending out first to GIA.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi howlucky! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

1. Buying online is almost certainly the least expensive way to buy, and with the most options. We usually find the best deals on Ritani. For GCAL 8x stones, I look at Adiamor and Frank Darling.

2. Here are a couple diamonds I would recommend in your intended size range so you can get an idea of pricing. The second one is a GCAL 8x, which is pretty much a guarantee of high cut quality, but does come at a premium. If you're planning on buying within the next month, Adiamor is currently having a Valentine's Day sale.

3. I tend to prefer HPHT diamonds because they have fewer issues to watch out for (blue nuance) compared to CVD (striations, brown or grey hue, haziness, birefringence). Usually it's easiest to find HPHT diamonds among D or E color.

4. I agree with Inked and MMtwo on selling your diamond on Loupetroop and posting it on the Preloved forum here.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I second selling on Loupetroop. You can post it in pre-loved with photos and specs. If you have certification for the diamond, it will be helpful. If you do not, it may be worth sending out first to GIA.

Thank you, @MMtwo ! I do have a GIA certificate with the diamond. Is Loupetroop generally a very safe way to sell?

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Hi howlucky! Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

1. Buying online is almost certainly the least expensive way to buy, and with the most options. We usually find the best deals on Ritani. For GCAL 8x stones, I look at Adiamor and Frank Darling.

2. Here are a couple diamonds I would recommend in your intended size range so you can get an idea of pricing. The second one is a GCAL 8x, which is pretty much a guarantee of high cut quality, but does come at a premium. If you're planning on buying within the next month, Adiamor is currently having a Valentine's Day sale.

3. I tend to prefer HPHT diamonds because they have fewer issues to watch out for (blue nuance) compared to CVD (striations, brown or grey hue, haziness, birefringence). Usually it's easiest to find HPHT diamonds among D or E color.

4. I agree with Inked and MMtwo on selling your diamond on Loupetroop and posting it on the Preloved forum here.

Thanks so much, @Kim N - I was hoping that I could find a quality 2 carat for under $2.5k, and it seems like it's possible! Is there a big quality difference between a very well cut diamond that's not GCAL 8X and one that is?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I do have a GIA certificate with the diamond. Is Loupetroop generally a very safe way to sell?

The great part of Loupetroop is that you do not pay a fee to anyone. You are on your own to complete the sale (both good and bad!). There are a list of pros and cons, but you would not have the usual buyer safeguards and protections you would have buying and selling on eBay. A buyer can use regular transactional PayPal for some assurance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @Kim N - I was hoping that I could find a quality 2 carat for under $2.5k, and it seems like it's possible! Is there a big quality difference between a very well cut diamond that's not GCAL 8X and one that is?

Definitely possible! And with a PS team here helping you, we can find you a stone that's just as good as a GCAL 8x without the cost premium.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, @howlucky !

If you want to go a touch bigger yet, then here are some great options to have a look at:

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much, @Kim N and @DejaWiz ! I'm going to talk to my jeweler this week about how big a stone he feels that my setting can accommodate, and finalize a budget with my husband. Do you mind if I come back to this thread and ask you to help me decide a final stone when I'm ready to buy?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, @Kim N and @DejaWiz ! I'm going to talk to my jeweler this week about how big a stone he feels that my setting can accommodate, and finalize a budget with my husband.
Do you mind if I come back to this thread and ask you to help me decide a final stone when I'm ready to buy?

Of course! Just tag us when you're ready.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Amazing!! That would be such a huge help. Thanks for lending your expertise to this important decision (and for so many others on this site from what I can see)!

I looked back at the possibilities you and DejaWiz sent and noticed that they're all HPHT "Type II" - is there a reason that you recommend this type of LGD? Also, I saw that a couple of the reports noted Hearts & Arrows explicitly while others didn't...are the ones that state that they're H&A always better than ones that don't? Just want to get an idea for your expert selection criteria since so many diamonds filter as "ideal". What makes you both pick some "ideal" stones as recommendations over others?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing!! That would be such a huge help. Thanks for lending your expertise to this important decision (and for so many others on this site from what I can see)!

I looked back at the possibilities you and DejaWiz sent and noticed that they're all HPHT "Type II" - is there a reason that you recommend this type of LGD? Also, I saw that a couple of the reports noted Hearts & Arrows explicitly while others didn't...are the ones that state that they're H&A always better than ones that don't? Just want to get an idea for your expert selection criteria since so many diamonds filter as "ideal". What makes you both pick some "ideal" stones as recommendations over others?

I personally prefer HPHT over CVD for the reason I mentioned above. CVD has more issues to watch out for, and HPHT is closer to how natural diamonds were formed in the earth. HPHT Type IIa means it has no boron present and therefore no blue nuance. Type IIb means it has boron and likely displays blue nuance. Unfortunately, most lab reports only say "Type II" without specifying IIa or IIb, so we need to look at the video to determine if it has blue nuance.

I believe the H&A designation is something a supplier has to pay to get added to the report. And most reports that do say it only have stock images, and you need to see actual images anyway to verify true H&A. As a result, I take the designation with a grain of salt, and I don't think it's necessary to limit yourself to only the ones with the notation.

I agree that many stones fall under the "ideal" filter. I usually use the below criteria instead. Crown and pavilion angles, as well as HPHT vs. CVD, need to be filtered manually.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Re reselling your current diamond, just a thought here but when I upgraded, I had originally planned to sell mine to help with the cost of the new one. But after seeing the loss I'd take on it (and figuring it will probably be the only other diamond I'd ever get) in the end, I decided to just hang on to it.

I'll offer it to my kid if they get married, to help defray their costs. If it's not wanted, then I plan to have something made for myself.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I went into a jeweler today to see what size I like, and I think around ~2.2 is my sweet spot (I'm a size 4). He had a 2.2 carat GCAL 8X in store that he was selling for $8k...I knew from this forum that I could do much better on Ritani/Adiamor!

But it was nice to see a GCAL 8X LGD in person, and he also confirmed that they'd be able to set this size stone in my current setting, which is a big relief because the setting is a family heirloom that I didn't want to stop wearing.

IMG_6514.jpg

I'll start a new thread once I talk it all over with my husband and we're set to purchase. Thanks for so much lab diamond education in a short time, folks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results