shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about shopping at Tiffany

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 5:41:36 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 1/31/2008 7:56:20 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I was just at Tiffany yesterday to try on some Legacies and they wouldn''t take rings over $50k out of the case, but said I could see them in a private room. I think you can see any of their rings in a private room they just can''t show you in their main showroom.

Yes. That is the policy. They''ll certainly let you look at absolutely anything you want...but you have to go into a private room usually. They can''t just pull it out of a case. Maybe when IHC went to the one in Chicago they didn''t have a room available?

And Gypsy, I STILL think about that gorgeous ring at Cartier! I still can''t believe they just took everything out of the case for us to try.

Interesting... We just bougt my FI''s wedding b and at a small Tiffany (Chestnut Hill, MA) and I don''t think they even have a private room.. they had a private nook--but still very much on the main floor... They took us there to show us the bands... I think more so you could sit down more than anything else though

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
My BF and I went to Tiffany to look at rings. There was a 4.5ct solitaire that I asked if I could try on just for fun, and the saleslady said she couldn''t take it out right there, but we could do it if we went into a different room. Then she pointed to a 3ct one and said I could try that one on if I wanted.

Then a few days later we went to Joe Escobar and told the salesperson about what happened at Tiffany and he laughed, got up, and brought me back a ring with an 8ct oval to try on.
9.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2008 7:56:20 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I was just at Tiffany yesterday to try on some Legacies and they wouldn''t take rings over $50k out of the case, but said I could see them in a private room. I think you can see any of their rings in a private room they just can''t show you in their main showroom.
Yes they told me the same thing, I could look at this HUGE eternity ring in a private room...I declined becasue I was not really interested in buying it!

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
No, I am not saying that exactly. When you plot a Tiff on the HCA, I have done a lot of them for fun, curiousitym etc, you find they as often as not do not hit the IDEAL cut ratings. They pretty much alwasy fall just outside of it in what the HCA explanation terms the "More Fire"/"Young Peoples rings" area. Which according to the HCA means they will look better at less then 10 inches inspection then other diamonds that hit IDEAL.

"Additionally, if you examine diamonds from closer up than 10 inches (25cm) in your selection process, you will probably prefer diamonds with proportions that fall in the “Young Peoples Rings” area that is marked on the chart below in the upper right of the red zone."

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp

The more fire contrasts against more brightness..which I really don''t understand all that much. All I know is the FI loves the ring and I have had zero remorse about it.

IheartDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 4:09:04 PM
Author: sna77

Date: 1/31/2008 1:18:20 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Before getting engaged, my husband and I looked at Tiffany''s seriously and although we ended up going thru a private jeweler, I''ll be happy to share my experience with you...hope it helps!

My husband was set on getting me a diamond above 2 carats. At T&Co they were very accomidating, and although some of the rings my husband wanted to see they wouldn''t show him because insurance reasons...they were more than happy to answer his questions concerning the quality of the diamond. My husband is very analytical...he is in the banking industry...and was all about the numbers! My husband loved the fact that they were strict about clarity and color, and was trusting of that because Tiffany is a well respected brand and he knew that should problems arise down the road, most likely T&Co would stand behind their product.

I think that if you''re sold on T&Co, you should spend some time in the store, looking and getting a good feel for their product. Look at several rings in your price range...ask to see them under a loup. You will pay a premium for Tiffany jewelry across the board...but I''ve never heard of anyone actually buying a ring from T&Co that was disappointed in the quality, brilliance or over all ring. I would bank on being safely within the eyeclean clarity of a diamond--regardless...and consider yourself lucky that you have such a wonderful and generous FF.

Good luck, can''t wait to see the ring!!

They wouldn''t show him the rings he was thinking of buying??? He just had to look at them through a case???!!!
They wouldn''t show him the ring he wanted to buy??? That makes no sense, on Tiffany''s part.

I had a some rude encounters with Tiffany''s as well. When I wanted to purchase a wedding band from Tiffany''s, I went back a handful of times to try it on and make sure I loved it, the man who was helping me was very rude and would give me attitude about it (NOTE: I have a very young look and when I go to malls on weekends I like to dress casual tang tops, flip flops...) On my final visit (to purchase the stone) he came up to me and my FI (now husband) and asked if he could help us, we told him no thanks and we waited for another sales person to purchase the ring from. Due to his arrogance and stupidity he lost a commission! BTW: This happened at Tiffany''s at South Coast Plaza Costa Mesa, CA

My point being Italia, you need to speak up... Demand to see the ring and ask to work with a new sales person. Sometimes these sales people think their gods or something. They need to get a reality check and realize that they''re just sales people who work on a hourly wage at the MALL!

Sorry didn''t mean to go on a tirade... It really makes me upset when people get treated like this though.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
At Tiffanys, the decision to show a ring in a private room is not based on a judgment of a customer at all. Its based on the value of a ring. So it really doesn''t matter what you look like or what the salesperson thinks of you.

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
Again, it is insurance. The terms of Tiffs insurance preclude them from showing rings to people that they are not certain are going to be making a purchase that day.

Aint gonna change unless you want to take over insuring Tiffs diamonds and say that they can show them to anyone they want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results