shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about setting stones and priority

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. Since this summer, I have purchased around twenty loose stones and I have more on the way. I have been interested in colored stones and jewelry in general since I was a child and I am happy to say that I have finally moved beyond my "learner stone" phase. When I bought each stone, I definitely had at least one idea in mind for how I wanted to set it. However, I think that because I acquired so many stones so quickly (18 in less than 6 months) I am having a very difficult time prioritizing which ones to get set first. I would love to know how everyone here decides which stones to set if you have multiple unset stones. TIA! :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
gingercurls|1416759046|3789009 said:
Hi everyone. Since this summer, I have purchased around twenty loose stones and I have more on the way. I have been interested in colored stones and jewelry in general since I was a child and I am happy to say that I have finally moved beyond my "learner stone" phase. When I bought each stone, I definitely had at least one idea in mind for how I wanted to set it. However, I think that because I acquired so many stones so quickly (18 in less than 6 months) I am having a very difficult time prioritizing which ones to get set first. I would love to know how everyone here decides which stones to set if you have multiple unset stones. TIA! :)

Mind sharing photos of your collection? :naughty: Or at least details?

Of course, you don't have to set all of them. If I were you I'd prioritise my favourite one/s. Then go for the one/s I would wear most. You could also prioritise by hardness since softer gems will likely get less wear to keep them in good shape.

Orrrr you could put them all in a hat (hopefully in gem jars), close your eyes, and pick at random. :praise:

I'm done with learner stones. I can only see setting maybe 3 of them one day ( I don't have as many as you do, though, and your collection sounds lovely). I'm gonna save up for a long time for something I really want.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been collecting for some years and, while I have set quite a few of my colored gemstones, I still have some waiting for a mount and I continue to buy loose gemstones.

In terms of prioritizing, I tend to line them up in order of the fierceness of my desire to see the set piece finished and on my hand!

Sometimes I already know which setting I want for a certain stone; but if I'm not consistently daydreaming about seeing it on my finger (I pretty much only have rings made), then it is not a priority.

At this point, I've learned that, while I love to buy pink-colored gemstones, I don't like them on my hand - it is fortuitous I had only set a Mahenge Spinel and a Pink Tourmaline cab - I've since sold both rings, and I try to refrain to buying more pink stones since I just can't afford to have them sit in my collection box. (Though I did recently fall for a purplish pink sapphire cushion - so pretty!)

Waiting for me is part of my strategy to separate out the stones I want/need to see on my hand, and the stones I love loose but won't wear.

Waiting also allows me to be really sure of a setting choice - the process of having a stone set (the selection, the expense, the shipping, the waiting, the communications with the vendor, the real-but-rare chance the stone may be chipped during setting or lost in the mail, the even rarer situation where the finished product does not match my expectations or meet my quality standards) requires that I be sure of what I want and what I paid for.

Finally, though I've done two projects at once more than once, I really prefer to do one at a time, so each finished piece has its "my new favorite thing" time and I get a chance to concentrate it before it is integrated into my jewelry collection.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have collected a number of CSs over the years, and have yet to set any of them. Some of them are for specific projects like a charm bracelet or jewellery items with interchangeable elements. Hopefully, I'd get to set some of them next year when my financial situation is rosier.

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18 stones in 6 months!! Sounds like a great collection and I would love to see your stones in a line up (based on color or favorite order).

I would do the following
1. Start with my 3 most favorite stones of which I cannot wait to see them on my finger
2. Determine how much to spend on each based on the quality of the stone, whether you can or will wear it often (due to the softness of the stone
3. Start with the stone of which you have no doubts on how to set it.

OR

1. Pick 3 smaller stones that combine great together
2. Create inexpensive stacking rings

AND

1. Pick the 5 stones that are really really nice but not nice enough to set them.
2. Put them in a gorgeous little glass bowl and enjoy them

Happy selection and please post pics of your collection.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Hi LoversKites, marymm, and dk168

Thanks so much for the reply and advice. I am an awful photographer but I did my best and I included some vendor photos, as well. img_7646.jpg img_2750.jpg img_2400.jpg img_2044.jpg img_1233.jpg img_0909.jpg img_7886.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Some specs on the stones:

5.12 carat Vietnamese spinel
1.57 carat Tanzanian Chrysoberyl (Roger Dery)
1.21 round carat Vietnamese spinel (Steve Perry, purchased from loupe troop)
2.27 carat cushion cut Mahenge spinel (Gemfix)
1.36 round carat Mahenge spinel (Gemfix)
3.20 carat fuchsia pink spinel (Richard Homer)
2.10 carat spessartite garnet (Doug Menadue, purchased from loupe troop)
1.06 untreated Umba color shift sapphire (cut by Ryan Quantz, purchased from Jason Brim)
6.11 ctw pair of blue zircons (Richard Dery)

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Some vendor pics
10719117_10204636910353393_190393151_n.jpg chrysoberyloval1_57ct-150x120.jpg 983724_243271759215478_1249357243790484962_n.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, CS eye candies, thanks for sharing!!!

DK :love:

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Some more vendor pics
spinel_324_a.jpg 8325934_a_0.jpg spinel_324.jpg 230a.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - gorgeous collection!

Me, I'd probably start with the Mahenge cushion and the Doug Menadue spess - personally, I'd do them so they work as stackers (love the color combo!) and can also stand alone.

I also really love the Zircon pair - will those be earrings or side-stones?

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Marymm,

I was planning on using the Zircon pair in earrings with golden South Sea pearls. They are a gorgeous, electric blue color with absolutely no grey and I think that a rich yellow gold setting would really make them pop.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gingercurls|1416764523|3789061 said:
Marymm,

I was planning on using the Zircon pair in earrings with golden South Sea pearls. They are a gorgeous, electric blue color with absolutely no grey and I think that a rich yellow gold setting would really make them pop.

Sounds divine! When you begin this project, I hope you'll devote an entire thread to it, with pics galore.

I've just recently decided I *need* a deep golden SS pearl necklace/pendant - I'm thinking 5 pearls on a snake chain - I wear my deep GSS pearl earrings all the time (11.4mm pearl charms on 18kt YG small hoops), and am completely enamored with the deep golden color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of the reasons I started doing lots of multi-stone rings is to get multiple stones set at one time at a lower cost. For example, setting three stones together in one ring is less expensive than making three separate rings. For example, you could do stackers with the smaller rounds and cushions, or a multi-stone ring.

It also depends on how much you like to spend on settings. Some people only want custom settings that are thousands of dollars, and there are others like me, that do not like to spend a fortune on settings. It depends on what your budget and expectations are for a setting. There is a lady here (I forget her name, sorry!), that buys lovely rope style stacker rings from Stuller, which are very affordable, and she sets a lot of stones that way. You just have to be careful with stacking a softer stone next to a harder one.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
TL,

That is a great idea and I will have to check Stuller out ASAP. Marymm, I have been looking for a pair of deep golden South Sea pearls ever since I bought the Zircons. Do you have any vendors that you can recommend?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gingercurls|1416766313|3789079 said:
TL,

That is a great idea and I will have to check Stuller out ASAP. Marymm, I have been looking for a pair of deep golden South Sea pearls ever since I bought the Zircons. Do you have any vendors that you can recommend?

Stuller settings can be found through your jeweler (they don't sell to the public). If you're on a budget, check out the ebay setting sellers in the recommended vendor thread too. You're lucky that most of your stones look to be standard shapes, and rounds, which are always very easy to set. I have some stones that I love, but haven't yet set because of odd shapes. Cabochons are also difficult to set I recently found out the hard way.

As for pearls, I bought from this vendor many many years ago, and I was very happy, but I don't know what their reviews/quality are like today.

http://www.thepearlsource.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAqMajBRCdjejki6yjuDwSJACQeVukUkvSuuttg_F7uwSM0AkkJHaEGyYLFKws_z7TyJQqWBoCXEPw_wcB

Here's their loose collection of golden South Sea pearls.

http://www.thepearlsource.com/Loose-Pearls-Golden-South-Sea_77_collection.html

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1416766189|3789077 said:
There is a lady here (I forget her name, sorry!), that buys lovely rope style stacker rings from Stuller, which are very affordable, and she sets a lot of stones that way. You just have to be careful with stacking a softer stone next to a harder one.

Ah yes, I like her collection. I forgot who it was too. K something?

ETA: OP, thanks for the pics. So many pink spinels. :naughty:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gingercurls|1416766313|3789079 said:
TL,

Here's a link to the PS Pearl forum's Trusted Vendors thread - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/trusted-vendors-sticky.205233/

I bought my deep golden SSP pair from eBay vendor Agustus Collection - http://stores.ebay.com/AGUSTUS-Collection - I've bought other SS pearls from him too - completely trustworthy in my opinion - his company website is Eastern Trade Winds - http://www.easterntradewinds.com/store/home.php. I looked yesterday and didn't see any deep golden SS pearls on either site, but it is worthwhile to check back.

For my deep golden SS pearl necklace project, I'll be contacting Jose of www.TahitianPearls.biz as he has a couple of pieces on his website similar in style to what I'd like.

If I were you, looking for a deep GSSP pair, I'd email Jose/Tahitian Pearls.biz, but I'd suggest also Pearl Paradise (but use their Live Chat function if possible; better/faster communication that way) - let both vendors know your preferred specs (mm size and pearl grade) and ask that they send pics of what they may have that fits your criteria.

For this project, I'd also suggest creating a thread in the PS Pearls forum to get the assistance of the PS pearl experts there - they really know their stuff and will be a fount of knowledge.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prioritize based on two things: how badly I want the finished piece, and what I can afford. There is always the chance that while I'm saving up for something, I will buy a new stone that will knock that piece one down on the list. IT HAPPENS. And while I'm saving for a larger piece, I may occasionally pull money for a smaller piece out of the jewelry budget because I'm tired of waiting and want something now. Again, it happens. Just roll with it. (Though looking at your gems, I suspect your budget is a lot higher than mine. So you may not have to prioritize based on budget as much as I do, depending on the price of the settings you want.)

And BEAUTIFUL gems. :appl: :appl: Can't wait to hear about your setting ideas and see what you do with them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. How much I love the stone and want to wear it (there are stones I love but know I won't wear :-o )
2. Whether I already know the setting design I want or still have to decide
3. Cost of setting

Due to the high cost of settings, I am open to pre-loved settings and doing 3 stone jewellery.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results