shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about Scintillation and Smaller Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Vim

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at diamonds and trying to educate myself through the internet for a few months now. Please excuse my novice description of what we wanted: approximately .75ct round, just eye clean, color G-I. By looking at diamonds in person, we realized that scintillation is more important than fire in our eyes, and we actually don't really like some of the high quaitly "icy-white and high-fire" stones we have seen, but don't get me wrong, we like shine and sparkle! However, it is the posession of nice bold symetrical patterns of dark and light that her and I are so fascinated with. These stones also seem to have plenty of eye-popping bright flashes that, to us, make the diamond look like it "should". We simply do not want to sacrafice any of the qualities listed above if we are to buy a solitare diamond. I recently thought I could figure out a way to get this diamond within my $1200 budget...somehow. Maybe the diamond I speek of has a less desireable "cut" and is less marketable, but would be the perfect stone and price for us. Alas, it seems that I can not even come close to affording anything like it for my money
8.gif
If you think otherwise, or can suggest an alternative, I AM ALL EARS
18.gif

Moving on....

We are planning on having a custom ring made here Portland, Oregon, set with our 5x8mm blue sapphire which was given to us by family. We want to side it with 4 or 6 10-15pt round diamonds set in delicate bezel separated by a small bridge, in a design similar to "bubbles" earings or pendants or the Tiffany rings you may have seen. I understand that the local custom ring maker is often the best person to acquire these smalldiamonds. They are small, and some people have told me the quality won't matter much...that going for an ideal cut or H&A is practically "silly"! The fact is that I want these little stones to look great, pure and simple. I think symetry is the main factor to bring out the quality of even dark and light patterns that we find so desireable, and I am worried about this with the small stones.

Ok now the questions...

What are my options for these small stones, what price is fair?
Are there superior diamonds of this size, how can I get them?
Can anyone help me to better understand the solitare diamond I described, the symetrical patterns of light and dark?

Thank you for your response, I appreciate any advice or direction here.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I will be interested to hear what the experts have to say on this. Scintillation - or the "on off" factor - does seem to be an important part of diamond beauty yet it is not discussed often on this board. I have seen many stones without it and there is no life to them. I think it''s what makes a diamond sparkle like crazy or just kind of sit there like a white blob (which I have seen). Also, I''m wondering does an ideal cut guarantee high scintillation or is it related to the transparency of the stone also? Can you have an ideal cut stone with no life to it???

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2006 1:43:51 PM
Author:Vim

However, it is the possession of nice bold symmetrical patterns of dark and light that her and I are so fascinated with.

... then you would probably like the look of pave - each tiny diamond with its own flash of light. Even if each has its own ''play of light'' - you''d need a loupe to see it because the facets are so small.

H&A melee?, dunno... but the proportions definitely count and there is melee cut to ''ideal proportions''. IMO, overall light return is what counts in the smallest sizes.

Just a thought...

Around here, Good old Gold and WF make a point of providing these tiny ideal cuts. I don''t know how widely available these are, but definitely not the exclusive of Pricescope - you should be able to get the right stones from your jeweler as long as he accommodates the idea.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2006 1:54:33 PM
Author: diamondsrock

Also, I'm wondering does an ideal cut guarantee high scintillation or is it related to the transparency of the stone also? Can you have an ideal cut stone with no life to it???
Good question...

If in this 'ideal cut' means a limit on symmetry, crown and pavilion angles only... in theory you could, if the facets are severely 'painted'. I haven't seen such a thing in nature though.

Leaving aside such a hypothetical freak, the lower girdle facets and table size seem to have the most impact on scintillation, for any given set of proportions.

There is a bit written about this:
38.gif

Look up Garry's post on this thread (the rest of the discussion there is unrelated)

My 2c. I hope the topic will get better answer.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what val said about facets plus the upper girdles.
painting and digging have a large effect.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
what is painting and digging?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results