shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about my new Diamond that I've recently purchase

Remyxo82

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I've recently purchase a diamond awaiting to be pick up with the setting. On the EGL USA Cert it doesn't state the Cut Grade, I've contacted EGL they told me that they only state the grade if the grade is very good or better. I contacted my jeweler she told me that it's a premium cut. hmm am i getting the run arounds? Doing research on my own the dimension falls into very good. Can any one explain why doesn't EGl state the cut grade on their CERTS?

Thank you

Here are the specs:

Weight 1.51 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color E
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.24 x 7.14 x 4.58 mm
Depth 63.6%
Table 59%
Crown 15%
Pavilion 43.5%
Crown Angle 37.1°
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Girdle THIN FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade N/A

Remyxo82

Rough_Rock
Re: Questions about my new Diamond that I've recently purcha

Also for a diamond like this with those specs what is the ball park price for it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca Run your diamonds statistics through this. Any score 2 or under is a very good or excellent cut. Anything over 2... read what it says. I can tell you right now... it's not a premium cut with that depth though.

As for pricing https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/ FInd similar diamonds with this tool. It will give you pricing. USE ONLY EGL certified diamonds for comparison because GIA and AGS diamonds will not be a valid comparison as EGL diamonds are discounted due to the inaccuracies of their grading.

chicam

Shiny_Rock

Run, don't walk. Return it ASAP and get your money back. THAT is not a premium cut diamond.

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Many jewelry stores in my area carry what they call "premium" cut diamonds, or their "best" diamonds. The store can call their merchandise whatever they want, as long is they are not trying to commit fraud. So, for their market, that diamond may indeed be the best they carry.

That said, the diamond you have appears to be cut on the deep side (the 63.6% number) so that it would be heavy enough to achieve the 1.50 carat weight, which is a weight that represents a large price jump (meaning more profit for the store).

The diamond also has a thin girdle, which *may* present setting challenges and an increased risk of chipping.

If you can return it, I would. Or, if you can't return it, see if the store will work with you on an exchange and we can help you find some diamonds that you can ask the store to call in for you.

Are you willing to go down in carat weight a bit? Or up in price? Because finding a 1.51 carat diamond that's cut well will undoubtedly cost more than what you paid. However, it's hard to say because you may have paid a large markup on this stone. If you're willing to disclose what you paid and what your budget is, it will be easier to find some better options for you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

EGL uses their own cut grading methodology and it does NOT correlate to the GIA's. 'Premium' is on their scale and I think it is below 'very good'. This is not a term GIA uses. What it means is a whole different question. Not much in my opinion, but you can call them up and ask them. In this case it sounds like this grade came from the jeweler, not EGL, so ask HER what she means by it.

You can esitmate the GIA cut grades using a free tool at www.facetware.gia.edu

Why doesn't EGL include more information on their reports? On some of their reports they do, they have a large selection of options, so the real question is why they didn't choose a format that includes more information on that particular stone. EGL,and in fact every lab, lets the client chooses what report format they want so realy we're asking why THEY chose a version that told you less. Think about the question and I'll bet you can make a pretty good guess as to why they picked what they did. (Hint: It's about the money).

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

I'd also worry about the SI2...likely GIA/AGS would grade this stone lower. Are you sure it's eye clean?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Remyxo82|1315982104|3017142 said:
Hello all,

I've recently purchase a diamond awaiting to be pick up with the setting. On the EGL USA Cert it doesn't state the Cut Grade, I've contacted EGL they told me that they only state the grade if the grade is very good or better. I contacted my jeweler she told me that it's a premium cut. hmm am i getting the run arounds? Doing research on my own the dimension falls into very good. Can any one explain why doesn't EGl state the cut grade on their CERTS?

Thank you

Here are the specs:

Weight 1.51 CT
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color E
Clarity SI2
Measurements 7.24 x 7.14 x 4.58 mm
Depth 63.6%
Table 59%
Crown 15%
Pavilion 43.5%
Crown Angle 37.1°
Pavilion Angle 41.2°
Girdle THIN FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade N/A
b/c they don't wanna print "horrible cut" on their lab report :knockout:

Remyxo82

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1315987206|3017165 said:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca Run your diamonds statistics through this. Any score 2 or under is a very good or excellent cut. Anything over 2... read what it says. I can tell you right now... it's not a premium cut with that depth though.

As for pricing https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/ FInd similar diamonds with this tool. It will give you pricing. USE ONLY EGL certified diamonds for comparison because GIA and AGS diamonds will not be a valid comparison as EGL diamonds are discounted due to the inaccuracies of their grading.

Thanks by using this HCA it states GOOD. Much appreciated your input

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Remyxo82|1316068353|3018035 said:
Gypsy|1315987206|3017165 said:

Thanks by using this HCA it states GOOD. Much appreciated your input

Well, then I'd return it. Good really means --- not so good. Yes, they did lie to you.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

if you can return it...I would return it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ideally you want an ideal or excellent cut- hood cut will give you a fair amount of sparkle but not optimum sparkle and fire. As for the 1.51 ct.. The measurements you provided shows it's steep/deep cut- so it is facing up smaller than it should for it's carat weight. I would look for a better cut with a better spread.

Remyxo82

Rough_Rock

Everyone is saying to return it, I can do that but what If i got it for a good price? Shouldn't I take that into consideration? The stone was roughly 10k- I got it for 7500, should I still return it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You didn't get a good price.

Sorry. They could have listed it for 20K and given it to you for 7.5K. It doesn't matter. That diamond is ONLY WORTH 7K. And maybe less.

Here you go... http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2052159-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-E-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?cid=DiamPS&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Heck, and this one is a very good cut. It's also 7K.

You didn't get a good deal. Or a good diamond. You were told you got both. They lied.

Plus you OVERPAID by at least 500 bucks.

That's why we are telling you to return it.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Well...it doesn't matter if you got a 'good deal' on a crappy diamond? plus, it doesn't even sound like you got a good deal.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1316141415|3018638 said:
You didn't get a good price.

Sorry. They could have listed it for 20K and given it to you for 7.5K. It doesn't matter. That diamond is ONLY WORTH 7K. And maybe less.

Here you go... http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2052159-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-E-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?cid=DiamPS&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com Heck, and this one is a very good cut. It's also 7K.

You didn't get a good deal. Or a good diamond. You were told you got both. They lied.

Plus you OVERPAID by at least 500 bucks.

That's why we are telling you to return it.
Keep in mind that if you have a very deep 1.5 ct stone (yours is deep), it will face up like a smaller stone. An Ideal cut stone should have the dimensions of about 7.35 x 7.35. Yours won't look like a 1.5 ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results