shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about Idealscope - what means what?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Ok -

I see how Idealscope images work and can show you several things - primarily I am intersted in what light leakage means to the naked eye.

I can understand when taking a look at in Idealscope image - and say there is a white ring around the "center" that the resulting diamond leaks light in those spots. So I guess this would mean that "in person" from a 12-24 inches away that this diamond may have a DULL appearance and not have scintillation or much fire. I guess. Is this right?

Conversely if there is leakage on the rim - or the very outside of the diamond - say where the triangles are on the edge - what would that mean for the diamond - all of other parts being equal (red/black center areas)?

Does that mean that this diamond would be brillant, firey but lack some scintillation. Or maybe not as much for the sides. And - if in a setting - would this matter?

Lastly - if Idealscope is not blood red - but say lighter red (not pink) - does that mean it just has less umph in person.

What does a really visually DULL / bad cut diamond show on an ideal scope. Is it white - pink.

Your thoughts???

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Laney - do you have an IS yet?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
wers can be found here Laney...If you also do an archive search you will find many threads on this subject...

Heres the link: http://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have got straight direction to the most info on display about how to read those red pictures. Not much left to add...

As far as I understand, you have also asked how important are those pink and white specks? I am not sure I have seen this quantified (no such note as "30% light loss" based on IS reds, blacks, pinks and whites). The IS eliminates a popular bias: all diamonds sparkle in intense light (such as most jewelry stores take care to provide), the red picture brings the dull areas in a diamond out of the overall sparkle. This, it is very well detailed in the tutorial cited above (and others). However, comparing those red pictures may be tricky at first: seemingly minor pink or white areas appear to affect overal briliance much more on different, clearer types of display such as the three scales of the briliancescope. Of course, both tools catch the properties of the same stones and something rated low on the briliance scope really looks dull in comparison with a High-rated brother. The IS pictures will hopefully read the same, but it may take a bit of getting used to them to see how much difference in light return they actually show.

I hope I understood your question correctly. Hope this helps, too.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your answers!

Yes I did read the stuff posted on pricescope - which is really great. When searching for diamonds over the internet however - I was just curious for some opinions on what these types of bad idealscope issues would look like in person say like at the gym, grocery store, or what have you.

I guess I "read" something like "looses light - or looses a lot of light" - and I want to know if the diamond - in person - looks dull in office lighting and/or natural lighting.

I know, I know I need to physically see these diamonds first. But I am tring to equate and digest all this information into something I can understand!

I did look at the debeers post - and as a newbie I quickly understood why this would be baaad.

However, then I thought.. what does that mean? If I saw an e-ring with that idealscope image in person, say at the grocery store- would I say "wow" or would I say - "hmm she should have checked out pricescope for their advice and info first!"

Anyway... thanks for you help. My main question is - those "bad" images = no scintillation or fire = or either?

thanks as always for your opinions!

PS - While reading the PS site tutorial I saw some images describing cuts - there were 3 diamonds all of different weights - next to eachother and looked the same size. What I was looking for is possibly a simimlar image of stones - with differnet idealscope results. Anyone know of a post or link to something like that?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scintillation = dynamic observation effects of fire and light return... I guess. So there is no either-or issue.

Non-faceted diamonds look like dew drops (this leaves aside 99% of types of rough, but this is not the point here): very transparent but without any sparkle, or light return. Diamonds are some of the most transparent things in nature and it is actually quite amazing to see through them, but not in rings! The more light the cut diamond lets go, the closer it looks to a transparent spech of water. Not spectacular at all. The best cut diamonds will catch even very low light indeed (there were some awsome pictures of H&As in low lighting in the "Show me the ring" forum). In low light conditions badly cut diamonds loose their sparkling personality: all you need is to take them from under the blistering light of the jewelery store and they day away
sad.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/21/2003 5:58:16 PM laney wrote:

PS - While reading the PS site tutorial I saw some images describing cuts - there were 3 diamonds all of different weights - next to eachother and looked the same size. What I was looking for is possibly a simimlar image of stones - with differnet idealscope results. Anyone know of a post or link to something like that?----------------

Not really, but on Jonathan's site (goodoldgold if you haven't seen it) there are a few dozen IS pictures paird with Briliance Scope and ISEE2 reports for reference. among his 'discount' diamonds there is a tiny pear with low light return (in a sea of tremendous cuts, that is)- the first listed, I guess - to demonstrate what low light return looks like. The 'educational diamonds' demonstrate some of the technical finery of reading IS pictures and you may get an idea how they relate to the actual thing... That site contains a whole documentary!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks - making more sense to me now
9.gif

I just feel so darn smart
read.gif
with all of your help of course.

off to research the next topic to bug you guys about. We are trying to make 2 appts tomorrow to see stones - so I'll be either brimming with questions - or- brimming with happiness becuase we have a new stone! Wish me luck!
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those portable IS toys bring along alot of luck (red is lucky, right? at least in Romania it is!).

Get that diamond! Best of luck!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very good job folks
1.gif

Perhaps the only bit that was not explained - and it is the hardest bit - is how leakage provides contrast.
The star on the right comes from your own head blocking the light in a face up view (in symmetrically cut stones).

But the darkness in the left side (ADDED TO THE STAR IN THE CENTER IMAGE) also can make a positive contribution.

Combined Small.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
HAHHAHHAAA.........SHAGGY.....buddy!

Great to see you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results