shape
carat
color
clarity

questions about getting a sapphire e-ring

Kilda

Rough_Rock
Hi all :wavey: I'm new here. Well, I've been lurking for quite a while but just finally registered. So I have decided I really want a sapphire engagement ring. I want a simple solitaire and there are some vatche settings I really like. What I'm having trouble figuring out is how to go about it. I know for more traditional diamond rings, I could get a vendor such as whiteflash or goodoldgold to help me find a stone, sell me the setting, and set it for me. But it looks like they don't do that for other gemstones. Is there a good vendor who will do this for me? Or do I buy a loose stone somewhere, then find someone to sell me the setting and put it together? Who would that be - an online vendor? a B&M who sells vatche? :confused:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the midst of this process myself, and I'm sure the experts can chime in too, but I think the common advice is going to be to source a stone online where you can get the best selection and value. (Gemfix is a good website to start with because they have a large variety of stones with pictures and it might help narrow your search). A complete list of vendors is available in one of the stickied threads in this forum. Some folks have had luck going to the B&M stores in their cities and having them source a sapphire for you, but generally you're not going to get the best value for money or possibly the best stone this way.

Once you have the stone there are several online vendors that will set the stone for you. They range from very high end (Steven Kirsch, Hannah Maytal, Leon Mege) to less high end but still excellent (James Allen, ERD - yes I know ERD's handforged bench is just as excellent as the first group).

Or you can take you sapphire to a B&M store that has a setting you like and they can set it in that setting for you. They might do this in the store or depending on the maker of the setting and you choice of setting you may have to send your sapphire to the setting manufacturer and they will do the setting. (They will likely charge a setting fee and it could be anything from $50-$300).

There are more variations but that is the basic plan. Start with finding a stone you like and then go from there.

Good luck with your search!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Reading comprehension fail, I now see that you are interested in Vatche settings --

A very much loved online jeweler here that carries many Vatche setting is ID Jewelry. http://idjewelryonline.com/ I don't know if they set colored stones but I do know they have been very accommodating of their Pricescope customers requests.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is best that you find the sapphire that best suits you, then have either a local jeweller or a PS recommended jeweller set it in a Vatche setting that he/she orders for you. The setting fee should never be as high as $300. Even $150 is considered very expensive.

Kilda

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I've been reading for a while as I'm trying to put together the perfect engagement ring for my fiance. I was just getting to the point where I felt like I knew what I was doing in terms of diamonds....now I'm onto sapphires and I know nothing again! A little overwhelming.

Kilda

Rough_Rock
sorry to reply to myself...I just noticed that whiteflash's site says they will help locate colored stones. They have the settings I like so this would make the whole thing a lot simpler! I know that they're a respected vendor - what do you think of using them to help me find a sapphire? Would this be a reasonable option?

My partner/fiance wants to get me the ring to surprise me with it, and I hate to make her go through a whole crash course in sapphire selection. I don't mind doing it, but it seems like a lot to ask from her. Anything that would make it simpler for her would really help.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Go through the crash course...

It saves you money, by being able to select the stone yourself.
You'll be able to get exactly what you want, with the compromises you're willing to accept.
You'll like your stone that much more knowing you searched and searched and finally found the one you liked (or she searched for you)

Just my $0.02. Good luck :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will it be a custom setting or something "off the shelf" from Whiteflash? If it is custom, you'll have no choice but to allow them to source the stone since their policy is to no longer custom design for a customer's self sourced coloured gemstone. If it is one of their standard offerings, they will sell you the setting, but you'll have to confirm if they will set it.

Whiteflash is well known for superb diamonds but I do not know their source for coloured stones nor the quality. They are likely to use Pala as one of their sources. Pala is typically expensive and carry varying quality. Expect to pay a hefty markup and you still need to know enough to okay or nay the choice. You also need to know enough to let Whiteflash know what to look for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results